The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #8,191 of 9,165
Understood.You mean it has better sound,better stage,better etc than iHifi,right ?

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #8,194 of 9,165
  which one to buy: $400 used AK100 or $799 new AK100mk2?

Buy the cheap one then spend $250 with Red Wine Audio for the modification, making it the RWAK100.
I got mine done by an ebay seller from Japan, had to send it to him, spent $156 plus shipping to Japan to basically do the same thing. Unfortuatly this seller doesn't seem to have the service listed anymore.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,195 of 9,165

Buy the cheap one then spend $250 with Red Wine Audio for the modification, making it the RWAK100.
I got mine done by an ebay seller from Japan, had to send it to him, spent $156 plus shipping to Japan to basically do the same thing. Unfortuatly this seller doesn't seem to have the service listed anymore.

not possible to do RWAK because it would cost more than MK2 (Mod, Custom fee, Shipping fee etc)

thanks for the opinion by the way

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #8,196 of 9,165
Sorry folks if this is in the wrong spot or done improperly.  It's my first time.

I recently purchased an AK100 MkII.   I like it's fidelity very much.   My source music files are all ripped Red Book CDs in WAV format, which live on a music server.  Although they transferred to the AK100, they appear only in the "folders" menu, are sorted alphabetically by first name of the artist, and the folders are separated as 'main music', SD1 and SD2.  So finding something is almost impossible.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get the AK100 to see the appropriate metadata on my WAV files and produce a useable index, and can the index include all three of memories?  Perhaps more importantly, is there a way someone like me with VERY limited computer skills can accomplish it?  My knowledge of 'metadata' doesn't go far beyond spelling it.  My efforts to get assistance from iriver have not been productive.  Thanks.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #8,198 of 9,165
Sorry folks if this is in the wrong spot or done improperly.  It's my first time.

I recently purchased an AK100 MkII.   I like it's fidelity very much.   My source music files are all ripped Red Book CDs in WAV format, which live on a music server.  Although they transferred to the AK100, they appear only in the "folders" menu, are sorted alphabetically by first name of the artist, and the folders are separated as 'main music', SD1 and SD2.  So finding something is almost impossible.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get the AK100 to see the appropriate metadata on my WAV files and produce a useable index, and can the index include all three of memories?  Perhaps more importantly, is there a way someone like me with VERY limited computer skills can accomplish it?  My knowledge of 'metadata' doesn't go far beyond spelling it.  My efforts to get assistance from iriver have not been productive.  Thanks.

There was somewhat detailed discussion of tags & relatively simple methods you can use to 'clean them up' a few pages back in this thread (last week), that should help. There's also been even more detailed discussion of cleanup methods in the past in this thread as well, a search or trawl through the thread should yield that info.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #8,201 of 9,165
I will buy AK100 for my IE800 in this week,if I don't turn away.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #8,202 of 9,165
So I bought the AK100 Mk2 after getting some solid advise from folks on this thread (thank you) and have really enjoyed listening to the player. Struggled a bit to get oriented, but that is to be expected.  Here is where I'm stuck-- With no SD card yet, space is really limited. I have been deleting songs from Finder or Explorer, but it doesn't show any increase in the storage capacity and the AK100 is unable to scan new songs.  Do I need to reset it back to factory settings (and if so how) or are there other solutions?

Thanks,

-David

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #8,204 of 9,165
I tried that. Library scan was set to on. Even when I manually hit library scan, I get the reply: "there is not enough free disk space to run..." I already deleted all my music off the AK100, but the music titles are still there with the display "cannot find file." No wonder, as the files have been deleted yet the AK100 shows only minimal available space.

Yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back