The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #4,036 of 9,165
Has anyone had the pleasure of trying both the AK100 and RWAK100 (or other modded AK100) with a quality amp like the T1?

I'm trying to work out 2 things before I consider the mod:
1. Does the mod improve SQ when used with external amp?
2. Does adding an external amp to the modded AK provide significant benefits as it does with stock AK?

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #4,037 of 9,165
Quote:
AK100 Battery Update

5 hours in of non-stop play (90% FLAC 16/44, 10% FLAC 32/96-192) at 50% volume and the battery meter shows one increment down from full (i.e. showing around 75-80% charge still)

Unless the graphic is completely inaccurate and useless (a possibility), the little AK is on track for a mammoth 20+ hour performance which seems unlikely, but maybe the 50% volume is the key for those using external amps.

curious to hear from you about battery meter. i mean would be curious to hear what the meter will be showing you before your DAP powers off itself.
still i do not expect miracles and it seems more people now confirmed the meter being crap.

i charged RWAK so will do some listen at 50% volume to see how battery lasts.

thanks for many useful responses.

as regards RWAK sonics to me there is not much warmth in its presentation, rather contrary I find sometimes RWAK can sound even edgy a bit. i also agree about super wide stereo imaging. overall RWAK does a great job with sound. but where i find a small limitation is sound layering and full dynamic.... after listening enough to RWAK i have a feel that this player tries to be overly energetic in retrieving every subtle musical detail which sometimes comes at the expense of sound layering and micro-dynamics decreasing the stage depth. nothing wrong here since quite a few highly regarded high end CDPs do the same, if someone ever listened to the famous Cyrus CD8se he would understand me.

overall i find RWAK crisp sounding and portraying instruments very well, i just hope that battery issue will go away once i re-adjust my user habits.

:-D

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #4,038 of 9,165
Ak100 or hm-901 for my tg!334s when on the go? I wonder.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #4,039 of 9,165
I will probably come back to you with thoughts when the 901 becomes widely avaible, as I have intentions adding this player.....

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #4,041 of 9,165
Supposedly but the problem is having the amp have good enough volume control without destroying your ears and running into channel imbalance.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,042 of 9,165
Quote:
I've got a question.

Aren't you suppose to run the AK100 at 100% volume (75) to negate the effects of built in DAC when connecting to an external amp?

That's what the literature says. I don't fully understand it because the sound is still passing through the amp. My understanding (which may be very wrong) is that the volume adjusts the DAC's scaling of the low-level analog signal that goes to the amplifier FETs.

I played around a bit and couldn't hear a significant difference between lower volumes and full vol, but I didn't give it a lot of time or testing.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #4,044 of 9,165
I will probably come back to you with thoughts when the 901 becomes widely avaible, as I have intentions adding this player.....

Thanks spkrs01, I am looking forward to your thoughts on the subject.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,045 of 9,165
This small little fellow is a killer.
Battery life is good too ! 
If used solely, some may like it , some may not, as it sound very clean, with analog feel.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #4,047 of 9,165
I've cranked the volume to wear this sucker out and it's still going!! I might have to give you a report on the battery tomorrow.

Don't judge playing time based on my posts today - I had to reload some tunes this afternoon so it re-charged the device partially. The 16-20 hour mark seems very achievable for 50-60% volume.

I'll keep it going tomorrow and watch the battery graphic to see how accurately it reports.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,048 of 9,165
This combination is really sounding so so good!!!

The AK100 with the FitEar MH335DW and 000 cable. The MH335DW are like marbles in feel and finish, simply awesome......

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,050 of 9,165
congrats mate. if you do not mind me asking - how much you paid for your FitEar?

Loquah, i am all ears to hear about battery and meter. i will do more experimenting to see if Ok or i need to exchange the battery. hopefully i will not have to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back