The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7,801 of 9,165
  Sorry can't help you there mate, all my files are in FLAC and I have never experienced a skipping loop. Maybe the player can not read the files thus searching it over and over again.
It's between the files itself or the tagging I think...

On the other note, have you guys seen the AK240:

http://s.ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11745056028.html

My first thought was "What the heck AK...." (from a design & price point of view)

Whhhaaaat? What!? Dual CS4398? 256gb storage? Balanced output? Wifi? 2.3Vrms high output?
Holy crap. AK has created a total end game rig. No portable that I've seen has such spec, but that design....
Worried about the price to. I'm guessing things are going over $2000 this time...

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #7,802 of 9,165
Whhhaaaat? What!? Dual CS4398? 256gb storage? Balanced output? Wifi? 2.3Vrms high output?
Holy crap. AK has created a total end game rig. No portable that I've seen has such spec, but that design....
Worried about the price to. I'm guessing things are going over $2000 this time...

You didn't know? We were all hyped up over this since 1-2 months ago (before the final specs was announced a couple of days ago) :D

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #7,803 of 9,165
The specs are really promising I give you that , but that price point though, sheesh...

They really need to justify a price equivalent to even the best sounding desktop setup.

Also cannot take my mind off the design, from the back view for me it's gorgeous. But when you look from the front... what can I say. The offset of the screen to the left from the centerline of the device I presume will make your right hand exercise more to click the touchscreen and just plain weird.

Although looking at it from the front and then seeing from the side makes it looks like an eye illusion, eye-catching but really tiring.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #7,804 of 9,165
  Sorry can't help you there mate, all my files are in FLAC and I have never experienced a skipping loop. Maybe the player can not read the files thus searching it over and over again.
It's between the files itself or the tagging I think...

On the other note, have you guys seen the AK240:

http://s.ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11745056028.html

My first thought was "What the heck AK...." (from a design & price point of view)

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #7,806 of 9,165
I'd just like to report that after many, many hard miles, including daily journeys to the gym and often bouncing around in the bottom of my laptop bag....my RWAK100 continues to do a very fine job of feeding my Merlins...

In fact just last week, it survived a full wash cycle, rescued just before the inferno of a commercial dryer...I simply cracked it open and set it in front of small ceramic space heater for several hours...charged it back up and by golly, you'd never know what happened except for the leather case looking a bit tired...

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #7,808 of 9,165
I've had the AK100 (stock) for more than half a year. I used it mainly for work and on the go with my IEMS.

It is amazing with Westone 4s IEMs, especially with 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files.

I had a question though. Two actually!

I am currently using it as part of a home setup. Digital out from my PC -> AK100 -> Headphone amp (Woo audio WA6) -> HD650s.

1. Whenever I have the USB cable connected to keep it charged (the one that came with the AK100), I hear a hiss when running my HD650s out of my WA6 amp. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, the hiss totally disappears. Any clues to make the hiss go away when connected via USB?

2. I can't seem to enable 24/192 in Windows 7 when my AK100 is connected via the digital cable. 24/96 works fine but 24/192 creates static. I am assuming it is my motherboard's digital out that might be causing the problem. Perhaps I should update the firmware and see if I connected my AK100 via USB to treat it as a USB DAC?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: When I connect my headphones directly into the AK100 (no amp), there is no hiss when the USB cable is connected to the AK100. But with the amp and USB cable connected to the AK100 (hooked to the amp via RCA cable), the hiss is there. Pretty annoying, but the hiss disappears when the AK100 is hooked up via USB.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #7,809 of 9,165
  I've had the AK100 (stock) for more than half a year. I used it mainly for work and on the go with my IEMS.

It is amazing with Westone 4s IEMs, especially with 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files.

I had a question though. Two actually!

I am currently using it as part of a home setup. Digital out from my PC -> AK100 -> Headphone amp (Woo audio WA6) -> HD650s.

1. Whenever I have the USB cable connected to keep it charged (the one that came with the AK100), I hear a hiss when running my HD650s out of my WA6 amp. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, the hiss totally disappears. Any clues to make the hiss go away when connected via USB?

2. I can't seem to enable 24/192 in Windows 7 when my AK100 is connected via the digital cable. 24/96 works fine but 24/192 creates static. I am assuming it is my motherboard's digital out that might be causing the problem. Perhaps I should update the firmware and see if I connected my AK100 via USB to treat it as a USB DAC?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: When I connect my headphones directly into the AK100 (no amp), there is no hiss when the USB cable is connected to the AK100. But with the amp and USB cable connected to the AK100 (hooked to the amp via RCA cable), the hiss is there. Pretty annoying, but the hiss disappears when the AK100 is hooked up via USB.

To answer Q2 first, the AK100 only supports up to 96kHz as a USB DAC.

In relation to Q1, I have found the same with my RWAK100 and assume it's just an inability of the player to isolate the noise from USB power, but I can't explain why the noise is apparent via an amplifier and not via a direct headphone connection. Perhaps the difference in impedance (heapdhones are <250 ohms while most amplifiers present >1000 ohms) somehow allows the noise through.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #7,810 of 9,165
Thank you for answering one of my questions. Does the AK100 still only do 24/96 when connected via Digital In from my PC?

That's a shame about the background noise when connected USB for charging (when used with an amp). Anybody else got any ideas?

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #7,812 of 9,165
  I think the AK does 192 via optical, but hopefully someone else can confirm (or maybe check the iRiver site for specs)

I tried before when I owned it, it can do up to 24/192 using optical out to external DAC.  I tried using FLAC files.

If I recall correctly, the bonus USB DAC feature can only support up to 24/96.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #7,813 of 9,165
Getting 192 from toslink is transport dependent.  The static is more or less a ground loop.  Get a HumX for your laptop/pc.

In other news, I got my mk2 yesterday.  I knew it was small but have to say in person it's even smaller and as someone who likes big toys... kind of gimpy looking :p  iRiver software is useless though it is good at smashing your library tags so I get to spend today undoing the damage it did splitting my ripped albums into singles /facepalm

Question about the LOCK function.  What exactly does it lock?  Everything still seemed to respond, the screen, the volume, am I missing something?

Hopefully tonight I can you know listen to something on it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back