The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3,811 of 9,165
Quote:
The volume knob is really a turn off >< and i dont want to spend another 40$+ just for a piece of plastic to protect it. Anyone found a solution on how to keep it safe? 

It doesn't actually attach to the volume control pot directly. It is very solid, even though it doesn't feel that way. I have had the unit apart and it is fine. The knob is aluminum and there is a nice set screw internally to hold it in place. I actually like the way they did this as there is zero stress on the device that actually changes the volume.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,812 of 9,165
Quote:
The volume knob is really a turn off >< and i dont want to spend another 40$+ just for a piece of plastic to protect it. Anyone found a solution on how to keep it safe? 

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume knob live, without worry

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,813 of 9,165
Quote:
It doesn't actually attach to the volume control pot directly. It is very solid, even though it doesn't feel that way. I have had the unit apart and it is fine. The knob is aluminum and there is a nice set screw internally to hold it in place. I actually like the way they did this as there is zero stress on the device that actually changes the volume.

this sound reassuring 

thanks

side story:
When my brother came home and saw the RWAK100. He ask me what it is and how much is it , i told him a music player around 800$ then suddenly he tried it with the Heir 4.ai and kept telling me there's nothing special about it. He is using a Iphone 4s and Ipad with stock earphone and doesnt really have any idea on HiFi. He kept telling me i got scammed and tricked on buying expensive stuff even though im not a professional musician/DJ and told me to just buy beats because its look better. well even my co workers doesnt get it anway i guess this really isnt for everybody and some people are just blinded aesthetically.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3,814 of 9,165
Quote:

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume know live, without worry

my dignis leather case just arrive today and i only saw this like a couple of hours ago and couldnt find it online. and flip case really isnt my style they make things a bit bulky.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3,817 of 9,165
Quote:
Does it sound better than TP? AK100 has larger output impedance than TP. A bit weird if Miracles sounds better with AK100 than with TP.

No I still prefer the overall TP sound sig, but they are very different. The AK100 has more punch but the Tera sounds much more liquid and natural. The TP sounds wonderful with the Miracles, but has no deep bass AT ALL. So depending on the track you could notice the problem or not.

The AK100 drives the Miracles without any problem to my ears, which shows that it is not the output impedance that is the problem on the Miracles with the Tera, but like James444 said:

"Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP."

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,819 of 9,165
Quote:
this sound reassuring 

thanks

side story:
When my brother came home and saw the RWAK100. He ask me what it is and how much is it , i told him a music player around 800$ then suddenly he tried it with the Heir 4.ai and kept telling me there's nothing special about it. He is using a Iphone 4s and Ipad with stock earphone and doesnt really have any idea on HiFi. He kept telling me i got scammed and tricked on buying expensive stuff even though im not a professional musician/DJ and told me to just buy beats because its look better. well even my co workers doesnt get it anway i guess this really isnt for everybody and some people are just blinded aesthetically.

It is a scam. I don't even have a dap. I just enjoy seeing everyone thinking they are hearing good music, when they could do the same thing with any cheap smart phone. :^)

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #3,820 of 9,165
So what are the chances of seeing pics of the mod to fix output impedance? There are some great DIY guides for iMod. Would love to see same for AK100.

On another note, it's interesting that AK100 gets caned for 22ohm output impedance, but Tera Player doesn't. I know TP has 10ohm option, buy that's still technically way off the mark for low impedance IEMs.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,821 of 9,165
Quote:
So what are the chances of seeing pics of the mod to fix output impedance? There are some great DIY guides for iMod. Would love to see same for AK100.

On another note, it's interesting that AK100 gets caned for 22ohm output impedance, but Tera Player doesn't. I know TP has 10ohm option, buy that's still technically way off the mark for low impedance IEMs.

I didn't take any images when I did mine. You are working with some tiny smds and tiny traces so you have to be careful. There is a soldering point before the 22ohm resistor.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3,822 of 9,165
Quote:
It is a scam. I don't even have a dap. I just enjoy seeing everyone thinking they are hearing good music, when they could do the same thing with any cheap smart phone. :^)

I just listen to a portable radio. I don't like any specific music, anything that is playing and has bass is fine.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,824 of 9,165
Quote:

As I was saying last night the new case does the job and I am able to leave the volume knob live, without worry

What does the top side of the case look like (where the HP out is)? Where can I buy it?

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #3,825 of 9,165
I haven't open my TP (yet..) but output cap can indeed be the problem. Getting a bit technical here, TP amp is probably a single positive supply amp so output cap (coupling, in series) is needed to block a dc signal and reduce click and pop. Typically, 100uF is used to get adequate bass response with 16ohm headphone but in some cases this might not be enough, like with the miracle. Big chance that Charles uses smaller cap if cut off freq is calculated with 50ohm (portapro impedance).

The AK100 in the other hand probably uses a proper pos/neg rail supply or an extra amp for the ground so output cap is not needed. Technically this is superior than a single positive supply.

No I still prefer the overall TP sound sig, but they are very different. The AK100 has more punch but the Tera sounds much more liquid and natural. The TP sounds wonderful with the Miracles, but has no deep bass AT ALL. So depending on the track you could notice the problem or not.

The AK100 drives the Miracles without any problem to my ears, which shows that it is not the output impedance that is the problem on the Miracles with the Tera, but like James444 said:

"Capacitors in the output stage: The TP has been reported to having capacitors in the output stage and not being able to drive phones < 50ohms properly. The result is bass roll-off, which gets gradually worse with lower impedance. Note that this affects all types of IEMs, dynamic drivers as well as BAs. For instance, the 16ohms IE800 show a substantial reduction in bass when driven from the TP."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back