The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #8,506 of 9,165
  Ok, I just thougt it supported a standard SD instead of micro SD.

Yes, I know. I do have a lot of FLACs, mostly16/44 CD rips, but even though internal 64 GB of my current Sony NW-F887 fills up quickly.

I'm browsing the web searching information on formatting a card to FAT32. It is mentioned there that this particular SanDisk card is in ExFAT standard by default. Is it easy to format it to FAT32? I have both Mac and PC.

As Far as I know You need a little format program for it
Here is a link in German
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Fat32Formatter_59703557.html

You need Micro SD - cards because the AK100 has a very impressive form factor - meaning: it is pretty small but offers 2 sd-slots. This way you can have up to 288 GB Storage  (2x128 GB on cards, 32 GB on board)

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #8,508 of 9,165
Here is a link in German

You need Micro SD - cards because the AK100 has a very impressive form factor - meaning: it is pretty small but offers 2 sd-slots. This way you can have up to 288 GB Storage  (2x128 GB on cards, 32 GB on board)

Thank you for information. I will try to make it ready as soon I receive the player and SD card.

Another question. How is organized the playback? I mean, are there several track lists each for every drive (internal memory and 1st & 2nd SD card) or I can navigate through all the tracks in one list?

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #8,510 of 9,165
  Thank you for information. I will try to make it ready as soon I receive the player and SD card.

Another question. How is organized the playback? I mean, are there several track lists each for every drive (internal memory and 1st & 2nd SD card) or I can navigate through all the tracks in one list?

Navigation is generally possible according to artist, song, genre, album or file structure.

Having said this - there have been a lot of issues by some with the UI especially with tagging and (not) recognizing some files - the AK100 is very "picky" there.
I normally navigate through the file system taking the grain of salt that the different locations where the music is being stored are still showed separately. To me that is the most reliable navigation with the AK100.  I'd love Iriver to finally solve this issue - but I am quite sure that there will not be any more work going into the firmware(s) for the  "old" DAPs - now that they need to update the Firmwares for the 2. generation players.
(Although they declared at the munich show that there will be on last major fw - update for the 100 and 120 . - But honestly speaking I do not believe them. Why should they?  They've got our cash already and want people to buy their new products and thus do not want to spend money on customer service for the older DAPs)

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #8,512 of 9,165
  Navigation is generally possible according to artist, song, genre, album or file structure.

Having said this - there have been a lot of issues by some with the UI especially with tagging and (not) recognizing some files - the AK100 is very "picky" there.
I normally navigate through the file system taking the grain of salt that the different locations where the music is being stored are still showed separately. To me that is the most reliable navigation with the AK100.  I'd love Iriver to finally solve this issue - but I am quite sure that there will not be any more work going into the firmware(s) for the  "old" DAPs - now that they need to update the Firmwares for the 2. generation players.
(Although they declared at the munich show that there will be on last major fw - update for the 100 and 120 . - But honestly speaking I do not believe them. Why should they?  They've got our cash already and want people to buy their new products and thus do not want to spend money on customer service for the older DAPs)

Well, a problematic UI and tag recognition problems don't sound extremely inspiring. I normally listen to music in alphabetical order, i.e., according to song, and there were very few problems with my Sony DAPs. Let's see if this issue might be a reason to sell the AK 100.
Could a third party soft like Russian made Listrid solve something?

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #8,513 of 9,165
  Well, a problematic UI and tag recognition problems don't sound extremely inspiring. I normally listen to music in alphabetical order, i.e., according to song, and there were very few problems with my Sony DAPs. Let's see if this issue might be a reason to sell the AK 100.
Could a third party soft like Russian made Listrid solve something?

Don't get me wrong - the UI is still better than the UI of DX50 or Fiio X3 was, for example. 2.30 is pretty stable AFAIK. - Although the UI on the 2.gen 100 and 120 seems to be clearly improved.

What I meant was that there have been some guys here who complained about covers not showing (they have to be included in the tags), many complained about playlist quirks etc. If you want to have no trouble with the tagging You will best have to get your tags cleaned up (with Kid3 for example). There are quite some posts on this topic here in this thread.
I think the biggest issue for some has been the playlist issues and the cutting off of some MP3s 2-3 secs before the song ends. This happens opnly with MP3-files.  I am not aware of many problems with FLAC-Files. I do know that the 100 had problems with APE-fiels (had that myself)

All in all I think it is quite a reliable DAP.
I am not sure about listening in alphabetical order as I always listen to albums, navigating there through the file structure.

I guess if Listrid showed up again there would be some happy guys here as Listrid had made an alternative firmware about 1 year ago, but then seems to have lost interest and didn't respond to any inquiries anymore.
As You already bought it just try it out and then decide which way to go.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #8,514 of 9,165
Coming form a FiiO X5, the UI on the AK100 is pretty nice.  I've just learned to do playlists in directories which means dupicate somgs but there's lots of room.  Cover art is a PIA ans I have a lot of HiRez and had to bring some down to 500x500 and that's even sketchy dpending on the file size.  No biggie as the screen is blank most of the time listening and I have my playlists in folders. Most of my music is in Apple Losless.
What I'd like to see in the firmware is the ability for format the card in the device (I have a Mac) and a Line Out Mode which mazimizes volume.
Overall pretty happy with the AK100 MkII but not sure I'd do another DAP again.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #8,515 of 9,165
Regarding cover art not showing etc when importing.....through trial and error I found the answer to the mp3 problem…..it was the version of the ID3 tag.  Anything with v2.4 was a complete write-off, v2.3 worked most of the time and v2.2 worked every time.  iTunes has the ability to convert the ID3tags easily for mp3's.  I also tried 600x600 and with ID3 tag v2.2 they all worked ok.  A fellow on the forum mentioned a great Mac app for inputting tag information for hirez files, it's called Tag and available through the App store.  I tried it as a last resort and it works great for all the formats I tossed at it.  When using Tag I would clear out all the artwork from the album and save it empty (no artwork) and then check to be sure there were none left.  If there was multiple copies of artwork saved in a file the tune would not display the artwork on the AK100.  I also had no problem putting in 600x600 art in FLAC files. What the AK100 wants to see is very specific and it will not tolerate anything else. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,516 of 9,165
  An ancient artifact from the old world:

Looking good! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #8,517 of 9,165
Hello!

Just got my AK100. So far so good - first impressions are positive, even though the UI is a class below my Sony NW-F887. Anyway soundwise it's a clear improvement even with headphones that are not decent enough for AK100 (I tried Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, Sennheiser HD 555 and cheap AKG K314P earbuds). Now looking for a pair of comfy over ears for portable use. Has anybody tried AK 100 with Sennheiser HD 700 without amping?

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #8,518 of 9,165
I tried the HD800 direct from the AK100MkII which has an even higher impedance than the HD700. Worked like a charm without amp. But, you'll have to switch the cables of the Sennheiser. If you use the stock cable with an adapter for the 3,5mm jack this construction becomes too long. It's too unstable for portable use.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #8,519 of 9,165
Here is a link in German

I used the program guiformat x64 on my sandisk 128GB micro SD card. It just works fine in the AK100MkII and gives me at least 119 GB after formatting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back