The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #7,831 of 9,165
I just got the AK100 MK2, late christmas gift to me, and I have one question. Is it OK to charge the device connected to a wall outlet via a smartphone (android or iphone) AC adapter?

So far I love this little device! I have about 1200 FLAC files loaded (mostly 16 bit and some MQS 24 Bit) and all I can say is, WOW! I previously owned the iBasso DX50, which was also a great DAP, but (for my taste) I had to use an external amp to tame down the harshness of the player. With the AK100 MK2 I don't see the need in using an external amp and ultimately reaching my goal of simplifying my rig (only DAP and headphones).

Yup. Totally fine. The wall chargers iriver sells are the same as typical usb wall chargers, which are no different from normal android chargers. I charge them via my phone charger as well. 5 volt 1A out.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #7,833 of 9,165
Anyone else getting a roughly 500ms lag in sound with video playing through the AK100 using USB?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #7,834 of 9,165
Seems to be resampling related.  WASAPI Exclusive and DS are fine, KernelStream breaks up, WASAPI-Event upsampled to 32/96 is delayed.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #7,835 of 9,165
Any first impression on the sound, Solude?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #7,837 of 9,165
So... is there a "firmware history" page somewhere to see the changes between versions? Does anyone know? I'm guessing that AK100 and AK100 MK2 use the same firmware!? :wink:

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7,838 of 9,165
http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeList.asp - firmware/AK100/go, click on the firmware version to get changelog (most recent firmware is first). Yeah same firmware for both.

So... is there a "firmware history" page somewhere to see the changes between versions? Does anyone know? I'm guessing that AK100 and AK100 MK2 use the same firmware!? :wink:

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #7,839 of 9,165
Jan 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,840 of 9,165
sorry, i cannot find that but someone mentioned this as i remember.

As regards Mavericks, have a nice read: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-mac-os-x-mavericks-problems/

Nothing very useful here : "if Time Machine is slow, erase your HD". Talk about thermonuclear.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #7,841 of 9,165
I just got the AK100 MK2, late christmas gift to me, and I have one question. Is it OK to charge the device connected to a wall outlet via a smartphone (android or iphone) AC adapter?

So far I love this little device! I have about 1200 FLAC files loaded (mostly 16 bit and some MQS 24 Bit) and all I can say is, WOW! I previously owned the iBasso DX50, which was also a great DAP, but (for my taste) I had to use an external amp to tame down the harshness of the player. With the AK100 MK2 I don't see the need in using an external amp and ultimately reaching my goal of simplifying my rig (only DAP and headphones).

+1

i have RW-mod AK100 and DX50, same conclusion. DX50 can sound good only from line out, using without amp harshness, noise and digital artifacts are too strong. iBasso clearly skimped on amp section implementation :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,842 of 9,165
  Any first impression on the sound, Solude?

Haven't done any critical A/B review notes or anything but the dream of dumping the big rig for the AK died very quickly.  The AK100 may be a good DAP, haven't compared it to the Zune yet, but a contender to a desktop rig it is not :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #7,843 of 9,165
Haven't done any critical A/B review notes or anything but the dream of dumping the big rig for the AK died very quickly.  The AK100 may be a good DAP, haven't compared it to the Zune yet, but a contender to a desktop rig it is not :frowning2:

True, however I have heard from a reliable source that the RWAK100S (line out only version) with the right amp can compete with desktop rigs.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,844 of 9,165

Haven't done any critical A/B review notes or anything but the dream of dumping the big rig for the AK died very quickly.  The AK100 may be a good DAP, haven't compared it to the Zune yet, but a contender to a desktop rig it is not
frown.gif

True, however I have heard from a reliable source that the RWAK100S (line out only version) with the right amp can compete with desktop rigs.

I'll find out soon as I sent my RWAK100 to Redwine a few days ago for the -S mod (I had his first, output stage mod done a year ago).  I'm just as interested in getting the DAC upgraded to the WM8741 as I am in getting the true lineout.  I'm hoping Vinnie has time to get mine done over the next couple days & send back to me.

My current portable amp is the Rx MKIII-B, & I just received shipping notice for the Vorzuge Pure II that I ordered on Monday.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #7,845 of 9,165

I can speak from personal experience, my RWAK-100S running through my 2 channel system and my desktop near field setup is killer. It was Vinnie at RWA that told me it would be and he was right. I bought it to use strictly as a portable rig, but I find myself using it on my desktop just as much.

I run it right into my Ancient Audio studio Oslos with a Gallo TRD-3 sub and it sounds delightful, very open and airy. It's a serious device. I agree it is a bit toy like in appearance and feel, but it puts out some serious sound once modded. The line level out has made it a desktop favorite and also brought my car audio to a new level. I'm happy as can be with mine. Vinnie was right on. I have had it for a year approximately and use it everyday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back