The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #48 of 9,165
This might seem slightly offtopic, but for Spotify users like me, a DAP without Spotify (or Rdio, Pandora perhaps) is pretty useless. That might sound harsh, because this device by iRiver has great potential quality wise. Still I think more and more people will leave individual music files behind and opt for the luxury of having unlimited access to a huge music library. It's kinda ironic that Apple has one of the few dedicated music players (iPod Touch) that are app-enabled, while they themselves as a company are still ignoring streaming as a business model. iRiver should seize the opportunity and embrace streaming (through apps) - with excellent sound quality ofcourse. 

Quote:
Until the carriers stop raping the public with their obscenely overpriced data plans (at least in the USA) I'll stick to my individual files. I do like Pandora when I have wifi access, however.

Indeed ... Individual files for me. 

Many assume there is cell-phone/wifi coverage everywhere.  

Frankly, there is no "audiophile quality" streaming music ... no "Cloud", etc., etc. .... When you live outside the "broadcast area" (rural areas, mountains, etc.). Thankfully the CDs, records and tapes still work beautifully! :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #49 of 9,165
Quote:
unsubscribed :/

From what I have read it is 490 Euro, still too high. I am sure the amp section will be disappointing most user, so they will end up using optical out from is virtually making it an expensive pocketsize transport!

I would not mind paying 490 if the unit has great sounding amp and dac section but at that price it will have a tonne of competitions! 

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #53 of 9,165
I'm personally so bored with the player market right now. I'm praying this brings a welcome change with iriver's reemergence. Plus, look at the UI!!! It's georgous!!! I'm hoping it sounds as good as it looks,...

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #54 of 9,165
Glad i sold my DX100, hope this sound as good, and i really like the design.iRiver is my old love since the Imp-350 cd/mp3 player and Ifp 390t flash player 256 mb.
Here some pictures for you guys and some info and photos:
Iriver Astell&Kern, korea

CPU
Telechips TCC9201

DAC
Wolfson 8740

Display
TOVIS 2.4” 1600M color with capacitive touch

Storage
Transcend-SD class 6 32G

Battery
2000mAh / 12hours audio playing (FLAC)

Network
Bluetooth 3.0

SD card slot
Micro SD x 2ea (SDHC max 32GB)

I/O
Optical I/O & Headphone Out (3.5mm)

USB
Micro USB 5pin

Audio Formats
WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG,AAC,APE

Sampling Frequency
44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz (16/24bit)

Frequency Response
20Khz to 20Khz (+_0.3dB)

Dynamic Range
110dB

THD+N @1kHz
0.0008%

Crosstalk
102dB

Główne funcje i cechy:
No more Down Playing - Bit to Bit playing (WAV, FLAC 24bit 96/192kHz)

Hi-Fi audio sound quality
- Dynamic Range : 110dB
- THD+N @1kHz : 0.0008%
- Crosstalk : 102dB

Optical In / Out
- Optical DAC with PC
- Source player with digital AC receiver & AMP

Dual volume control - Basic / Special - 150steps volume control

Switching UI
- Flick the three screen
- Open GL effects

Bluetooth 3.0
- Catch a phone ring
- Pairing BT devices
- File transfer

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 9,165
Quote:
Glad i sold my DX100, hope this sound as good,

If I ever needed proof that portable gear is all about novelty and having the 'latest and greatest', your post is that proof. When I think of the wild enthusiasm which greeted the arrival of the DX100 - well, lets just say it was only a matter of time. We laugh at the folk who stand in queues outside Apple stores to get the latest iDevice, but are Head-Fiers really in a position to do that ? I'm sure you had your reasons for getting rid of the DX100, but I'd like to see some actual impressions on the sound quality of this gizmo before I allow myself to get swept up in the hysteria ...... 

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #57 of 9,165
I sometimes use Spotify at work.  Even if you select the service's highest resolution files and the option to store them on your SD temporarily, the AK100 is overkill for that purpose.  The whole point of a player like this is to play lossless and high-resolution files.  Spotify doesn't offer either one. 

Spotify's best option is Ogg Vorbis at 320 kbps.

Agreed. Spotify isn't in the same league as lossless files. But on the road, the quality difference isn't that great. At the moment it's Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps, but who knows what it'll be three years from now.
Still, you don't consider Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps to be 'high resolution'?

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #58 of 9,165
Quote:
Agreed. Spotify isn't in the same league as lossless files. But on the road, the quality difference isn't that great. At the moment it's Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps, but who knows what it'll be three years from now.
Still, you don't consider Ogg Vorbis 320 kbps to be 'high resolution'?

I think Ogg Vorbis at 320 is great....I bet a lot of people couldn't tell the difference between a FLAC and a 320kbps Vorbis file.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #60 of 9,165
depends on the gear and track familiarity. 

more on whether it's ABX or not,and if it is - on the person listening (including golden ears) and knowing what artefacts to listen for (the debatable bit is the existence of many perceivable ones at high lossy bitrates). for non blind comparisons you can imagine soooo much, but it's doubtful how much of that will be attribute to real perceivable diffs and how much - cognitive biases

Users who are viewing this thread

Back