The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,276 of 9,165
Quote:

Not everyone has ear wax problems. Some will be worse than others. I went to the audiologist and she said I had a small amount of ear wax right at the base of the crook of my ear canal. She did a small sweep and got it out. Was very minor as I generally keep my ears very clean. So not everyone will have wax build up. My hearing did improve slightly after that (not much but noticeable).

I also believe headphones/IEMs first followed by both Amp/DAC. I believe the DAC to be just as important as the Amp. If you have a crappy DAC it will hold your entire setup back. I felt this way regarding the UHA6 MKII DAC and even the one on the UHA4 (in comparison to my higher end DACs).

I know but one of the problems is the way we clean our ears, some of us instead of cleaning our ears end up pushing the wax further inside of them, I said some of us o.k. I am not saying everyone and I say this since most of of my family members work in clinics so I know what I am talking about, ironic isn't it that my ears were full of ear wax, so my best advice for the people reading this post you can go to your local pharmacy and get a ear wax removal kit, and back to the main theme, I think you need a good dac first then an amp and finally a good set of headphones, why would you need a good amp first? remember garbage in, garbage out, and we all know we can get good set of headphones for just a few bucks like monoprice or some Koss.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,277 of 9,165
Quote:
I think you need a good dac first then an amp and finally a good set of headphones, why would you need a good amp first? remember garbage in, garbage out, and we all know we can get good set of headphones for just a few bucks like monoprice or some Koss.

By that logic, you would rather have a msb diamond dac running into a fiio e11 driving a monoprice 8320 vs having an odac running into a mjolnir driving an lcd3? 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,279 of 9,165
Quote:
I think you need a good dac first then an amp and finally a good set of headphones, why would you need a good amp first? remember garbage in, garbage out, and we all know we can get good set of headphones for just a few bucks like monoprice or some Koss.

for MY experience as a newb a few years ago, I don't think I would have the acoustic knowledge to hear the difference between dacs  (or even amps for that matter).   I think most lay people who are honest to themselves, however, can hear a difference between say ibuds and Senn CX300b-II.  So I would advise a new comer to get a good pair of easy to drive headphones first and get used to the sound signature of those bad boys before changing other components (preferably one component at at time; the golden rule for evaluating new gear).

In the end, the amp and DAC should always be TRANSPARENT (as in no sound) and I think most reputable builders of amps/dacs strive for the goal of transparency (all the specs in the end, are there to help us measure transparency in an objective way).

If working in the context of a budget, however, I would say 2:1:1 ratio of headphone:amp:dac is a good place to start (EG total price of amp+DAC should equal price of headphones)

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,281 of 9,165
Quote:
In any case, this thread is being derailed a little too far. Let's stop and come back to the AK100 =)

I got my email with shipping info for my RWAK 100.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,282 of 9,165
Quote:

I guess holding off until the NYC Meet in April would be the best course of action...I'm sure some of the guys have DX100's and maybe someone will have a RWAK100 or a Terra Player to try. In my work, I have access to tens of thousands of high quality audio tracks...it's a matter of picking and choosing what fits the media and flows the nicest.

Hey Ice, will this be in conjunction with the NY Audio show?

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #1,283 of 9,165
The NY Audio Show is April 12-15th...and the Meet is the 20th. I plan on going to the show at least twice...maybe pick something up before the meet lol.

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,284 of 9,165
Hello all
I am aware of the show , but how may obtain ticket for meet ?

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,285 of 9,165
Hi guys.. Just demo-ed the AK100 today and gosh I've gotta have one.
I've seen mixed-review of this thing and the moment I really listen to it I simply love its sound signature. Somehow it paired really well with my relatively cold-sounding IEMs like the CK10 and ER4S which I really love.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,286 of 9,165
Quote:
Hello all

They haven't released ticket information yet. It is open to the public...so at the very least...mark your calendar and maybe a bunch of us from the NYC area can go together...get a group thing going!

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,288 of 9,165
Quote:
The NY Audio Show is April 12-15th...and the Meet is the 20th. I plan on going to the show at least twice...maybe pick something up before the meet lol.

LOL..of course you do! I'll be there also, going for Crossroads and HAVE to check out the new goodies in between shows :)

Quote:
Hello all

Quote:
They haven't released ticket information yet. It is open to the public...so at the very least...mark your calendar and maybe a bunch of us from the NYC area can go together...get a group thing going!

Please let us know. I started a thread about the show and only got 3 hits. I was starting to wonder if it is a popular show!

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,289 of 9,165
Awesome! Then we'll definitely have to hook up! I'm going to call the hotel Monday and see what I can find out about tickets. I know a few great bars around there as well...LOL

:)

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,290 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi guys.. Just demo-ed the AK100 today and gosh I've gotta have one.
I've seen mixed-review of this thing and the moment I really listen to it I simply love its sound signature. Somehow it paired really well with my relatively cold-sounding IEMs like the CK10 and ER4S which I really love.

Nice! But, what is its sound signature like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back