The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Aug 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #6,992 of 9,165
Aug 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,993 of 9,165
Quote:
I have tried this as well do you think its due to the s mod?

You have the S mod.......
size]

Should have mentioned this in the first instance, the S mod nullifies the USB Dac function!

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #6,994 of 9,165
Quote:
FYI - yet another local source here in Hong Kong

http://www.facebook.com/Hercules.Workshop/posts/324810464332078

Here is the solid core cable for that mod

http://clairvoyantcables.com/id106.html

ohh... thanks for the share. would KIV this service.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #6,995 of 9,165
Quote:
Here are instructions for AK120. Now it is suitable for AK100 and you can see how to configure USB DAC (Basics 15).
http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeView.asp?selectPart=&findWord=&sno=1075&page=1&cateCode=
Foobar - Library - Configure - Output- iriver USB DAC

If this doesn't help @ivanrocks321, can you please specify where the issue lies? I.e. does your computer recognise the Ak100 as a DAC, but no sound? Does it not even recognise the AK100 as a DAC?

Quote:
@bmichels Completely for portability's sake for me. Great IEMs do some things quite well (sometimes better than headphones) but for the complete immersive experience don't really hold a candle to TOTL headphones IMO. For home use, I'd never consider any of the several $$$ IEMs I currently have on hand over the TH-900. For use outside... well, lugging the TH-900 around isn't a very attractive option for me. Kudos to iRiver for continuing to update the firmware. The USB DAC option was a welcome addition, and I just downloaded the Pro EQ 2.20. Listening to it now, will see over the next few hours if it's an attractive option compared to no EQ.

On that note, I tried the Pro EQ with my RWAK100 (i.e. modded for impedance) and could still hear a change in the sound so it DOES work with modded AK100s (as it should because the hardware mod shouldn't affect software EQs). What I can't say is if it works as intended. If iRiver are using the Pro EQ in an attempt to offset impedance issues, it may be unecessary and detrimental on modded versions.

Personally, I prefer the sound without the Pro EQ with RWAK100 direct to UM Miracles. The Pro EQ sounds to me like a V-shaped EQ curve which is essentially a "loudness" adjustment in old school hi-fi- terms (if what I'm hearing is accurate).

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6,996 of 9,165
Quote:

If this doesn't help @ivanrocks321, can you please specify where the issue lies? I.e. does your computer recognise the Ak100 as a DAC, but no sound? Does it not even recognise the AK100 as a DAC?

On that note, I tried the Pro EQ with my RWAK100 (i.e. modded for impedance) and could still hear a change in the sound so it DOES work with modded AK100s (as it should because the hardware mod shouldn't affect software EQs). What I can't say is if it works as intended. If iRiver are using the Pro EQ in an attempt to offset impedance issues, it may be unecessary and detrimental on modded versions.

Personally, I prefer the sound without the Pro EQ with RWAK100 direct to UM Miracles. The Pro EQ sounds to me like a V-shaped EQ curve which is essentially a "loudness" adjustment in old school hi-fi- terms (if what I'm hearing is accurate).

He has the S mod on the AK100

The usb function does not work after the S mod...........

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #6,999 of 9,165
Dignis Case! Unboxing!

Box!

Inside!

Case!

Protective Film! Not for screen. Just for 3.5mm jacks and power button.

AK100!

Back

Overall, Dignis case is very solid. I got the Black/Red Simple Version(Without metal tab on the back). If you are in Korea, you should buy them from Dignis's website, as they only cost $30. Very good case(and just about the only case besides iRiver's case). According to their website, they are making samples for diary case with 6 slots for Micro SD cards for AK100. This should be interesting.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #7,005 of 9,165
Oh Dear

I do apologize guys....and especially to Vinnie!!!

The USB Dac function does work! So embarrassed here....I have been trying on the USB 3 ports on my Desktop which are on the side of the monitor and really convenient, while the USB 2 ports are at the back and bloody hard to get to.
Basically, I been doing what I preach not to do, and that is use a USB 3 port
size]
. I have just checked on my Laptop and the USD Dac functions fine and sounds great. Cannot wait for the arrival of the arrival of the RWAK120 S tomorrow............................... 

Again many apologies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back