The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #138 of 9,165
If you read carefully the review about the guys said that iRiver AK sound very clean with sensitive IEM, and knowing nealry all iRiver products i belive they took their time to come up with an original design and preminum sound, and yes it does work with anything from 16-300 ohm.

well sorry but if the output impedance is 22ohms, I dont care what they say, it is NOT suitable for IEMs, particularly multidriver IEMs, since due to the crossover they can present less than 10ohms in the bass, even those like my jh13 that are rated at 28ohms nominal. this results in an uneven power response vs frequency

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #139 of 9,165
Look, stop being ridiculous. I've been listening to mine all day without incident, enjoying how it sounds, trying a variety of genres out... chilling out to some female vocals, some nasty bass lines, some widdly guitars... it's a bit of niche consumer electronics, not an identity crisis in a box.

Just turn the bloody thing on and listen to it!
Quote:
I know this is weird.....I have a brand new one fully charged for three days and have not turned it on. I'm scared!!!!! 
eek.gif

LOL......I've had my share of quirky freezing software and don't want to go there again.

Then I hear about SQ....now 196GB....and if you just are patient its all good......just when I thought I was done, like Al Pacino....."They drag me back in"

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #140 of 9,165
Quote:
Look, stop being ridiculous. I've been listening to mine all day without incident, enjoying how it sounds, trying a variety of genres out... chilling out to some female vocals, some nasty bass lines, some widdly guitars... it's a bit of niche consumer electronics, not an identity crisis in a box.

Just turn the bloody thing on and listen to it!

Is he talking about an ipod? ha ha

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #141 of 9,165
Quote:
Anybody want to give them a call to find out when AK 100 will be released or sold in UK?
Distribution NTP (UK) Limited Address Ashridge Manor, Forest Road, Wokingham,
Berkshire, RG40 5RB, United Kingdom Tel +44 (0) 118 989 3434 Fax +44 (0) 118 989 3435 Email info@ntpuk.com Web Site www.ntpuk.co.uk www.iriveruk.com

I gave them a call today and the guy has not even heard about it.
He also said they don't really have that much to do with iriver anymore.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #145 of 9,165
Quote:
Thank you for that. Cowon S9 output independence is 2.17 ohm and iRiver AK 100 is 22.41, so that mean is i use my Westone 4R this won't sound good?

i think it is not about good or bad, but will change the sound signatual
http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&page=2&document_srl=2049727

check 05 impedance and phase.

if u change device s9 to ak100, based on what they said you gonna have lil bit more midhigh and bass(below 100hrz)

http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Mobile&page=4&document_srl=17826

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #146 of 9,165
Oct 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #147 of 9,165
Quote:
Thank you for that. Cowon S9 output independence is 2.17 ohm and iRiver AK 100 is 22.41, so that mean is i use my Westone 4R this won't sound good?

Higher output impedance generally means the frequency response will not be as intended by the manufacturer on lower impedance earphones, especially those with nonlinear impedance curves. It could change sig and become less balanced. Don't know about the s9 but the I9 shows bass roll off on low impedance devices even though it's output impedance is in the acceptable range. Likely uses too small of a DC blocking capacitor at the output so there's always more to it.

If the output impedance measurement is accurate on the AK100 (RMAA can be fooled), I'm pretty disappointed in the result. It may be acceptable in many cases but when you design leading edge and upmarket product, why make this big of a compromise. It would be easy to design in a lower output impedance. If true, this is a major oversight and disconnect in the planning or design phase. I had high hopes for this one and now my interest if waning.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #149 of 9,165
Sad that it is 22 ohms. That is ridiculous. How can they mess up on something so basic.....? Wonder if  they will address this before releasing the player because this is not acceptable. Come on what do you think the main crowd for this device would be for? The portable crowd and most of which is sensitive IEMs, not headphones.... Leave the full-size headphones at home :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back