The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,326 of 6,859
Glad they are staring to ship for more people, hopefully everybody will have them soon. And Hiby ok so we can’t have tidal offline, but get off the pot and get us LDAC. Pay the licensing fees or whatever you have to do to make it happen!

And any other cool features you can muster such as other streaming services or whatever to help make up for the shipping fiasco and the broken promises of features.

It’s still a nice beautiful little unit but it needs to have more.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,328 of 6,859
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,331 of 6,859
well backer #1 here. I have got good news and bad news (atleast for me).
The good news is that my r3 has shipped and will reach me in 3 days! the bad news is that it has been shipped by dhl which means exorbitant duty amounts!

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,332 of 6,859
also, get well soon joe :)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,333 of 6,859
If you are talking about with no eq or effects it definitely has nice bass response and is just a tiny touch warm. If you are talking about using cowon’s jet effects I don’t know because I haven’t tried the EQ or the magic 8 ball yet.

From memory the plenue might have had a touch more weight in the bottom, but R3 isn’t thin or analytic sounding and is superior in detail and sound stage and instrument separatiion. Dynamics are good on R3.

I also imagine you can get a lot more bass slam with the dsp effects.
thanks

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,334 of 6,859

Np, I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with the sound. It’s not flagship but sounds better than lots of daps to my ears, and it’s very small- I mean it’s got a great sound for a small dap.

I was also considering the Shanling MO (which I still might get to play around with) but with my huge ham hands I might have trouble swiping that tiny screen. That’s why I returned the Cayin n3, because I had a tough time with those little capacitive buttons.

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,337 of 6,859
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,338 of 6,859
I really love the magic 8 ball on the R6

Super happy that it works just as well on the R3.

Though everyone probably knows this already, MSEB (Magic 8 ball), takes effect before the DAC converts, which means it works great for external DACs like Mojo or H2 or iDSD, and bt headphones (e.g. sony wh1000xm2). Very nifty.
Ideal for my overly smooth nightowl to get a little sharper. Also ideal for the bass heavy cascade, to subdue the thumpy bass a little. Moving several of those sliders just slightly off center, maybe plus or minus 2-4. It brings up very low volume instruments a little more forward, subdues very forward instruments, bring the sound profile a little closer to the h2 sound I like so much.

For my experimentation anyway, it's much easier to get to a preferred sound profile using mseb than eq.

DAC mode is fun too. I wish that MSEB worked in DAC mode. Cuz that would be a ton of fun. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,339 of 6,859

Though everyone probably knows this already, MSEB (Magic 8 ball), takes effect before the DAC converts, which means it works great for external DACs like Mojo or H2 or iDSD, and bt headphones (e.g. sony wh1000xm2). Very nifty.
Ideal for my overly smooth nightowl to get a little sharper. Also ideal for the bass heavy cascade, to subdue the thumpy bass a little. Moving several of those sliders just slightly off center, maybe plus or minus 2-4. It brings up very low volume instruments a little more forward, subdues very forward instruments, bring the sound profile a little closer to the h2 sound I like so much.

For my experimentation anyway, it's much easier to get to a preferred sound profile using mseb than eq.

DAC mode is fun too. I wish that MSEB worked in DAC mode. Cuz that would be a ton of fun. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Cool can’t wait to have time to mess with it!

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,340 of 6,859

Does mseb lower the volume? Got the MDR-1000X (come on ldac)

Now waiting for nr 14 black to ship\get tracking etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back