The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,096 of 9,165
It would be MUCH nicer to have a percentage reading rather than what they use. RockBox fixed this on the H series and it is nice. Wouldn't seem too hard to do. Oh, and gapless. :^)

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,097 of 9,165
Well I am tempted by one of these, UI, size, two sd card slots. One person at least seems happy with the westone 4Rs with an ak100, it's difficult to see the reality through all the impedance stuff though. And £600 in UK with case is a lot of cash on something a lot of people seem to think is rubbish with IEMs. Decisions are never easy...

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #4,098 of 9,165
Quote:
Vinnie, can you pass the message about battery meter and else issues.

Btw, i tested battery on my RWAK100 today and got about 10-11 hours of uninterrupted playback... First 8 hours at 65 loud volume with amplifier and next 2 hours at 50 volume without amp. Do you think this is normal or should i look to replace battery in my Rwak?

Hi Gintaras,

Your battery life sounds fine, and I recommend you charge it up overnight (at least 8 hours) before doing a battery test.  Any USB charger will work, as will a computer's USB port as long as the
computer is powered on and not in sleep mode (which usually turns off the USB power).  I charge mind with an iPad charger and switch the USB cables.  

Keep in mind that playing high res files drains the battery faster than redbook, as they require more processing power.  So there are a few variables like this.

Yes - I know the AK100 battery gauge is a little "non-linear."  It should be able to be corrected in the firmware if iRiver wants to do it.

I'll introduce myself and see how they respond to me - and I'll start by mentioning the GOOD things about the player first. 
wink.gif

Anyone else on these thread going to the NY Headfi Meet on Saturday?

Vinnie

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,099 of 9,165
Quote:
I'll introduce myself and see how they respond to me - and I'll start by mentioning the GOOD things about the player first. 
wink.gif

Vinnie

Should be interesting.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #4,100 of 9,165
Thanks Vinnie, wish you a great get together and fully agree with your plan because AK100 is nice machine and a few small improvements can boost its sales. I assume you are RedWineAudio guru who moded AK and I am very happy with this product. Kudos to you for doing great job. This player is really good and versatile. As concerns battery since i come from Cowon any other player will not be enough for battery life, you know Cowons can play for a week from single charge.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #4,101 of 9,165
Quick tip for Aussies with the AK100 (or thinking of buying):

It seems that Australia Post and various international couriers will not carry electronic devices with lithium batteries into the US. This means you can't ship your AK100 to Red Wine Audio for modification without opening it and removing the battery. It might be easier to just buy the RWAK100 initially if you think you'll be getting the RWA mod done later anyway.

Not sure if there are similar restrictions for anyone considering the Indonesian modification.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,104 of 9,165
i think it is possible to leave my contact and they will use this if want.

however this may be not necessary, i loaded rwak yesterday and it works since 9 am non stop and still running showing some 70% charge, which means close to 10 hours continious playback. i will see how much can be squeezed from rwak but i feel battery must be ok. player spent good 8 hours amped at 65 volume and now is pumping alone for two hours at 50 volume since the amp was discharged. so far it looks fine but battery meter is highly unreliable and needs fix in firmware like was written here prior to my post.

if battery would be bad it would not last 10 hours for sure.

Hi Gintaras
Please try to charge your RWA AK 100 with blackberry charger below , like Vinnie said about 8 hours , my AK 100 stock can last about 16 hours with volume 65 .
I charge all my dap or portable amp that have 5 volt with this blackberry charger
Good luck

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,105 of 9,165
I did not know there is such form. They normally asked if there is any banned substance, i assume they are talking about drugs or alcohol. I did told them few times it is an mp3 player, ipod, they know those things have battery inside the, they never stopped me. 
Quote:

Did you just not disclose the fact that it had a battery / sign the declaration and send?

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4,106 of 9,165
Quote:
I did not know there is such form. They normally asked if there is any banned substance, i assume they are talking about drugs or alcohol. I did told them few times it is an mp3 player, ipod, they know those things have battery inside the, they never stopped me. 

That's weird because I just said the exact same thing (I said it was like an iPod) and they said there is an agreement in place that Australia Post will not carry any devices with installed batteries into the US. He said to use another carrier, but when I tried to book with DHL, their list of excluded items clearly stated that items with lithium batteries are not able to be carried.

I guess I could ship it and pretend I don't know that, but I'd be concerned about extended delays and the product being returned.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #4,109 of 9,165
I think they are just trying to make you go down the DHL route due to their agreement with them. Just go to a different post office and send it. If they asked what it is tell them it is a music gear, non-flamable. 

Ofcourse DHL is a much better service but it can be costly. I've purchased ans send many items with internal batteries, till now never had any issues with customs. 
Quote:

That's weird because I just said the exact same thing (I said it was like an iPod) and they said there is an agreement in place that Australia Post will not carry any devices with installed batteries into the US. He said to use another carrier, but when I tried to book with DHL, their list of excluded items clearly stated that items with lithium batteries are not able to be carried.

I guess I could ship it and pretend I don't know that, but I'd be concerned about extended delays and the product being returned.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,110 of 9,165

Similar story's here, I have sold DAP's using Australia post internationally without being questioned. written MP3 player in the deceleration. I think it really comes down to who you get because it's not unheard of, I've had a few DAP's need to come by road within Australia, not every time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back