The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,276 of 6,859
from what i read..they have the Chinese version of R3 that doesn't include Tidal but different Chinese streaming service.
kickstarter was for the international version of Hiby R3
https://item.jd.com/6906334.html

There are some Chinese reviews which you can run through Google Translate.

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,277 of 6,859
I usually get the black but I'm not to fussed about the colour.

I picked grey, thinking most people picked black therefore the queue for grey will be shorter.

So, did you guys get the email from HiBy asking specifically to choose color preference???? I did not get an email. If so, can you post a screen shot so I can search my inbox/spam to double check if it’s there or not? I was backer 471
Thanks

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,278 of 6,859
So, did you guys get the email from HiBy asking specifically to choose color preference???? I did not get an email. If so, can you post a screen shot so I can search my inbox/spam to double check if it’s there or not? I was backer 471
Thanks
The link is in Update 7 on the KS page. The email is the automatic email of Update 7. Don't worry official survey isn't out yet, this is to gauge response :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,280 of 6,859
from what i read..they have the Chinese version of R3 that doesn't include Tidal but different Chinese streaming service.
kickstarter was for the international version of Hiby R3

From what i know, there is no difference between Chinese and international versions, it is not like it was with R6.
As for jd.com, that was kind of pre-sale, about 400 units, now closed, till next batch apparently.
And no, there is no any Chinese streaming services there (which was quite a surprise), and yes, no Tidal or Spotify as well.
Just Hiby Music.
So far it looks more like beta-testing since some features are not implemented well yet.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,281 of 6,859
https://item.jd.com/6906334.html

There are some Chinese reviews which you can run through Google Translate.

Ok managed to get some time for rudimentary translation (please correct me as my Chinese isn't the best)
  • Nice features and slick look, but the white case looks horrible paired with the R3
  • Aluminium chassis QC improved from R6, but some have slightly loose buttons
  • Slight bass emphasis which seems to favour the pairup with Hiby Seeds earphones, more consumer friendly signature (MSG added lol compared to neutral) - the headfonia/headfonics reviews seem to be consistent so just read those
  • Black body is matte finish, similar to grey
  • Soundstage/detail retrieval in line with price, balanced jack more powerful but slightly colder sound, soundstage more tall than wide
  • Interface more fluid than Kann and AK300, but font can be a bit small, works great as a transport
I was double checking my poor Chinese with Google Translate and got cracked up by this one from Google: "anal anal M3s" - I think he is trying to say that both M3s and R3 have similar design philosophies, before going on to complain about the lack of Canjams/audio shows in Beijing:
https://imgur.com/htxv5IX

The interface better be good, as it looks like that's the strongest bit of the R3 now.

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,286 of 6,859
I was double checking my poor Chinese with Google Translate and got cracked up by this one from Google: "anal anal M3s" - I think he is trying to say that both M3s and R3 have similar design philosophies, before going on to complain about the lack of Canjams/audio shows in Beijing:
https://imgur.com/htxv5IX

It could be simple mistype due to pinyin input, for example 干干M3s, like a dry version of M3s.
But i am afraid we never know what does that really mean

And yes, interface is the strongest side of R3, it is very fast and very responsive, no any freeze so far.
Animation of changing volume was made in A&K style, but not that fancy though.
Appearance is good as well, perfect build quality, great touchscreen and display as well.

The weakest side is sound - inclined to warm side with poor resolution and reduced highs. Probably there could be some people who like such sound sig, unfortunately i am not one of them, it seems to me dull, flabby and boring. Someone from Chinese on jd.com wrote R3 sounds no better then a smartphone, another one - that sound is quite far from R6 level. And as it is said at screenshot above - 也不是想听 - not wanted to listen.

I took it as transport to Cozoy Takt Pro at first place, and it matches generally well, paired and controlled with no issues, sounds great too. But. Takt Pro is supposed to suck out all of R3 power just for 3 hours and i am not very pleased with such short time. Looking forward to battery will get in it's proper shape.
I was also intending to use DLNA, but it seems this feature is not completed yet. There is Wi-Fi, as declared, scanning is good, joining to Wi-Fi net is also no problem, there is even DLNA check box, i can turn it on and of and on again, but that's it.
I think it will be fixed soon, not a big issue, since the software seems to be what Hiby are really good at (unlike sound)

Also on a bright side - Bluetooth seems pretty fine (apt-X or LDAC is not available to confirm, it said "High quality" in BT section), pairing with other device goes with no issues, Hiby Link - high five!

PS Bought it at jd, own one day and half, listen from 2,5" output with Dunu Falcon C (Mee P1 is very far from R3's capability)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,287 of 6,859
I think the question was already asked but.. does anyone know if the R3 can access usb flash drives as storage instead of SD-Card?

Yes, it can and it does.
I am not sure about storage drive, since i do not have suitable one at this moment, as for playing music from flash drive it goes fine.
Please notice it is USB-C output in R3, so flash drive must also be with USB-C, otherwise connection requires additional OTG adapters (with adapters it goes also fine)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,288 of 6,859
It could be simple mistype due to pinyin input, for example 干干M3s, like a dry version of M3s.
But i am afraid we never know what does that really mean

And yes, interface is the strongest side of R3, it is very fast and very responsive, no any freeze so far.
Animation of changing volume was made in A&K style, but not that fancy though.
Appearance is good as well, perfect build quality, great touchscreen and display as well.

The weakest side is sound - inclined to warm side with poor resolution and reduced highs. Probably there could be some people who like such sound sig, unfortunately i am not one of them, it seems to me dull, flabby and boring. Someone from Chinese on jd.com wrote R3 sounds no better then a smartphone, another one - that sound is quite far from R6 level. And as it is said at screenshot above - 也不是想听 - not wanted to listen.

I took it as transport to Cozoy Takt Pro at forst place, and it matches generally well, paired and controlled with no issues, sounds great too. But. Takt Pro is supposed to suck out all of R3 power just for 3 hours and i am not very pleased with such short time. Looking forward to battery will get in it's proper shape.
I was also intending to use DLNA, but it seems this feature is not competed yet. There is Wi-Fi, as declared, scanning is good, joining to Wi-Fi net is also no problem, there is even DLNA check box, i can turn it on and of and on again, but that's it.
I think it will be fixed soon, not a big issue, since the software seems to be what Hiby are really good at (unlike sound)

Also on a bright side - Bluetooth seems pretty fine (apt-X or LDAC is not available to confirm, it said "High quality" in BT section), pairing with other device goes with no issues, Hiby Link - high five!

PS Bought it at jd, own one day and half, listen from 2,5" output with Dunu Falcon C (Mee P1 is very far from R3's capability)
Thanks for sharing 肝肝makes sense now

Oh no I have a P1 but I am getting BA earphones with low impedance/high sensitivity soon.

Good that Bluetooth works well, as if 3.5mm sound/resolution is poor I can keep it as a Bluetooth streamer - digital signal will not suffer quality loss.

Enjoy!

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,290 of 6,859
Thanks for sharing 肝肝makes sense now

Oh no I have a P1 but I am getting BA earphones with low impedance/high sensitivity soon.

Good that Bluetooth works well, as if 3.5mm sound/resolution is poor I can keep it as a Bluetooth streamer - digital signal will not suffer quality loss.

Enjoy!

According to one of those comments there is no any noise from phone output, so you probably wouldn't be worried about low impedance/high sensitivity compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back