The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 8, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #7,816 of 9,165
Lock, put your music on, adjust the volume if you want with the screen on, hit the power button once to turn the screen off, chuck it in your pocket & you're all set - no accidental volume changes (not that these are a huge issue with the device given how little it changes with a full turn, but, anyways :wink:) Fiddle with the volume knob once you've turned the screen off to satisfy your natural curiosity as to whether the lock actually really works or not if you want (I did :p)

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #7,817 of 9,165
My AK100 MkII proves very fiddly with Mavericks.
It says it's "USB DAC Connected", iRiver appears in Sound System Prefs, but no sound.
I have to reboot several times, unplug, replug, etc., to get a proper sound connection.
Really annoying, and repeated with any Mac s we have here, all recent models.
Apparently, having discussed with top engineer, it's a problem witk kernel modif in Mavericks,
implemented by Apple, which current firmware is struggling with. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #7,818 of 9,165
  I can't get the USB DAC functionality to work either on my 2013 MBA, was going to post about it too. And since these don't have an optical out anymore (like previous/other models) that's... a bit of a bummer.

Doesn't work by manually switching in the Audio Midi panel, or automatically via BitPerfect. The MBA sees the DAC, the DAC indicates to be connected, but no sound at any volume is actually getting piped through. Tried a number of things, running firmware 2.20, don't know if it's related to the USB3 ports?

Would be great if somebody could confirm (not speculate) that a) the USB DAC functionality works with the 2013 MBA, or b) works with any Mac. Please specify model, I might get access to one and at least verify that the issue is not on my AK100's end... Thanks!

Same here on 3 recent Macs.
All settings are correct, USB DAC is connected, recognized and choosen in System Prefs Sound of Mac, but no sound.
Checked in MIDI Audio, AK100 is selected source.
Tried hard reset following manual, tried reset to factory settings.
Nothing. On 3 different Macs. Bloody thing is correectly recognized after 15 attempts. If I had to press 15 times CALL to get a call on my iPhone (like it was with a Samsung Galaxy piece of garbage, life would be a kind of inferno, is it ?
Just annoying here, iRiver.
Apple Care told me Mavericks implemented deep changes in kernel and USB is affected, and some companies like iRiver did not update yet with their homework. Are they aware of that ?

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #7,820 of 9,165
  Getting 192 from toslink is transport dependent.  The static is more or less a ground loop.  Get a HumX for your laptop/pc.

In other news, I got my mk2 yesterday.  I knew it was small but have to say in person it's even smaller and as someone who likes big toys... kind of gimpy looking :p  iRiver software is useless though it is good at smashing your library tags so I get to spend today undoing the damage it did splitting my ripped albums into singles /facepalm

Question about the LOCK function.  What exactly does it lock?  Everything still seemed to respond, the screen, the volume, am I missing something?

Hopefully tonight I can you know listen to something on it :wink:

Could you expand on "Getting 192 from toslink is transport dependent."?

The source is coming from my motherboard. 24/96 is flawless via optical but 24/192 causes a harsh static that resembles a bad TV broadcast. It could be the source...anyone else got any ideas?

And can anyone comment on the HumX??? Did it work on eliminating a hum sound when the AK100 is connected to an amp AND charged by the USB cable? I'm assuming I use the HumX to connect to my headphone amp, which would then eliminate that annoying static sound?

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,821 of 9,165
do NOT upgrade to Maverick, even Lion was no no for me but what I hear about Maverick makes me feel sad, Jobs would kill Apple punks if been alive :frowning2:

i use four Macs at home all four on Snow Leopard and i am damn happy i never upgraded despite free of charge offers.

PS: i guess iRiver mentioned issue with Maverick explicitly

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #7,822 of 9,165
do NOT upgrade to Maverick, even Lion was no no for me but what I hear about Maverick makes me feel sad, Jobs would kill Apple punks if been alive
frown.gif

i use four Macs at home all four on Snow Leopard and i am damn happy i never upgraded despite free of charge offers.

PS: i guess iRiver mentioned issue with Maverick explicitly

Mavericks works flawlessly in almost every compartment. I've been part of development in a customers seed since march 2013.
Where did iRiver mention this issue with Maverick ?

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #7,823 of 9,165
I'm looking more into ground loops and the HumX.

A more simple solution might be to power my AK100 from it's mini USB connection to the outlet (using an adapter). The noise hum noise might be conflicted with my PC's USB ports.

Comments about the AK100 itself

In any case, I gotta say that the AK100 as a portable device is fantastic. I've let my friends try it with the Westone 4s (very awkward for them to put on lol, thankfully foams can be replaced) and they are simply amazed at the level of detail revealed. I don't think anyone will not be amazed when they hear Spansih Harlem by Rebecca with the AK100 and some excellent headphones. Their facial expressions usually end up with their mouths to the floor at what they've been missing out on in terms of excellent music reproduction the AK100 and the W4s can produce.

