The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,636 of 9,165
Quote:
Here is the workaround: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/2490#post_9135174

shotgunshane: thanks very much for the helpful link!

CraftyClown: we've experienced simliar errors, but it was due a corrupted file downloaded from HDTracks. If firmware version 1.33 is giving you troubles with playback of tracks you ripped from a CD, a temporary solution is that you could revert back to firmware v1.32 while we investigate the issue further. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have cause you (and everyone else).

I'll forward the issue to our engineering team and should have an official answer for you guys soon. 

May 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4,637 of 9,165
Jmoon, that's great, many thanks for your kind offer of help and regards to your engineers, great to hear :-D

May 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4,639 of 9,165
Received an answer from our engineering team. I hope this helps a bit.

For MP3 files, the total track time is calculated by dividing the file size by bit rate, but bit rates of VBR encoded MP3 files is differs by each frame. Every frame’s bitrate is read and the average is calculated. If the average of every frame’s bit rate is calculated until the end of the track, it should result in the most accurate bit rate information.

However, due to performance issues on a portable device, it does not read every frame. Therefore, the device calculates the average bit rate using only a portion of the frames bit rate information. The bigger the difference in bit rate per frame, the more inaccurate the average bit rate becomes. Due to the inaccuracy of the bit rate information, total time becomes unclear and results in the loss of playback time. 

We strive to improve our products and feedback from the community like Head-Fi only helps even more. This issue is something that our engineering team is working to improve upon. We hope to see a fix for it in the near future.

May 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,640 of 9,165
I very much look forward to the gapless implementation. Also, on my AK100, with 24/192 at times, and it does not repeat in the same area, the sound deteriorates as if the bits of information are corrupted. The song continues and will return to normal but it is the distortion and deterioration of sound that is a puzzle. It is as if the dac is overwhelmed with the hi resolution information. I have another dap that will do this and it requires a firmware update to handle the information correctly. 

May 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #4,641 of 9,165
Referring back to the comments before about having to select "Connect Removable Memory" to see the AK100 via the computer's folder browser, is there any way to access this option if you don't do it when first connecting the device?

For example, if you plug in the AK when it's switched off and then power it up after it's connected, it doesn't give the option to connect to the computer. It'd be nice to have a menu option for this at any time after connection (if possible and if not already there somewhere).

May 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4,646 of 9,165
Loquah, SuperJohny, congrats on your new toys :-D

i am sure you will enjoy it a lot as i enjoy my AK100 with Vinnie mod :-D

@Loquah, i am surprised to hear you pulled a trigger on two mods, will be curious to hear your impressions. till now only Gavin had a chance and his conclusion was positive on both. i have RWAK and wanted to go Mod2 but then realised that i better would wait to grab V-Studio 3rd Annv edition when this comes available and then wait for X3 which according to rumour may be released this June if i am not mistaken.

also i rather save some pennies for AK200 perhaps :-D)))

May 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,647 of 9,165
Loquah, SuperJohny, congrats on your new toys :-D

i am sure you will enjoy it a lot as i enjoy my AK100 with Vinnie mod :-D

@Loquah, i am surprised to hear you pulled a trigger on two mods, will be curious to hear your impressions. till now only Gavin had a chance and his conclusion was positive on both. i have RWAK and wanted to go Mod2 but then realised that i better would wait to grab V-Studio 3rd Annv edition when this comes available and then wait for X3 which according to rumour may be released this June if i am not mistaken.

also i rather save some pennies for AK200 perhaps :-D)))

I surprised myself! :wink: I really love the AK100 so keen to see how much I can squeeze out of it between RWA and Rudi's friends.

I will probably sell or trade one of them after comparing so I can buy AK120/200 too! (or whatever they produce next)

Also inquiring about UM 3DD, new triple dynamic CIEM.

May 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #4,648 of 9,165
Why gapless playback is still in our dreams? If there is no hardware limitation it is simple algorithm, that precashing next track. But we are doomed if there are problems with microsd controller or cash limitation.

I forgot to ask you people having problems with indexing problems, or playback disruption: What microSD's do you use? 2x64?

May 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4,650 of 9,165
Quote:
Also inquiring about UM 3DD, new triple dynamic CIEM.

wow, 3DD, i want one :frowning2:
as always, the more there comes there more we want :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back