The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #872 of 9,165
Still wondering why it was put there in the first place even if it is relatively easily remedied. The engineers designing this high-end device can be expected to have more than a modicum of expertise and must at least have been aware of the implications, so why did they decide to go ahead with it anyway?

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #873 of 9,165
I am really enjoying the iRiver. I bought a couple of these 64gig micro sdxc cards, formatted in one partition FAT. I have 150gigs to work with.. I love this player.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #874 of 9,165
Quote:
I find the knob to be very sturdy at least.  You can tug on it (yes, I tugged on my knob 
biggrin.gif
 ) and apply force to it in all directions and it is solid.  It gives you really precise control of the volume, and it is a rotary encoder that spins quite a few times around to go from min to max (again - precise control).  I need to free up some time to see what else can be done because there is a ton of potential with this player.  

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #878 of 9,165
Quote:
now I want a 128gb microsd card...

Me too!  But for now, I like the idea that at least these cards are removable, so you can load them up with different kinds of 
music and swap them to still be able to listen to more and more of your music collection.  And they are small and portable, but
I am still a little paranoid about losing one 
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #881 of 9,165
Vinnie can you speculate or even better can you conform that an AK100 mod is coming in near future? I am in market for such gears and would love to wait and get your mod if it is coming in future (near or far does not matter!)

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #882 of 9,165
Vinnie can you speculate or even better can you conform that an AK100 mod is coming in near future? I am in market for such gears and would love to wait and get your mod if it is coming in future (near or far does not matter!)

Red Wine Audio on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Wine-Audio/190568867622998

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #884 of 9,165
Quote:

And regarding "play lists", I have 2 specifics questions: 

- I have today 3000 music files well organized under iTune in several play lists, with some file being present in several playlists. This has been a lot of work...   So; is there a way to transfer my iTune library, WITH THE COMPLETE SOPHISTICATED "PLAYLIST STRUCTURE",  to the AK100.  This will save me 100's hours of selection work.

- As I said, under iTune, the same music files can be present in several different playlist ( slow music,  best off, 80's....).   If I do the same with the AK100, will the file be present only once on the  mass storage or several times ?  In other world, if a 20 Mo music file is present in 3 different playlists, will it take 20 Mo or 60 Mo (3 times) of the precious limited storage space ?

many thanks in advance for your estimated advices

Bertrand

With the Vinnie mod may be available one day, and the fact that iRiver answered somewhere that they WILL support in the future ALAC and AAC, this little DAP is really becoming interesting.

So... this make me even more interested to have answers to my question above that did not got much answer.   So, can someone tell me if the UI is really convenient with 1000 files to manage through several playlists, and... answer to my 2 "iTune" questions above.

many thanks in advance

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #885 of 9,165
I'd be interested too. This is speculation, but:
- I doubt that the AK100 will handle the whole proprietary Apple playlist thing as easily as iDevices do, even if the audio formats will be supported.
- I don't know of any player/manager in all the years I have dealt with these (Apple or otherwise) that would duplicate the actual tracks because they're in different lists: they're just that: a list. If anything, you might get error messages or skips from missing tracks. Most, incl. iTunes, try to copy over the tracks ONCE if you copy a playlist that contains tracks not already on the player.
- iTunes can export playlists in a variety of formats incl. common standards like .m3u, so it would already be a great help if the AK100 could process one of those (even if the associated tracks need to be copied over manually)
- Of course, without ALAC support on the AK100 for now and no -default- FLAC support in iTunes creating usable playlists might be a bit more tricky...
- iRiver have their own manager but I haven't checked yet if there is even a Mac version... and as much as I'm not particularly fond of iTunes in any version, almost all alternatives I have tried were either flawed in a different way or plain worse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back