The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 27, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #6,484 of 6,859
AFAIK, Almost all LIPO Batteries come with charging circuits. Some are hidden under foil, some are not.
I thought so as well, but that might not be all there is to this. For example my other DAP the Xduoo X3 used to ship with two significantly different battery packs and in Rockbox settings you would need select the right one. Maybe charging is not the issue, but it's about battery percentage reporting & battery stats. I don't know. (my X3 battery has also started expanding after 4-5 years, so I'm about the replace the battery in 2 separate daps) It would be nice if people tested random LiPo batteries with their aging daps, but for some reason they just tend to throw their devices out. There is barely any google-able information around about this. Since Aliexpress sells batteries for these specific devices, it's logical to just try those first.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #6,485 of 6,859
I made a discovery today!

A few days ago I noticed that my dying battery has generously removed the back cover of my Hiby r3 player. (yay no need to bother with a heatgun) So I ordered a new battery from AliExpress & removed the old one. Here comes the interesting part, on a whim I connected my battery-less R3 to a Xiaomi power bank & lo and behold it works! It's annoying that it does not remember any settings & you gotta select language on every boot, but it's comforting to know that I can still use the player once I can no longer buy a matching battery for it.. (plus it should last quite a bit longer with a big power bank)

Just the right amount of expansion for a gentle back cover removal:

-

I received the battery yesterday. (Aliexpress - BiUBi Factory Store $19 with VAT included)

IMG_20220419_095352.jpg

The fit is good, despite the scraped of paper revealing that it's a 4.8mm thick battery, rather than the 4.5mm original. There is a little more space on top, but that's great for my wire on wire soldering shenanigans.
After putting it back together the player showed a battery percentage of 42%. I started listening to music, but unfortunately the r3 turned itself off at 20% & it only took an hour to reach that. Needless to say I was pretty unhappy about that..
After charging it to full I started a long testing session to see how long the battery would last. The end result is beyond my wildest expectations, the player shut itself down after 11 hours and 12 minutes. For this test I used the Xiaomi Graphene Headphones at 40% volume, high gain.(SE, but obviously higher power consumption than normal) What's interesting that the battery percentage dropped to 90% in a couple of minutes, it was at 40% at the 10 hour mark & at 20% at the time I checked for the last time about 10 minutes before it ran out of juice.

TLDr: The replacement battery is better than the original I've had, but the battery percentage indicator is no longer useful.

(I'll edit this post, if the battery starts deteriorating prematurely.)

-----

Speaking of High Gain, these headphones sound far better in HG mode, rather than using LG with a higher volume. it's just a livelier, more dynamic sound.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #6,486 of 6,859
I received the battery yesterday. (Aliexpress - BiUBi Factory Store $19 with VAT included)

IMG_20220419_095352.jpg

The fit is good, despite the scraped of paper revealing that it's a 4.8mm thick battery, rather than the 4.5mm original. There is a little more space on top, but that's great for my wire on wire soldering shenanigans.
After putting it back together the player showed a battery percentage of 42%. I started listening to music, but unfortunately the r3 turned itself off at 20% & it only took an hour to reach that. Needless to say I was pretty unhappy about that..
After charging it to full I started a long testing session to see how long the battery would last. The end result is beyond my wildest expectations, the player shut itself down after 11 hours and 12 minutes. For this test I used the Xiaomi Graphene Headphones at 40% volume, high gain.(SE, but obviously higher power consumption than normal) What's interesting that the battery percentage dropped to 90% in a couple of minutes, it was at 40% at the 10 hour mark & at 20% at the time I checked for the last time about 10 minutes before it ran out of juice.

TLDr: The replacement battery is better than the original I've had, but the battery percentage indicator is no longer useful.

(I'll edit this post, if the battery starts deteriorating prematurely.)

-----

Speaking of High Gain, these headphones sound far better in HG mode, rather than using LG with a higher volume. it's just a livelier, more dynamic sound.
Sometimes New Batteries need to go through several charge/discharge cycles to read properly and to reach full potential in devices.

Great that this worked so well for you!

