The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #8,807 of 9,165
The AK100 sound quality is clear and balanced. But everything else is bad in comparison to many players imo.

Bad UI which makes everything else a pain. Playlists, song selecting, EQ.
Battery life is alright tbf. Not amazing but it's no Cowon.

Clips variable bit rate mp3s. Never fixed it, Iriver ignore all emails. FLAC and normal mp3s are okay. But if you don't have the choice then what can you do?!

Demo one, then decide.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #8,808 of 9,165
The AK100 sound quality is clear and balanced. But everything else is bad in comparison to many players imo.

Clips variable bit rate mp3s. Never fixed it, Iriver ignore all emails. FLAC and normal mp3s are okay. But if you don't have the choice then what can you do?!

Demo one, then decide.

Persoannly, I feel if you're going to listen to mostly mp3's, go the iPod route. The AK is over kill for lossy formats.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #8,809 of 9,165

Persoannly, I feel if you're going to listen to mostly mp3's, go the iPod route. The AK is over kill for lossy formats.

But then so is the LCD-2 so...

One don't get the Sony it is not a good design for headphones.  Two LCD-2 and portable just isn't something worth pursuing.  Three for a portable rig the AK100 mk2 by itself is all you need.  And then only if you get a discount, otherwise get the AK100II.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #8,810 of 9,165

Demo one, then decide.

I wish I could demo one but there isn't any shops around me that carry it.

Oh I only listen to compact discs ripped to AIFF and ALAC.

But then so is the LCD-2 so...

One don't get the Sony it is not a good design for headphones.  Two LCD-2 and portable just isn't something worth pursuing.  Three for a portable rig the AK100 mk2 by itself is all you need.  And then only if you get a discount, otherwise get the AK100II.

Why isn't the Sony PHA-1 a good design for headphones?

I do agree with the LCD-2 not being portable, but I would only use it at my desk.

Are there any U.S. Retailers that sell the AK100 MK2 brand new under $700?

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #8,811 of 9,165
Here's one almost new (condition 9/10) from authorized dealer B&H going for $489.95 /w free shipping:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801080335-USE/astell_kern_ak100_mark_ii_ak100_mark_ii_high_fidelity.html

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #8,813 of 9,165
Why isn't the Sony PHA-1 a good design for headphones?

I do agree with the LCD-2 not being portable, but I would only use it at my desk.

Very high output impedance.  Basically unusable for in ears and other headphones with impedance that swings.  Even those that measure flat impedance wise would have poor dampening.  Just a poor choice unless the headphone is high impedance and fairly flat impedance curve.

LCD-2 on your desk is fine but still demands desktop amplification for make the price tag worth it.  That said, with the right amp the LCD-2 is awesome.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #8,814 of 9,165
Very high output impedance.  Basically unusable for in ears and other headphones with impedance that swings.  Even those that measure flat impedance wise would have poor dampening.  Just a poor choice unless the headphone is high impedance and fairly flat impedance curve.

LCD-2 on your desk is fine but still demands desktop amplification for make the price tag worth it.  That said, with the right amp the LCD-2 is awesome.

If I was to get the PHA-1 I would get the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohms. Would that work well?

What portable amp you think would work well with the LCD-2?

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8,815 of 9,165
What portable amp you think would work well with the LCD-2?

I honestly don't know any that would be worth getting for home use.  Save your money and just get a Schiit Asgard 2 for home.

The AK100 mk2 should run the 770 alone but unless you already own it...the AT50 is a better headphone and you should just stick with it.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #8,817 of 9,165
Alright, so I've decide on two choices.

1. Purchase the Cypher Labs Bundle: Duet + Solo -dB + Balanced Interconnect + Gear Bag and continue using my iPod Classic. The bundle is $1,199.00. I then can purchase the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohms. Which rounds the price to around $1,400.00.

2. I can purchase the AK100 MKII, The International + and the Green Line Interconect from ALO Audio for around $1,469.10.

I demoed the DT770 and found them more comfortable then the ATH-M50 and the DT770 does not leak any sound. I will purchase them with any setup I decide to go with.

Also, would the Cypher Labs bundle sound better than the AK100 MKII and International +?

I'm an Apple Fan, so I usually stick with Apple products but since the iPod Classic is discontinued I'm thinking more about the future. The AK100 would handle any form of high resolution audio I through at it. Although I have no problem with my iPod becuase I prefer to purchase CD's and rip them but later down the road I see myself joining the HDTracks crowd.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #8,818 of 9,165
Now I'm confused...

Are you looking at the old black AK100 mk2 or the new silver AK100II?  They are wildly different and this thread is for the older black model.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,820 of 9,165
If it was me... AK100II, the new silver one, and call it a day.  Also if you have to get something else than the M50... keep looking.  The 770 just isn't good for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back