The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4,546 of 9,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Rockbox modded 160Gig ipod classic. Now that is the laggiest UI on a DAP that I have ever experienced.

Sorry dude I have a pair of rockboxed 7g/160gb and don't know what you are talking about. You sure you are using a stable version of rockbox?

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4,547 of 9,165
Quote:

Welcome aboard.

I have a good friend who say the SM64 are stunning with the AK100
size]

Oh yes they are. Stunning is a good way to describe them. I was floored at how much better they were on the AK100 compared to the Westone 4Rs. So much better I am spending the day using them instead so the SHURE 840s while working.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #4,548 of 9,165
Quote:

Sorry dude I have a pair of rockboxed 7g/160gb and don't know what you are talking about. You sure you are using a stable version of rockbox?

Yes I have a recent stable build. The UI is just horrible. I was using it to A/B the FLAC on the ipod versus the AK100.
I mean it runs, it doesn't crash or anything. I just don't ever want to touch the UI. It is such a pain to navigate with both the poor layout and the lag between screens.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4,549 of 9,165
Quote:
 At the same time i am loyal Apple customer having personal account at premium reseller and love all Apple products except for iPod :frowning2:

I am the opposite to apple products. I love the ipods (except for the touches) but not a big fan of apple's other products. I have never expected a modded ipod 5g can produce such astounding sound that I can enjoy so much. So much so that I can't ask for any more for my music. The word "perfect" never comes into my mind but this is the only exception.
wink_face.gif

Let me put this way. It's so freaking perfect to my ears I think it's even ridiculous. I mean that treble smoothness and vibration, extensions & control of treble/bass on both ends, the cleanness, the instrument separations, the sound stage and 3D imaging (dynamic range). It's unreal to me as I am listening right now.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,550 of 9,165
Quote:

Yes I have a recent stable build. The UI is just horrible. I was using it to A/B the FLAC on the ipod versus the AK100.
I mean it runs, it doesn't crash or anything. I just don't ever want to touch the UI. It is such a pain to navigate with both the poor layout and the lag between screens.

Haha interesting comments on ipod/RB's UI, one of the best if not the best out there considered by many.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,551 of 9,165
Honestly Gintaras it depends on how you approach it. It's better to have both the good and the bad mentioned for the benefit of the members. If they only know the good and not the bad then it is very misleading and they may make a purchase based on not knowing both sides of the story. But at the same time we have to consider preferences and subjectivity of the matter. All a balancing act really.

Lee, perfectly in agreement, this is why I inquired on this thread about unreliable battery meter, no support of cue files and else smaller issues. However I find no point in complaining about issues which are obvious. This is a well known fact that iPod is best by far when it comes to UI, display, and else gimmicks... But for many of us sound objective outweights aanything else, this is why we want to tolerate many issues if sound is right. So what's the point of comparing UI on iPod when this is clear that there is no other player that can come close to iPod???

I also agree that if UI is priority then iPod beats AK but if sound is priority then things go in opposite direction.

I also did not like that someone tells me that i am so stupid as to fool myself about the product qualities.

@Dminor, haha... You know we people are so different, so i trust you, besides i never heard moded iPod so cannot comment but i love Apple product philososphy and concept. One of the ideas is that customer does not have to think about how to make the product work, so Apples easy on the user and anyone even kid can setup Mac ... anyway i respect your right to disagree with me :-D

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,552 of 9,165
Well I guess you can take it from the perspective of feedback to the manufacturers (although I kinda have a feeling iriver could gives a rats-ass about what its customers want to some extent at least). Generally I think we all want a very good sounding player with a superb UI where everything just works. Instead of stressing out over the superfluous bs :). That includes all the inherent features of the device. Most of the time these DAPs have features that don't work as they should and it makes you wonder....
normal_smile .gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,553 of 9,165
Quote:
Haha interesting comments on ipod/RB's UI, one of the best if not the best out there considered by many.

Someone that is  new to Rockbox could very well be less than impressed by its UI (or even intimidated by all the various settings and menus), but once you're accustomed to it, it works very well.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,554 of 9,165
Lee, agree that customer service of iRiver perhaps is same crap service as at Cowon for example... I once had issue with Cowon and their service never ever replied :frowning2:

perhaps this is South Korean manufacture tradition??? :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #4,555 of 9,165
Quote:
Lee, agree that customer service of iRiver perhaps is same crap service as at Cowon for example... I once had issue with Cowon and their service never ever replied :frowning2:

perhaps this is South Korean manufacture tradition??? :)

lmao not sure if they'd like to be labeled like that. But I know where you're coming from... I love Korean food though.
evil_smiley.gif

So you have experience with Cowon players? Where you able to get playlists working on them? I was never able to on the J3 as well. Then again many DAPs don't seem to work right with the feature for some strange reason. Only the iphone4, DX100 (for the most part, still not perfect) and the Sansa Fuze....

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,556 of 9,165
Hey, fellas, i'm unable to set cover art for albums.. i've added a jpg to the folder of the album  and named it "Artist - Album name", am i missing something?

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,557 of 9,165
yes, Cowon service is nightmare so i am used to that kind of customer care attitudes since then :wink:

Trendin, i stopped caring about album art when changing to AK... I believe you must embed art into music file for the player to read it, my jpegs do not work as well but i am too lazy and screen resolution on AK makes album art not so appealing for me.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #4,558 of 9,165
@Trendin I think you will want to embed the album art as Gintaras mentioned. I use mp3 tag to do that. Plus you want to make sure the album art isn't much over 400x400 or it won't show up. The DX100 had a similar limitation as well. Most of my album art showed up with no issues at all.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4,559 of 9,165
Quote:

Maybe I am in a minority but I just don't "get" the UI, layout, navigation, notification, user feedback of the RB UI. It's just lost on me. I do not enjoy interacting with it.

The AK100 on the other hand is fast and friendly in comparison.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4,560 of 9,165
Thanks, wow that's a lot of work then :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back