The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #6,166 of 9,165
^
first you state 2.0 is sterile and anemic then much smoother ?!?

spks do you listen music or gear...?...perhaps you've got a new piece of your $2k-per-week-habit confused with the ak100..?

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6,167 of 9,165
Quote:
^
first you state 2.0 is sterile and anemic then much smoother ?!?

spks do you listen music or gear...?...perhaps you've got a new piece of your $2k-per-week-habit confused with the ak100..?

"Just updated my Ak100 to v2.01

Nice, cleaner sounding and quite reminiscent of the AK120 with less note weight....depth has been stretch allowing better layering. Bass has more detail but lacks the punch of Lustrid 2.0. Vocals has a lot more air around it and sounds more distinct, although as a whole still musical where the 2.0 was, for me anemic and rather sterile.

Really down to preference and IEMs now but overall I like it quite a lot."

2.0 refers to the iRiver beta otherwise I would have put Lustrid in front...........

CONFUSION is never on my part

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #6,168 of 9,165
Updated mine to 2.01 and hot damn my AK100 went on a crazy "reading SD card" spree.

To solve this just remove both your SD card, turn the thingy off, insert SD card, turn on the bling bling machine and happy listening. Hope I helped.

If this is a double post then I'm sorry.. Jk I'm not sorry.

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Jun 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6,169 of 9,165
My AK100S has shipped, thanks Vinnie!

Expect it on Tuesday as public holidays here, Monday
size]

I discussed with Vinnie and decided to have my AK100S attenuated to 1Vrms, output ISO the standard 2Vrms as I am only using it with portable amps and wanted to have lots of play on the volume pot in these amps......will see next week if this is a good decision and report back.

A huge thanks to Vinnie and his flexibility/patience in accommodating my wishes and explaining all the pros and cons of my request!!!

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6,170 of 9,165
Oh spks, totally my fault for not reading your mind when your not specific...nvmd, just keep showing us the pics of your latest acquisitions and all your gear cause that really why I'm here !!! you too right ?!?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #6,171 of 9,165
Quote:
Oh spks, totally my fault for not reading your mind when your not specific...nvmd, just keep showing us the pics of your latest acquisitions and all your gear cause that really why I'm here !!! you too right ?!?

Inference is a natural process of threads like this.......not mind reading!

All pictures are with reference to the subject matter...can't see anything wrong there, just scroll through faster
size]

I wouldn't go as far as saying I am "too" right, but my former professional career entails me being right, for the majority of the time.......
size]

Anyway, your point being?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6,172 of 9,165

size]

I discussed with Vinnie and decided to have my AK100S attenuated to 1Vrms, output ISO the standard 2Vrms as I am only using it with portable amps and wanted to have lots of play on the volume pot in these amps......will see next week if this is a good decision and report back.

A huge thanks to Vinnie and his flexibility/patience in accommodating my wishes and explaining all the pros and cons of my request!!!

Interesting, wondering if it will efficiently drive the no. of amps that u own

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6,173 of 9,165
Quote:
Interesting, wondering if it will efficiently drive the no. of amps that u own

That's the reason I asked for 1Vrms....and for portable amps I am hoping it will be fine but obviously negates desktop usages.

I discussed with Vinnie that I used volume at 55 on the AK100 and this made all my portable amps usable especially regarding the volume pot. That supposedly equates approximately to 1Vrms.

Still fingers crossed, until I get to try but I am hopeful. I would add that attenuating the output has some degradation towards ultimate SQ from the player.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #6,174 of 9,165
Quote:

size]

I will be eagerly waiting for your feedback on this mod 
size]
 Seriously thinking about sending in my Ak100 for this mod.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #6,175 of 9,165
sending the rwa made more sense imo to get the sq improvement while keeping the portable outlook. you dont need an external amp if you dont get a hard to drive headphone or not planning to get one

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #6,176 of 9,165
That's the reason I asked for 1Vrms....and for portable amps I am hoping it will be fine but obviously negates desktop usages.

I discussed with Vinnie that I used volume at 55 on the AK100 and this made all my portable amps usable especially regarding the volume pot. That supposedly equates approximately to 1Vrms.

Still fingers crossed, until I get to try but I am hopeful. I would add that attenuating the output has some degradation towards ultimate SQ from the player.

Salut for trying this mod and feedback to the community. Definitely an interesting upgrade if I move up my gear collection to accompany it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #6,178 of 9,165
Quote:
Since i almost always use my AK100 with an amp, i hope the RWAK100S sound awesome. I love how he 8741 sounds. Here's to hoping that the 'S' mod sounds spectacular!

Ah. Now I know who you are. The display picture gave you away :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #6,179 of 9,165
where can i buy AK100 cheap to send this for S mod to Vinnie? also i would want some other color, red or silver or gold :frowning2:

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #6,180 of 9,165
Quote:
where can i buy AK100 cheap to send this for S mod to Vinnie? also i would want some other color, red or silver or gold :frowning2:

Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back