The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #6,706 of 9,165
hey guys i know the Ak100 has better sound quailty to to the fiio X3 , but i recently got hold of some cash and i can order the Ak100  and i am going to be using my ASG-2 hybrid IEM whicb is 34Ohm will it be idea to pair it with the AK100 as i heard it has problems with High sensitive iem ETC 

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #6,707 of 9,165
Quote:
hey guys i know the Ak100 has better sound quailty to to the fiio X3 , but i recently got hold of some cash and i can order the Ak100  and i am going to be using my ASG-2 hybrid IEM whicb is 34Ohm will it be idea to pair it with the AK100 as i heard it has problems with High sensitive iem ETC 

Horrible idea, don't pair it with 34 ohm impedance iem unless you will use an amp to bypass AK100's output impedance. In that case try to find an amp with less than 2 ohm output impedance. Less than 1 is always secure and best.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6,708 of 9,165
Quote:
Horrible idea, don't pair it with 34 ohm impedance iem unless you will use an amp to bypass AK100's output impedance. In that case try to find an amp with less than 2 ohm output impedance. Less than 1 is always secure and best.

AWW man that put a damper on my upgrade options...but i did hear that the xduoo XD-01 has near perfect synergy with the Ak100 when paired through the optical out. but my budget ends at the Ak100 any upgrades will have to wait atleast 2 months...gosh...any upgrade options from a Fiio X3 guys ? 

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #6,710 of 9,165
Hum, all due respect, do not make such strong comments unless you have heard the pairing. The output impedance makes the pairing THEORETICALLY not ideal, but there is no telling what the result will be on an iem. The Ak100 unmodded with Miracles sounded quite nice I thought.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6,711 of 9,165
Quote:
Hum, all due respect, do not make such strong comments unless you have heard the pairing. The output impedance makes the pairing THEORETICALLY not ideal, but there is no telling what the result will be on an iem. The Ak100 unmodded with Miracles sounded quite nice I thought.

Well you are right but the FR range of the iems will be changed so they don't sound ideal, they will sound something else. Maybe he can like that new sound who knows.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #6,714 of 9,165
Well, i would say that what is on the paper is optimal; basically it is a guideline to follow.

However if there's synergy between the DAP and CIEM/Headphones, it would be heavenly.

And if there's no synergy between the two, to me, no matter how many papers to proof that less 1 ohm is optimal, it would sound "not right" to any individual, based on their taste and pursuit of best sound signature/quality.

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,715 of 9,165

I disagree with this completely, I use the ASG-2 straight out of a stock AK100 and I find they sound amazing. Excellent dynamics and soundstage, they actually sound better than the Tzar 350. I would say you won't be disappointed with Stock AK100 & ASG-2

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6,716 of 9,165
Quote:
I disagree with this completely, I use the ASG-2 straight out of a stock AK100 and I find they sound amazing. Excellent dynamics and soundstage, they actually sound better than the Tzar 350. I would say you won't be disappointed with Stock AK100 & ASG-2

ALRIGHT !!!!! gonna get me a AK100 ! with the nice designer brown leather pouch or if i can afford it the [size=small]Xduoo XD-01  [/size]!!! 

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,717 of 9,165
I've tried the ASG-2 direct from my stock AK100 before and they sound OK to me.
No change in sound signature when I tried it out from my C5 amp.
It could due to the dynamic driver in G-2 that I didn't notice any roll-off in the lower frequency.
With TG!334, it was totally different scenario

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #6,718 of 9,165
I just picked up an AK100 and after doing more research I am concerned I didn't get a device that matches well with the headphones  already have.  I primarily listen on several different types of headphones depending on the give circumstances.

Here are what I use and their spec's

Main headphones
sennheiser  IE80's   16 ohm impedance
vmoda M100  32 ohm impedance

Other ones I use
Polk ultra fit 2000    32 ohm impedance
polk ultra fit 3000     16 ohm impedance.

I must admit I don't completely understand how all of the specs play together.

Thanks for any help you can give
Mike 

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6,719 of 9,165
I just picked up an AK100 and after doing more research I am concerned I didn't get a device that matches well with the headphones  already have.  I primarily listen on several different types of headphones depending on the give circumstances.

Main headphones

Other ones I use

Mike 

invest a bit in decent amp or send AK100 for mod, either to Vinnie from Red Wine Audio or Mezzo maker guys. i have Red Wine mod and feel happy.
Amping can be the way to go if you do not mind some bulkness, check highly popular JDS Labs C5 or Tralucent T1, also Leckerton UHA6MkII.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #6,720 of 9,165

Main headphones

Other ones I use

Mike 

Since you already have the ak, why don't you just plug in the iems you have and decide for yourself whether they are good matches or not? Ultimately, it is about whether you like the sound or not - not what a graph says. You should just trust your own ears at this point. If you don't like the sound, you can then decide whether to return the ak or send it in for a mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back