I use my AK100 when I go for a jog with some UE TF10s. Rocking out to some Tool (24/96 loseless) and jogging at night makes me want to do a ton more cardio. The sound is absolutely breathtaking and the strengths of the TF10 (bass and that extra sparkle in treble) is further enhanced when used with the AK100.

With the AK100 connected to an amp source (Woo Audio WA6) hooked up to my hd650, my AK100 serves as a excellent DAC too. The only problem currently is the ground loop hum (only when charging the AK100 via USB), which I'm looking into.

While 24/96 and 24/192 files can be huge, luckily the AK100 can handle an additional two 64GB micro SD cards for a total of 160GB space. While I've already managed to use that all up, I have a ton of albums with me that can satisfy me for several weeks at a time.

Overall I'm impressed with how I literally have a great audio setup wherever I go.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7,824 of 9,165
sorry, i cannot find that but someone mentioned this as i remember.

As regards Mavericks, have a nice read: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-mac-os-x-mavericks-problems/

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #7,825 of 9,165
  Could you expand on "Getting 192 from toslink is transport dependent."?

The source is coming from my motherboard. 24/96 is flawless via optical but 24/192 causes a harsh static that resembles a bad TV broadcast. It could be the source...anyone else got any ideas?

And can anyone comment on the HumX??? Did it work on eliminating a hum sound when the AK100 is connected to an amp AND charged by the USB cable? I'm assuming I use the HumX to connect to my headphone amp, which would then eliminate that annoying static sound?

Without getting too technical all digital requires meeting time limits.  As rate and bits increase so does the edge timing.  Long story short the light from optical doesn't come on and go off quick enough to use 24/192 on your PC.

You use the HumX on the PC or EVERYTHING else, your choice :wink:

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #7,826 of 9,165

Without getting too technical all digital requires meeting time limits.  As rate and bits increase so does the edge timing.  Long story short the light from optical doesn't come on and go off quick enough to use 24/192 on your PC.

You use the HumX on the PC or EVERYTHING else, your choice :wink:

Ah ok thank you for the explanation for both cases. HumX on just my PC sounds good =).

Now what is the solution for enabling 24/192 to work correctly? I happen to be using an adapter for the optical cable to connect to my AK100's optical in. Perhaps a cable without an adapter plugged directly into the AK100 might fix this?

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #7,827 of 9,165
I just got the AK100 MK2, late christmas gift to me, and I have one question. Is it OK to charge the device connected to a wall outlet via a smartphone (android or iphone) AC adapter?

So far I love this little device! I have about 1200 FLAC files loaded (mostly 16 bit and some MQS 24 Bit) and all I can say is, WOW! I previously owned the iBasso DX50, which was also a great DAP, but (for my taste) I had to use an external amp to tame down the harshness of the player. With the AK100 MK2 I don't see the need in using an external amp and ultimately reaching my goal of simplifying my rig (only DAP and headphones).

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,828 of 9,165
I just got the AK100 MK2, late christmas gift to me, and I have one question. Is it OK to charge the device connected to a wall outlet via a smartphone (android or iphone) AC adapter?

So far I love this little device! I have about 1200 FLAC files loaded (mostly 16 bit and some MQS 24 Bit) and all I can say is, WOW! I previously owned the iBasso DX50, which was also a great DAP, but (for my taste) I had to use an external amp to tame down the harshness of the player. With the AK100 MK2 I don't see the need in using an external amp and ultimately reaching my goal of simplifying my rig (only DAP and headphones).

I recently got the MkII as well! Loving it so much!
I'm still curious on how the DX50 sounds though up until now lol, never tried one since no one I know has one...

Same here on 3 recent Macs.
All settings are correct, USB DAC is connected, recognized and choosen in System Prefs Sound of Mac, but no sound.
Checked in MIDI Audio, AK100 is selected source.
Tried hard reset following manual, tried reset to factory settings.
Nothing. On 3 different Macs. Bloody thing is correectly recognized after 15 attempts. If I had to press 15 times CALL to get a call on my iPhone (like it was with a Samsung Galaxy piece of garbage, life would be a kind of inferno, is it ?
Just annoying here, iRiver.
Apple Care told me Mavericks implemented deep changes in kernel and USB is affected, and some companies like iRiver did not update yet with their homework. Are they aware of that ?

I tried plugging in my AK100MkII to my mid-2011 iMac running Mavericks, it's not even detected in the Sound system preferences....

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #7,830 of 9,165

I charge mine with a Huawei charger that came with my Pocket WiFi a couple of yrs back, which is 1A out & charges fine/much quicker than USB. Might reduce battery life a bit long run, but I'm not fussed about that as I intend to do battery replacements myself (assuming I'm able to easily track down replacement batteries).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back