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #6,487 of 6,859
Hi all,

I already send this thead but likely on the wrong section. I’d like to improve the sound quality of my R3 Pro Sabre when connected to my home HiFi system. Connecting it directly to my amplifier through Jack to RCA cable the sound quality is crap, muted, poorly defined,... Is there a way to improve it? Can I connected the R3 to a HiFi external DAC using the USB C connector (USB C to B cable)? I don’t want to invest without being sûre this will work and improve sound quality.
Cheers

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #6,488 of 6,859
Hi all,

I already send this thead but likely on the wrong section. I’d like to improve the sound quality of my R3 Pro Sabre when connected to my home HiFi system. Connecting it directly to my amplifier through Jack to RCA cable the sound quality is crap, muted, poorly defined,... Is there a way to improve it? Can I connected the R3 to a HiFi external DAC using the USB C connector (USB C to B cable)? I don’t want to invest without being sûre this will work and improve sound quality.
Cheers

Have you activated line-out mode in R3 for jack out?

Apr 30, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #6,490 of 6,859
Thanks for your answer, of course I did it but still the sound is muted, treble absent,.... Compared to my CD player thermistor no match at all. Do you think that connecting R3 through USB C to RCA would change something ?
Some things to try:
1) Try using the 3.5mm jack with normal headphone out setting; And then try setting the volume at 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%... See if any of these match your system better than the LO setting that still goes through the same internal amps and it not a "true" line out.
2) Make sure that your 3.5mm to RCA cable is good quality and is making a good connection. Maybe clean the 3.5mm male end of the cable, AND the 3,5mm jack on the R3 with some (Over70%) Isopropyl Alcohol (OR electronics connection cleaner).

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #6,492 of 6,859
Thanks, I did try both but no difference. My cable is maye not optimal. Do you have any suggestion? Do you think that plugging it to an HiFi DAC, if possible, would change anything?
I am no expert, and you may know more than me. Just thinking about some reasons for poor quality sound from your home system:

- What "home hifi" device are you plugging into? Are you using "AUX" RCA inputs? (for example a Phono Input may not work well as it's designed for lower power input.)

- If your Home HiFi needs more input power, using High Gain on the 3.5mm out might make it sound better. IF you try this, start at say 30% output and increase it until it sounds the same volume as your normal inputs. That would match the input volume of your other input devices.

- You can check if the cable is OK by measuring resistance from the 3.5MM Jack to the RCA outputs with a Volt/Ohm Meter. It's just 3 wires making a connection. Resistance should be under 1 ohm. The Right Channel to the 3.5mm, the Left Channel to the 3.5mm, and the Common "Ground" then needs to be checked two times; once to each RCA cable. I suppose that the wires could also be partly shorted internally. which can also be checked

- Both the cable (If Unshielded) and the R3 itself can pick up noise if too close to other electronic devices. (Many 3.5mm to RCA cables are not shielded.)

- Another DAC/Amp might work better. But seems unlikely that it would be that much better than the DAC/AMP in the R3 by just using another external dac/amp. (Unless your R3 is defective and sounds poor through earphones already...)

All I can quickly think of... Maybe someone with more knowledge and experience than me can help you more if none of this works.

Good luck!

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #6,493 of 6,859
Thanks for your comments. I'll try to answer to all of your points. I'm plugging my R3 to an old NAD stereo amplifier using a jack to RCA cable using the video port. No digital possibility on this amplifier. The cable I'm using is a dedicated audio one but I have no tools to mesure the resistance. I ordered a new one to see. I haven't notice how bad was the sound out of it since I listened a CD which I'm not doing very often and since I heard a FLAC file played on a HiFi DAC from a friend of mine. I was shocked by the difference with what I'm getting with my R3 Pro. The sound definition was what you expect from such a file. The sound quality using iem is, vrom my point of view, decent. A friend of mine recently purchased a R3 Pro, I'll try with his device how it sounds compare to mine. I'm not wiling to spend extra money for a HiFi DAC while the R3 Pro already possesses at least one supposedly very efficient. Using the USB C port as audio out will discard the R3 DAC which is not what I'm after. Well that's a guess but I'm not sure. If any of you have additional thoughts you are welcome.

May 9, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #6,495 of 6,859
my go to method to add music is

Plug micro sd into computer. Transfer new music, put microsd back into player. Everytime I do this it rescans the whole 256gb worth of music which is 10k files. even if I am only adding 1 folder. Is there anyway around this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back