The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,126 of 9,165
Vinnie, but max volume sucks the battery fast i am afraid, even 65 lasts pretty longer than maxed to 75... :frowning2:

Actually Rwak sounds great without amp so adding amp is your own preference rather than a necessity... Stock AK100 might be a different story however.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,127 of 9,165
Quote:
Vinnie, but max volume sucks the battery fast i am afraid, even 65 lasts pretty longer than maxed to 75... :frowning2:

Actually Rwak sounds great without amp so adding amp is your own preference rather than a necessity... Stock AK100 might be a different story however.

I am surprised that max (75) would drain the battery faster than min (0) when connected to an external amp.  External amps
generally have an input impedance of 10kohm (10,000 ohms) or greater - not 32 ohms or similar like headphones.  So the 
amount of current feeding to an external headphone amp has to be very small, maybe less than 0.2mA.  That is not going to
drain the battery down compared to all the other circuitry that is drawing much greater current.

Again, plugging into headphones is a different story...

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4,128 of 9,165
Thanks Vinnie, i am not very knowledgeable about impedance besides theory i learnt in school.
But i somehow expected Rwak battery to last longer than 10 hours even with Flac... Most material i have is 16 bit and only few is 24bits since i find problematic to find true high resolution for music i like while i find no sense in 24 bit ripped from redbook CDs. So 16 bit should not be so heavy for Rwak.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4,129 of 9,165
Quote:
With the micro sd, does all music on cards and internal memory show up as one data store?

It shows up as 3 separate storage devices on a computer.

Once you've loaded your music, you can access all tracks on the AK100 as if thy're on one storage device (i.e. if you look in "Artists" it shows everything on internal + both SDs). You can also browse music on the AK100 by folder which allows you to see the separate stores again.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #4,130 of 9,165
Does anyone know whether it is safe to use a 2 amp charger from my samsung tablet with the ak100?  I am thinking that it might charge faster than the kindle charger that it am using now; that is only rated .85 amp.  My understanding is that chargers are supposed to only draw the max current allowed by the device.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,131 of 9,165
Quote:
Does anyone know whether it is safe to use a 2 amp charger from my samsung tablet with the ak100?  I am thinking that it might charge faster than the kindle charger that it am using now; that is only rated .85 amp.  My understanding is that chargers are supposed to only draw the max current allowed by the device.

It won't matter. The AK100 or any other device will only draw what they are set up for. You could use a 50 amp charger you just need the minimum required for the charging of whatever device it is you are charging and what it specifies but over that minimum is fine.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,132 of 9,165
Quote:
It won't matter. The AK100 or any other device will only draw what they are set up for. You could use a 50 amp charger you just need the minimum required for the charging of whatever device it is you are charging and what it specifies but over that minimum is fine.

Thanks.  That confirms what I thought.  I wonder though what the max current is for the ak100, whether it would charge faster with a 2 amp charger or is already maxed with a .85 amp charger.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4,133 of 9,165
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks.  That confirms what I thought.  I wonder though what the max current is for the ak100, whether it would charge faster with a 2 amp charger or is already maxed with a .85 amp charger.

I am not so sure anymore. 

The general rule I have now is, if the device comes with a charger then use that. If it comes just with a usb cable, I use the port off the X-box. 

I have had too many devices where either the battery life is drastically shortened or on one device that melted the batteries, and another that went bang and started smoking/blew up....................

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #4,135 of 9,165
Quote:

I am not so sure anymore. 

The general rule I have now is, if the device comes with a charger then use that. If it comes just with a usb cable, I use the port off the X-box. 

I have had too many devices where either the battery life is drastically shortened or on one device that melted the batteries, and another that went bang and started smoking/blew up....................

If the charger has the charging circuit, then you have to use that charger. This is sometimes the case but with the DX100, the circuit for the charging is in the DX not in a charging unit. Also, some require a regulated charger and some do not. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4,136 of 9,165
Quote:
If the charger has the charging circuit, then you have to use that charger. This is sometimes the case but with the DX100, the circuit for the charging is in the DX not in a charging unit. Also, some require a regulated charger and some do not. 

Yeah that is point I was trying to make........so many variables
size]

With a usb cable supplied for charging, then I now just prefer to keep with the usb standard, unless a charger is supplied, I will just used standardized ports such as those off the PC or X Box and PS3 and shy away from these 2amp multi usb charging ports. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #4,137 of 9,165
Yeah when I had my unit I only charged it on the PC to be safe. Not worth the risk especially after having it modded and voiding the warranty in the process...

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #4,138 of 9,165
a proper quality USB wall charger will do a good job... while computer power blocks are also prone to smoke. i use Apple iPad and iPhone wall charger without a problem. i also have couple of older quality USB wall chargers from Motorola and Cowon, both work fine.

the only problem i find is RWAK similar to Cowon decided to make proprietary USB cable plug which calls in for Apple adapter while for else things i prefer Motorola which is a slim charger and can fit easily in a pocket.

what pisses me off is RWAK using proprietary USB which is DUMB DUMB DUMB decision... why on earth not make a normal USB inlet on the player?

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #4,139 of 9,165
Quote:
a proper quality USB wall charger will do a good job... while computer power blocks are also prone to smoke. i use Apple iPad and iPhone wall charger without a problem. i also have couple of older quality USB wall chargers from Motorola and Cowon, both work fine.

the only problem i find is RWAK similar to Cowon decided to make proprietary USB cable plug which calls in for Apple adapter while for else things i prefer Motorola which is a slim charger and can fit easily in a pocket.

what pisses me off is RWAK using proprietary USB which is DUMB DUMB DUMB decision... why on earth not make a normal USB inlet on the player?

They use a micro USB, which has been around for some time. It is in pretty common use now. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #4,140 of 9,165
i do not know why micro USB but i would prefer standard Mini B plug... found on many devices.

as this Friday morning let me take some ramblings out here :)

a few shortcomings of AK100 for me:

a) no support of cue lists
b) no support of gapless playback
c) micro USB instead of standard mini USB (c'mon, was this soooo necessary?)
d) battery meter unreliable and waste because you cannot refer to its readings
e) battery life varying pretty much in various usage conditions, sometimes enough and sometimes sucks...
f) impedance issue (AK100 only)

it would be nice IF AK people would listen to their customers.... otherwise i can only hope that big boys akin Naim, MF, Meridian and else step into portable audio... but this will be the end of days for AK, so do they really want this to happen? loyal customers are very important and they must pay more attention to us ... i can tell from my experience with MF EB50 these high-end gurus know it much better than many mainstream companies so i dream for them to kick the buts of AK and Ibasso and the likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back