The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #8,870 of 9,165

I have the latest 2.40 firmware version. Nothing much has changed in terms of stability issues since I updated it from 2.30.

Now it seems to be working again for a while but there's no doubt it will do same again and again. Enough is enough.

Hmm, I have no problem with the AK100 Mk1 on 2.40 and the AK100 Mk2 with 2.41 FW.

I could never get a proper answer from iRiver or Astell&Kern as to why the December 2014 released Japan only Sapphire Blue AK100 Mk2 is on 2.41 and this firmware is not available for any other Ak100 yet.

Communication is not their strong point - at all.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #8,871 of 9,165

Hmm, I have no problem with the AK100 Mk1 on 2.40 and the AK100 Mk2 with 2.41 FW.

I could never get a proper answer from iRiver or Astell&Kern as to why the December 2014 released Japan only Sapphire Blue AK100 Mk2 is on 2.41 and this firmware is not available for any other Ak100 yet.

Probably my AK100 is a problematic one and there's no cure through another firmware.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #8,872 of 9,165
  Probably my AK100 is a problematic one and there's no cure through another firmware.

It seems likely. But maybe you check your SD card too - who knows... could be the filesystem and irregularities with it as well. Wouldn't be the first time something like that caused issues.

cheers,
K

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #8,873 of 9,165

It seems likely. But maybe you check your SD card too - who knows... could be the filesystem and irregularities with it as well. Wouldn't be the first time something like that caused issues.

cheers,
K

Thanks for suggestion! Do you mean using some special application? I have opened both of 128 GB micro SD cards on my iMac and both are being detected without any problem.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #8,874 of 9,165

is it because only the MKII of AK100 gets 2.41, where as the old AK100 (22ohm output impedance) gets 2.40.

And probably the 0.01 difference is the intrinsic "default" tuning of the sound.

Anyway as far as i know, other than the output impedance between the old AK100 and the MKII of AK100, the firmware actually also tunes the default sound to make both models sound differently.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #8,875 of 9,165

is it because only the MKII of AK100 gets 2.41, where as the old AK100 (22ohm output impedance) gets 2.40.

And probably the 0.01 difference is the intrinsic "default" tuning of the sound.

Anyway as far as i know, other than the output impedance between the old AK100 and the MKII of AK100, the firmware actually also tunes the default sound to make both models sound differently.

Am not so sure if the default sound is really affected. I think it only affects the "Pro Equalizer".

Found no (nada, nunca, keine) difference in sound between the Mk1 (2.40) and Mk2 (2.41) playing the same HiRes songs using an input switcher and two audiophiles with 4 ears....with any headphone we threw at it...sounds the same to us.

However, possible that it changes the "pro Equalizer" sound is different, didn't test that....

Cheers,
K

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #8,876 of 9,165

I have the latest 2.40 firmware version. Nothing much has changed in terms of stability issues since I updated it from 2.30.

Now it seems to be working again for a while but there's no doubt it will do same again and again. Enough is enough.

Wasn't talking about updating the fw.    If system files have been corrupted, the only way to fix that is to resinstall the fw.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #8,877 of 9,165
  Am not so sure if the default sound is really affected. I think it only affects the "Pro Equalizer".

Found no (nada, nunca, keine) difference in sound between the Mk1 (2.40) and Mk2 (2.41) playing the same HiRes songs using an input switcher and two audiophiles with 4 ears....with any headphone we threw at it...sounds the same to us.

However, possible that it changes the "pro Equalizer" sound is different, didn't test that....

Cheers,
K

I had the MK2 once for a period of time, and having to own the AK100 Gold, based on my playlist, I've found that there's definitely noticeable difference even without the Pro-EQ switch on.

Perhaps the 3ohms and 22ohms did make such a huge difference. However, taking reference to how the previous Listrid firmware has did to AK100MKI, it clearly meant that the firmware has capability to tune the non-EQ sound signature significantly (along with Pro-EQ).

Also, looking at how AK is tuning its sound while releasing limited quantities of editions (like the AK240 Gold, and Stainless Steel), there's reported sound signature change compared to it's predecessor. As much as I would like to believe that they only did change only the aesthetics of the player, but i also personally believe that to drive the sales of those limited editions, some small changes of the sound must be made to make it unique from the normal series of players they have.

Cheers

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #8,878 of 9,165

I had the MK2 once for a period of time, and having to own the AK100 Gold, based on my playlist, I've found that there's definitely noticeable difference even without the Pro-EQ switch on.

Perhaps the 3ohms and 22ohms did make such a huge difference. However, taking reference to how the previous Listrid firmware has did to AK100MKI, it clearly meant that the firmware has capability to tune the non-EQ sound signature significantly (along with Pro-EQ).

Also, looking at how AK is tuning its sound while releasing limited quantities of editions (like the AK240 Gold, and Stainless Steel), there's reported sound signature change compared to it's predecessor. As much as I would like to believe that they only did change only the aesthetics of the player, but i also personally believe that to drive the sales of those limited editions, some small changes of the sound must be made to make it unique from the normal series of players they have.

Cheers

Hi!

I don't doubt that they can alter the sound signature for default. But whoever listened to these two compared yet, couldn't hear any difference.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back