The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #7,711 of 9,165
I have been comparing my modified AK100 (no output resistors) more to the DX50 with the latest firmware. The AK100 is smoother but to me, it does not benefit the music. It lacks the "live" sound sensation of the DX50. As for soundstage, I find them both in the same ballpark. I am not going to get rid of my AK100, as I enjoy it but I don't see any advantage of it over the DX50 in any area. I do like the brown leather case I got for the AK100 though. :^) Sure took a long time for DAPs to come around from the best of the past, IMO, which was the iRiver H120 and H140, which I still have. 

Except in build quality, stability, portability and design :p

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7,712 of 9,165
I have been comparing my modified AK100 (no output resistors) more to the DX50 with the latest firmware. The AK100 is smoother but to me, it does not benefit the music. It lacks the "live" sound sensation of the DX50. As for soundstage, I find them both in the same ballpark. I am not going to get rid of my AK100, as I enjoy it but I don't see any advantage of it over the dx50
[/quote

Wow jamato8 that's a sobering comparison. There's a huge price difference and not the expected rise in the sound quality. I have a dx100 and a c4 pro and an unmodded ak100. I like them all but haven't really done a comparison between the 3. The ak100 is easier to use as a dac and has a much better battery life and gui than the other 2

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #7,714 of 9,165
I have compared the AK100 and AK100 Mk II and I have to say the difference is quite big.
The low end obviously outshone the original making it pale in comparisons for many types of IEMs. The bass with the a good pairing IEM can match even a desktop setup in my opinion. The soundstage unexpectedly for me fared really well since I thought that reducing the OI would not affect it. The sound on the original also seems congested once I heard the MkII.

All in all, it really tempted me to buy one. It can deliver beauty and performance at the same time, too bad it isn't priced the same....

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #7,718 of 9,165
I reckon you could well be right on that point. Maybe I am hearing more emphasis on the higher frequency which I have perceived as a deficiency in the bass response.

Well, since how we perceive the sound is relative, more treble means you are going to feel like there's less bass. Personally though, W4R's bass should be kept as it is. I like how W4r is a bit on the dark/natural side, rather then flat.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #7,719 of 9,165
I have compared the AK100 and AK100 Mk II and I have to say the difference is quite big.
The low end obviously outshone the original making it pale in comparisons for many types of IEMs. The bass with the a good pairing IEM can match even a desktop setup in my opinion. The soundstage unexpectedly for me fared really well since I thought that reducing the OI would not affect it. The sound on the original also seems congested once I heard the MkII.

All in all, it really tempted me to buy one. It can deliver beauty and performance at the same time, too bad it isn't priced the same....

I would have to agree 100%, i have heard the MK2 as well.

but i think that they have did a specific EQ on the MK2 instead of "just reducing to 3ohm output impedance". Hence, i shall wait for Listrid to come back with a mod for MK1 with MK2 settings :D

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #7,720 of 9,165

I do own a RWAK100-S. It is a major step above the stock AK100 and RWAK100. You must use an external amp though. I use it with the SR-71B.

Thanks for the answer.

Do you mind being a bit more specific about what aspects got improved over the original? Bass quality/quantity, the highs, the clarity?
Thank you!!

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #7,722 of 9,165

Thanks for the answer.

Do you mind being a bit more specific about what aspects got improved over the original? Bass quality/quantity, the highs, the clarity?
Thank you!!

The first thing that struck me when I got my player back from Vinnie was the soundstage. It is more airy and more open. Then the bass. It's more articulate, tighter and more precise. As for the quantity, I would say it's the same. Vocals sound more natural and centered. The highs sound a little less grainy and smoother. Also, (I believe) it has more dynamic range. That would have to be measured though but it feels it has more.
Simply put, everything is better.
Hope this helps!

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #7,723 of 9,165
Hi Everyone,

Just got my AK100 Mk II a couple of days ago. Love the sound that comes out from that little thing but I was just wondering whether anyone had this issue before :

Sometimes, after turning on the player, when I was trying to play music or browse my Folders, it froze for a couple of seconds then did an automatic Library Scan and said that it detects 0 music files. Then, when I go on the Folders after that, my SD Cards were not detected by the system. I have to restart the player to get it to detect my SD Cards again.

I'm not sure whether it's a software issue (I'm running firmware 2.30 atm), or is it a problem with my SD Cards or the player itself.

Thanks,

Matt

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #7,724 of 9,165
Matt,

Yes - I experience the issue you describe every once in awhile. The first AK100 I had would display the error about every third time I turned it on.

IRiver acknowledged the problem and said they are working on the issue.

The new unit I have now has booted up and both 32G cards didn't show up maybe 3 times in the month I've had it. The remedy is to turn the unit off and then back on - the cards should show up and work normally.

I've also experienced the issue when listening to a long passage (longer than say 25 minutes) - usually a classical piece I'm listening to. The unit will freeze for a few seconds and then I'll get a message telling me the song I've selected isn't available and both cards disappear. That's happened once.

I'm hoping they fix the issue soon.

Hi Everyone,

Just got my AK100 Mk II a couple of days ago. Love the sound that comes out from that little thing but I was just wondering whether anyone had this issue before :

Sometimes, after turning on the player, when I was trying to play music or browse my Folders, it froze for a couple of seconds then did an automatic Library Scan and said that it detects 0 music files. Then, when I go on the Folders after that, my SD Cards were not detected by the system. I have to restart the player to get it to detect my SD Cards again.

I'm not sure whether it's a software issue (I'm running firmware 2.30 atm), or is it a problem with my SD Cards or the player itself.

Thanks,

Matt

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7,725 of 9,165
Thanks!

That's good to hear -- I was freaking out when it first happened, I thought there's a hardware failure or something...
Yeah, hopefully they'll fix the issue on the next firmware update. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back