The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #4,696 of 9,165
Loq, you are vandal... you cut amazing T1 IC ... man oh man, could not you order plugs instead?

i personally was very happy with T1 IC and love sound thickness which it adds. for the same reason i have silver plated copper IC for my C3 BH rig which i find adds good sonics without pushing things to the brighter side.

enjoy your T1 and kudos to Gavin for creating such a lovely little amp.

@MadFloyd, i find RWAK soundstage fairly big, at least with RDB+ and T1 this is wide and envoloping... the only area where RWAK lacks a bit is dynamic and sonics richness which unfortunately might be a fault of nearly all DAPs in my understand except for Terra for which happy users found no such issues. mind this i cannot stand Terra design and only WAV playback. all IMVHO

Haha. I only removed the plugs and could very easily return it to its full glory.

May 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4,697 of 9,165
Hey folks, I've really been enjoying the stock AK100 with Polk Ultra Focus 8000s. Excellent sound. I've got two Sandisk 64gb micro sds and about 9000 songs on at the moment. I know some others have had some database issues and I think I've got a new one. The scan goes ok and if I list All Songs everything is ok but both Artist and Album only show those starting with numbers and nothing else. Anyone got the same problem or a fix?

Things I'd like to see: The ability to add tracks or albums to Now Playing either Next or At End for a good extended listening session.

Thanks

May 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #4,698 of 9,165
Quote:
Hey folks, I've really been enjoying the stock AK100 with Polk Ultra Focus 8000s. Excellent sound. I've got two Sandisk 64gb micro sds and about 9000 songs on at the moment. I know some others have had some database issues and I think I've got a new one. The scan goes ok and if I list All Songs everything is ok but both Artist and Album only show those starting with numbers and nothing else. Anyone got the same problem or a fix?

Things I'd like to see: The ability to add tracks or albums to Now Playing either Next or At End for a good extended listening session.

Thanks

Which firmware do you have installed?

May 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,699 of 9,165
just received my Gold AK100 today and... im loving it.

it sounds better than Black AK100 stock imho. much more energetic, wider soundstaging and better imaging.

May 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4,700 of 9,165
Quote:
Hello JmoonAK. Since A&K official support is here, I've got a feature request: please make it so that cover images are also read from separate .jpg or .png files placed in albums' folders, following some filenaming pattern, e.g. cover.jpg or album.jpg. Implementing this should not be a problem at all and would make me quite content. Thanks.

Hi DarkSkies,

Great idea and well noted. Your suggestion will be forwarded to our development team.

This should make it easier to see album art in the AK100. Please note that PNG album art are not supported as of firmware version 1.33.

May 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,701 of 9,165
Dear JmoonAK,
As you are an official representative of Iriver AK product, could you please comment on the difference between black and gold/silver versions of AK100. Some customers seem to notice some difference in sounding. Is this just a psychological effect or there are real differences inside?

Thanks a lot in advance.

May 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,702 of 9,165
Good question indeed :-D

May 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,703 of 9,165
Quote:
Dear JmoonAK,
As you are an official representative of Iriver AK product, could you please comment on the difference between black and gold/silver versions of AK100. Some customers seem to notice some difference in sounding. Is this just a psychological effect or there are real differences inside?

Thanks a lot in advance.

popcorn.gif

May 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,705 of 9,165
From my knowledge and from the specifications, there is no difference in sound quality between the black and the limited edition Silver & Gold AK100s. The same Wolfson WM8740 DAC and same CPU is used with the limited editions. The only thing different is color.

Let me check with the rest of the team and report back.

May 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,706 of 9,165
Quote:
From my knowledge and from the specifications, there is no difference in sound quality between the black and the limited edition Silver & Gold AK100s. The same Wolfson WM8740 DAC and same CPU is used with the limited editions. The only thing different is color.

They had reported different batteries between these units which is thought to be the very reason for sound quality differences.

May 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4,707 of 9,165
Quote:

popcorn.gif
 interested as well. might be the "new toy" syndrome.

May 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4,708 of 9,165
gold must be always better sounding by definition because it is Gold! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back