The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #7,606 of 9,165
  I can read Chinese characters so it's easy for me to grasp what the iRiver JP official page is saying.
Still, I provide the relevant links and translation if you need.

From iRiver JP MK II Product page:

主な変更點
出力インピーダンスを3Ωに変更 (※通常のAK100は出力インピーダンス22Ω)
AK100 MKIIの為だけにプロのエンジニアが特別に調整した専用「PRO EQ」
   (※3dBゲインブースト機能と合わせて使用することにより、真の効果を発揮します。)

Google Translation:
The main changes
(AK100 ※ The normal output impedance 22Ω) change in the output impedance 3Ω
Dedicated professional engineers have been tailored just for AK100 MKII "PRO EQ"
(The use in conjunction with ※ 3dB gain boost function, I show the effect of the machine.)

From iRiver JP Firmware Download page:

インストール時にファームウェアプログラムが「AK100」か「AK100MKII」かを自動で認識いたしますので、共通のファームウェアファイルになります。

Google Translation:
Firmware program because it will automatically recognize or "AK100" or "AK100MKII" during installation,It becomes the firmware file common.

what i wonder, i have RedWine moded RWAK100 ... will this update also apply to RWAK or only AK100II ???

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7,608 of 9,165

I don't think so. That's why we need generous MKII users to share their system folder, and we copy it to our modded device to let the update installation recognize ours as MKIIs.

Tindersticks, please do not forget to whistle (PM) when you find one.

what i wonder how safe this will be to use such FW on RWAK? we need Vinnie perhaps to help us clarify this issue.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #7,609 of 9,165
I don't see much danger in doing it and don't mind giving it a shot.
A kind MKII user said he would offer help, and I will be able to do the test by this weekend.
Definitely I will share the file with you guys if my speculation is correct.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #7,610 of 9,165
My unit suddenly stopped working all of a sudden. Couldnt power up even after I to hard reset it.

Left it overnight plugged into my comp to charge and it just wont wake up after that.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #7,611 of 9,165
  My unit suddenly stopped working all of a sudden. Couldnt power up even after I to hard reset it.

Left it overnight plugged into my comp to charge and it just wont wake up after that.

Try the hard reset again with the device unplugged from the computer.    The hard reset is your best bet.   You can try charging it from a wall charger to make sure that it isn't something wrong with the usb port.

If that doesn't work, you can try the "ironlung" method to reflash the rom.  Do a search for it in this thread.  This would only work if it is not a hardware failure,  If that works, you can try reinstalling firmware.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #7,612 of 9,165
I don't see much danger in doing it and don't mind giving it a shot.
A kind MKII user said he would offer help, and I will be able to do the test by this weekend.
Definitely I will share the file with you guys if my speculation is correct.

thanks, pls let us know, i have RWAK and interested.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #7,615 of 9,165

It happened to me twice so far. The player stays on all the time but will not boot up. If it's the case, there are only 2 solutions:

1) Wait for the battery to discharge completely and recharge it again.

2) Open the player, disconnect the battery and connect it again.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7,616 of 9,165
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a universal iem to go with my stock AK100 and have narrowed it down to Westone W4R and Sennheiser IE800. I'm currently leaning towards the W4R because my ears tire quickly from lots of bass, which I understand the IE800s provide in huge quantity. I prefer a balanced, detailed, and transparent sound and I listen to all genres but in particular blues, country, jazz, soul, and rnb. As an example, I prefer the HD800 over the LCD2.2s for longer listening periods. The bass on the LCD2.2s, though nice, often gets a bit fatiguing for me when listening for longer than 30 mins. 

Do you think the Westone W4R will be better than the IE800 for my sound quality needs? Is there another IEM that might be more appropriate? I understand that my choices are somewhat limited due to the 22 ohm impedence of the stock AK100 but I'm really hesitant about going the mod route at the moment. 

Cheers in advance for any feedback!   

EDIT: just wanted to add that I do not plan to use an amp for portability reasons.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7,618 of 9,165
Hi

have some questions.

I will buy an AK100 next week. At the moment I ripp my CDs (flac).

Which is the optimal cover size for AK100?
I have an Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250Ohm). Does the headphone works well with the Ak100.

Thanks
Chris

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #7,619 of 9,165
  Hi

have some questions.

I will buy an AK100 next week. At the moment I ripp my CDs (flac).

Which is the optimal cover size for AK100?
I have an Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250Ohm). Does the headphone works well with the Ak100.

Thanks
Chris

I previously kept my artwork at 150x150 but it kinds of look bad on the AK100 since it is too small. For me now the optimal size is at 200x200 pixels since I can keep the file size low and the picture shown in the playing now screen is decent (probably had a cutoff in the top and bottom since the AK100 screen is not a square).

As for the DT990, probably somebody else can chime in. I used the HE-400 on the AK100 and I have to turn it up to about 50 in volume to get a desirable amount of listening level.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #7,620 of 9,165
I'm not sure what the optimal cover size is for the AK100 but FWIW I normally just use sizes from 350x350 to 500x500 and these look fine to me on the AK100 - the covers fill the screen without a problem and do not seem large or small. I'm currently using Metadatics on my iMac to edit metadata on my music files, and it has a neat feature where you can search for any missing album covers that usually are of the required size for AK100 (sometimes there are various sizes to choose from). But the only caveat is that Metadatics ain't free- it costs about $10 USD from memory  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back