The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #8,071 of 9,165
No, I used the player's volume as the main volume control, while fully opening the amplifier pot. Was that a mistake?

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #8,072 of 9,165
It should be the other way around as per kimvictor said.
Put the AK100 on max volume and use the amplifier pot as your main volume control.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #8,073 of 9,165
Thanks a lot! I'll try it again this evening, this time using the correct volume arrangement.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #8,074 of 9,165
  It should be the other way around as per kimvictor said.
Put the AK100 on max volume and use the amplifier pot as your main volume control.

Thanks a lot! I'll try it again this evening, this time using the correct volume arrangement.

Yeah. It does sound lot better and has much less distortion that way.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #8,075 of 9,165
Did anybody try the ak100 with the new 128GB sd cards by Sandisk?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #8,076 of 9,165
Somebody tried them on the AK120 and they work just like the 64GB cards according to post in that thread, so most likely OK on the AK100 as well. Might give one a go.

Also: USB DAC function & latest OS X update (10.9.2): Still no go on my 2013 MB Air.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #8,077 of 9,165
I am currently using the 128 card with my 120 titan and it works exactly like the 64 card no problems thus far

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #8,079 of 9,165
I assume they will work if it is not formatted as an micro SDXC but the usual microSD format.
I won't be getting one soon, bit too pricey for me
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,080 of 9,165
I'm gonna order two of the 128GB microSDXC cards from Amazon.  If they don't work with my RWAK100-S, guess I'll just keep them for use with whatever new DAP I buy over the next 6 months or so.

ETA:  I just placed my order; won't ship for 2-3 weeks.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #8,081 of 9,165
I've received my RWAK100-S today and noticed that it gets pretty warm after about 30min of use, with mostly flacs and some mp3s, and also 2.20 firmware.  
Could it be the replacement WM8741 chip that's causing it to overheat?  I'm worried that the battery will start leaking after prolonged use..

However, it sounds fantastic through my Quickstep and TG334s; coming from Studio V 3rd Anv, I'm really enjoying this new sound :)
I just hope there aren't any problems with it..

Is anyone else having this problem? Does the unmodded AK100 get warm too?  

Thank you in advance, any advice is really appreciated.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #8,082 of 9,165
I've received my RWAK100-S today and noticed that it gets pretty warm after about 30min of use, with mostly flacs and some mp3s, and also 2.20 firmware.  
Could it be the replacement WM8741 chip that's causing it to overheat?  I'm worried that the battery will start leaking after prolonged use..

However, it sounds fantastic through my Quickstep and TG334s; coming from Studio V 3rd Anv, I'm really enjoying this new sound :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #8,083 of 9,165

No heat here after hours of use.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #8,084 of 9,165

Warm is normal, hot is not.  Even my stock AK100 mk2 gets warm.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #8,085 of 9,165
   Hello, first time poster long time lurker as they say.  Greetings to all.  I just purchased an AK100 MK2 (firmware 2.30) a couple weeks ago and have read most of the 539 pages of this thread.  After trudging through getting artwork recognized (not always) most everything else has been good save for the same issues others are having with the microsd card locations and the intermittent freeze ups.  The odd 500x500.jpg artwork embedded in ripped FLAC files just does not work no matter what I do.  Like I said just in a couple, there must be something in the file makeup the device firmware just does not like.  I wish there was a list somewhere of file criteria which is necessary for them to display properly (as in tag version info etc).  I am using the recommended 32 gig SanDisk class 10 cards and slot-2 (SD2) definitely has issues if you plug the AK100 into your computer.  The units Music folder is fine as is the SD1 slot card but the second SD2 card gets corrupted to the point of having to reformat it and reload the music.  The only way I can do it is remove the card before attaching it to the computer.  If I follow those rules things work fine, I tried a number of variations but that is the only thing that works.  To add, I do not even have to access the SD2 card while it's plugged in for it to get corrupted.  Hopefully they will address this in an updated firmware, it does make things very clumsy to add music.  The one issue I have that one other person mentioned (that I noticed anyway) many pages back was the hard key 'Next Track/Fast Forward' only pauses it does not go to the next track or fast forward.  The other keys work as they should, the top key 'Previous Track/Fast Reverse' works and the middle 'Pause' works fine.  I can't imagine that I would be the only one that is having this issue.  It has to be a firmware problem.  Anyone else?  Sorry if it was brought up before, if so I couldn't find anything regarding it.  I have even re-did the 2.30 firmware but it still is the same.  If knowone else has had this problem then the unit must be defective although I can't see that, the keys are software enabled.  I wish that worked as I use it will walking and it would be much easier if it did what is was supposed to.  Other than these issues I love the fit, finish and leather case all are top notch.  Oh yeah and the sound is pretty decent as well  :wink:   Thanks for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back