The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,856 of 9,165
Quote:
It's here... and wow! Sounds incredible with my Ultrasone HFI-680 (closest thing to hand) even with 16/44 files.

I noticed no replaygain. Thinking wav files with levelling during sync from MediaMonkey might be the go. Anyone have any other/better solutions for volume fluctuation?

Hey buddy........

Phew! Glad you like it.....
size]

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #3,857 of 9,165
Quote:
It's here... and wow! Sounds incredible with my Ultrasone HFI-680 (closest thing to hand) even with 16/44 files.

I noticed no replaygain. Thinking wav files with levelling during sync from MediaMonkey might be the go. Anyone have any other/better solutions for volume fluctuation?

Don't? Proper leveling involves increasing to a higher floating bit rate and rendering with dither. If you're anal enough to use wav, just live with the minor issue.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,858 of 9,165
Hey buddy........

size]

Me too! I trust your opinions though and you're right about it bringing you close to the music (but the stage is open and spacious).

I haven't heard Tera or DX100, but the AK100 strikes me as a great midpoint with screen, easy interface and file flexibility, but not a brick.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3,859 of 9,165
I am comparing my Rocoo BA and AK100, I cannot lie Rocoo BA hold its ground very well, meaning my ears prefers Rocoo BA more than AK100. 
Well that is a shame aint?

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3,860 of 9,165
I am comparing my Rocoo BA and AK100, I cannot lie Rocoo BA hold its ground very well, meaning my ears prefers Rocoo BA more than AK100. 
Well that is a shame aint?

I believe you dude.

The Rocco BA is a great player, it might not have the widest soundstage, with some IEM's but it surely gives my amped CK4 / BH rig a run for it's money,l the detailing levels are fairly vivid and it does vocals better than any other player I have tried. It leaves players like the Hifiman HM-601 for dust IMO. I really like the tone it has.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,861 of 9,165
Treble and detail on BA is much better than AK100. Depending on the style of music that really matters. For me it does as I listen to mostly female vocal, jazz and classical genera. While AK100 has better bass and soundstage to my humble ears Rocoo BA wins on detail and treble. This is why I sold my HM-601 and kept my Rocoo BA . I think it comes down to the opamp they used. They really ensured identifying that opamp is impossible, I will posting the inside of BA right now in the BA thread.

I really thing with better UI hisound can win any DAP any day. If it was not for the number of HD tracks I have bought in the past two years I would be selling my AK100 but honestly I really cannot tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1. I think the important thing is all recording is dynamic range. A badly compressed file will sound bad regardless of its bit-rate. My ears can tell if a track is badly compressed but in terms of bit-rate I am sad (or glad) that I cannot really tell them apart. 
Quote:
I believe you dude.

The Rocco BA is a great player, it might not have the widest soundstage, with some IEM's but it surely gives my amped CK4 / BH rig a run for it's money,l the detailing levels are fairly vivid and it does vocals better than any other player I have tried. It leaves players like the Hifiman HM-601 for dust IMO. I really like the tone it has.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,862 of 9,165
Quote:
Treble and detail on BA is much better than AK100. Depending on the style of music that really matters. For me it does as I listen to mostly female vocal, jazz and classical genera. While AK100 has better bass and soundstage to my humble ears Rocoo BA wins on detail and treble. This is why I sold my HM-601 and kept my Rocoo BA . I think it comes down to the opamp they used. They really ensured identifying that opamp is impossible, I will posting the inside of BA right now in the BA thread.

I really thing with better UI hisound can win any DAP any day. If it was not for the number of HD tracks I have bought in the past two years I would be selling my AK100 but honestly I really cannot tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1. I think the important thing is all recording is dynamic range. A badly compressed file will sound bad regardless of its bit-rate. My ears can tell if a track is badly compressed but in terms of bit-rate I am sad (or glad) that I cannot really tell them apart. 

On my ear i beg to differ but im using the RWAK100 and this is what i hear while the BA is a tad bright for me the RWAK100 has better clarity than the BA and cleaner treble specially in female vocals . The BA is kinda picky on song choices while the RWAK100 can play anything with authority and the price difference really show the capability of it better iu, faster system ,more storage and better built quality

comparison 
RWAK>Ipod 5.5g w/ arrow 4G/National>Rocoo BA using Heir 4.ai with Magnus Cable

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,863 of 9,165
That I agree with you, it comes down to your music selection. I do not own the RWAK100 but compared to stock AK100 and the music I listen to BA seems to be a better choice. I will upload few tracks and let you listen if you dont mind. 

I am definitely keeping my AK100 as I got a good deal for it and I like its form factor however at $699 would you be able to recommend it at a heart beat?
Quote:
On my ear i beg to differ but im using the RWAK100 and this is what i hear while the BA is a tad bright for me the RWAK100 has better clarity than the BA and cleaner treble specially in female vocals . The BA is kinda picky on song choices while the RWAK100 can play anything with authority and the price difference really show the capability of it better iu, faster system ,more storage and better built quality

comparison 
RWAK>Ipod 5.5g w/ arrow 4G/National>Rocoo BA using Heir 4.ai with Magnus Cable

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #3,864 of 9,165
Hey buddy........

size]

Me too! I trust your opinions though and you're right about it bringing you close to the music (but the stage is open and spacious).

I haven't heard Tera or DX100, but the AK100 strikes me as a great midpoint with screen, easy interface and file flexibility, but not a brick.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,865 of 9,165
It's the little things that are nice with the AK100 - just went to put on the screen and back plate protectors supplied in the box only to realise that there are already protectors on both surfaces (even underneath the extra ones used for packaging and shipping protection). I know it's little, but it's a really nice touch.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,866 of 9,165
Quote:
It's the little things that are nice with the AK100 - just went to put on the screen and back plate protectors supplied in the box only to realise that there are already protectors on both surfaces (even underneath the extra ones used for packaging and shipping protection). I know it's little, but it's a really nice touch.

agreed.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3,867 of 9,165
Quote:
What do you need to change in the M3u to make it work, esmBOS?

I assume everyone uses the same folder structure on their desktop computer as they do on their AK100? If so, exporting a playlist from for example Mediamonkey to AK100 works in a few simple steps.

1) Export your m3u playlist from Mediamonkey and put it in the playlistfolder of the AK100.

2) Change the file extention from m3u -> pls

3) Open pls file with notepad (or any text editor)

4) Correct paths by find and replace. In my case replace D:\Users\esan\Music\-- FLAC --\ with /nand3/Music/ (Edit->Replace)
5) Correct all backslashes by replacing them with slashes ( \ -> / ) (via Edit->Replace)

6) Done!

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,868 of 9,165
Quote:
I assume everyone uses the same folder structure on their desktop computer as they do on their AK100? If so, exporting a playlist from for example Mediamonkey to AK100 works in a few simple steps.

1) Export your m3u playlist from Mediamonkey and put it in the playlistfolder of the AK100.

4) Correct paths by find and replace. In my case replace D:\Users\esan\Music\-- FLAC --\ with /nand3/Music/ (Edit->Replace)
5) Correct all backslashes by replacing them with slashes ( \ -> / ) (via Edit->Replace)

6) Done!

That is what I do on my DX100 apart from the pls and the slashes so it will be simple ! Great, thanks !

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,869 of 9,165
Quote:

6) Done!

This should be posted on the first page as tips and tricks for using AK100

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3,870 of 9,165
Quote:
This should be posted on the first page as tips and tricks for using AK100

Agree!

Also, in MediaMonkey you can select to use the Linux folder separator "/" (see below) so that's one less step. I tried forcing relative paths, but it didn't help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back