The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #6,211 of 9,165
Quote:
Wait... I don't get this. So yhe gold version of ak100 sounds better than stock, yet they are priced the same? What changed?

well i have A/B between both stock Black and Gold, and the Gold sounds better (to me at least). Based on Rudi's previous comments, the Gold uses a different battery; a more powerful one.

Perhaps this (different batteries) could attribute to "better sounding".

HOWEVER, today my friend did A/B as well between the Black and Gold, and he said that tho there were difference in sound signature, he preferred the Black more.

So in conclusion... i guess its pretty much subjective to the type of music you listen to.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #6,212 of 9,165
Quote:

well i have A/B between both stock Black and Gold, and the Gold sounds better (to me at least). Based on Rudi's previous comments, the Gold uses a different battery; a more powerful one.

Perhaps this (different batteries) could attribute to "better sounding".

HOWEVER, today my friend did A/B as well between the Black and Gold, and he said that tho there were difference in sound signature, he preferred the Black more.

So in conclusion... i guess its pretty much subjective to the type of music you listen to.

The part in bold really. 

Are you bringing your good self to the Singapore meet coming up? :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6,213 of 9,165
Quote:

The part in bold really. 

Are you bringing your good self to the Singapore meet coming up? :)

I dont think so at the moment; its the exams period for me.. unless, my papers ends before the meet.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #6,214 of 9,165
Quote:

I dont think so at the moment; its the exams period for me.. unless, my papers ends before the meet.

Geez. Exams in September?!

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,215 of 9,165
Quote:

No volume knob either, and the hole is capped.

Hi BUJ,

I still need to get pics up.  Maybe next week - I'm busy! 
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

The bottom has a badge just like the RWAK100, but this time is says "RWAK100-S by Red Wine Audio" .
And yes, the volume knob is removed and the hole is capped.  

Vinnie

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #6,216 of 9,165
Quote:

I'd love to get my hands on the battery in the Gold and the battery in the Black and compare them on the bench (as well as listen).  Didn't JMoon confirm that they are the same, and only difference is the color of the unit?

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #6,217 of 9,165
Quote:

I'd love to get my hands on the battery in the Gold and the battery in the Black and compare them on the bench (as well as listen).  Didn't JMoon confirm that they are the same, and only difference is the color of the unit?

Yes, but IIRC he then later ended his post saying that he would get back to us again regarding the battery used between Black and Gold.

I have personally PM-ed rudi0504 regarding the difference and he said that his DIY friend (who has the Gold as well) claimed that the battery is indeed different from the Black. Hence, because of this claim, i bought the Gold instead.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #6,218 of 9,165
Quote:

Hi BUJ,

I still need to get pics up.  Maybe next week - I'm busy! 
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

The bottom has a badge just like the RWAK100, but this time is says "RWAK100-S by Red Wine Audio" .
And yes, the volume knob is removed and the hole is capped.  

Vinnie

Thanks,

Honestly the most exciting part of your "S" mod, is how the new line out is still a digital out.  That's means it'll still be a great pairing for the upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8 LX, while becoming a near perfect profile match for the new RSA Lightning....

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6,219 of 9,165
Quote:

Inference is a natural process of threads like this.......not mind reading!

All pictures are with reference to the subject matter...can't see anything wrong there, just scroll through faster
size]

I wouldn't go as far as saying I am "too" right, but my former professional career entails me being right, for the majority of the time.......
size]

Anyway, your point being?

oh i think you grasp my point....inference is a natural process of conversations like this....!!!

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #6,220 of 9,165
My AK 100S is in the post thank you Vinnie and will it be the first into Australia?
Trouble is amp is out of stock and waiting on leads also.
So it will be some time before my audio jigsaw puzzle comes together down under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back