The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #616 of 6,859
At the risk of oversimplfying, some key difference that should help are:
low output power vs good output power
hiby os vs hiby-customised android
low output impedance vs 10ohm impedance (plus impedance adaptor if you still need low OI)
resolving ability
price
size
Thanks for this. Forgot about the R6's 10ohm OI.

In other words: what is important for YOU with your next DAP purchase? I think if you list in order of importance - the answer would be obvious...
Wellllll...one thing both lack is dual mSD slots. That would have been lovely.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #617 of 6,859
People posting screenshots of their pledges is as useless as people just posting random comments for joining the contest. Neither will contribute to the general knowledge on this device.
exactly. I am sorry that i did it myself but it was at the heat of the moment. Most people commented even after that, that "I'm backer no. 'this' ", "I'm backer no. 'that' ". That was my only problem and nothing else. Well, lets not make a mountain out of this molehill and focus on the topic at hand shall we?

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #618 of 6,859
@gemmoglock - as I wrote:
FiiO had their coming M7 in CanJam this past weekend. I played with it for 5 minutes, and it was very enjoyable!
They are using a Samsung SOC and running (supposedly) Android 8.0 based OS.
Price in China 1400RMB ($220 USD). 3" (or so) display that looked nice (not as nice as R6).

So... after listening for 5 minutes in a CanJam - I cannot provide any useful impressions. Sorry.
I still think that in the current market situation, taking into account the competition (especially HiBy R3 and Sony A45) - the FiiO M7 is over-priced at $220.
I wonder if FiiO is losing their spot at the market of the "value king"... Don't get me wrong - I own several FiiO devices, and think they're great for their price, but the M7 (and arguably the Q5) are over-priced for FiiO branded devices.

Just my 2 cents.
Same here. My first amp was fiio's own q1. It had a really good price to performance ratio. Now after a year, I feel like fiio has lost their old touch. I mean which company puts a ingenics jz4760b inside a mid-fi dap like the x3-iii? Even their own fiio m3 is faster than that let alone other mid-fi daps at their price range. In fact, the day i got the fiio x3-iii at my doorsteps, I literally used it once, saw its speed, compared it to my cayin n3 and sent it back to amazon the next day. I mean, it took 6-7 minutes to scan all of my flac files (800 of them) whereas it takes less than 1 minute on my cayin n3. Oh well, empire falls every now and then.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #619 of 6,859
R3 looks like it will be a great DAP, but I'm still on the fence because of the battery/playback time. Is the quoted spec likely to be a true to 'real world' or more a best case scenario with sensitive IEMs/earbuds? Did the R6 live up to its' spec re playback time?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #620 of 6,859
R3 looks like it will be a great DAP, but I'm still on the fence because the battery/playback time. Is the quoted spec likely to be a true to 'real world' or more a best case scenario with sensitive IEMs/earbuds? Did the R6 live up to its' spec re playback time?
You can read the reviews and see for yourself. As of now, really nobody has tested the r3 for themselves except for the reviewers. But the r6 is a tried and tested dap and i myself have tested it using my lz a4 and borrowing a kaiser encore from one of my friends and I can tell you that its damn good! Also the guy i borrowed the r6 from (I don't own it myself or otherwise I wouldn't have backed the r3, lol!) said that continuous playback through balanced output, he made the dap last for a full day (although he said that he had to use a power saver of some kind). So yeah, if r6 is that good, I think r3 might be even better than its bigger brother.
You can read the reviews of headfonics and headfonia by clicking on the links below:
https://headfonics.com/2018/03/hiby-music-r3-review/
https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-audio-r3/

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #621 of 6,859
wrong post, ignore it

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #622 of 6,859
Same here. My first amp was fiio's own q1. It had a really good price to performance ratio. Now after a year, I feel like fiio has lost their old touch. I mean which company puts a ingenics jz4760b inside a mid-fi dap like the x3-iii? Even their own fiio m3 is faster than that let alone other mid-fi daps at their price range. In fact, the day i got the fiio x3-iii at my doorsteps, I literally used it once, saw its speed, compared it to my cayin n3 and sent it back to amazon the next day. I mean, it took 6-7 minutes to scan all of my flac files (800 of them) whereas it takes less than 1 minute on my cayin n3. Oh well, empire falls every now and then.

I think it is more like Fiio has KEPT their old touch... in spite many years of experience of making good value gear, including now several generations of DAPs they STILL launch them with obvious UI/OS bugs that usually get patched but should not have been missed in their own testing. Not a good idea especially these days when a product can be completely burried by the instantaneous reaction.

(though I give X3iii a some exemption since they are switching to a new OS in this generation (ironically from HibyOS on x3ii :p ).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #624 of 6,859
I think it is more like Fiio has KEPT their old touch... in spite many years of experience of making good value gear, including now several generations of DAPs they STILL launch them with obvious UI/OS bugs that usually get patched but should not have been missed in their own testing- though I give X3iii a little pass since they are switching to a new OS in this generation (ironically from HibyOS on x3ii :p ).
that is really true:beyersmile::beyersmile:. You are right, fiio has been using that proc since their x3 1st gen i think. So yeah, they kept their old tradition. But by their old touch, I had meant their to performance ratio, but I guess you had got that already:wink::wink:

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #625 of 6,859
Thanks for those, it does seem as though 11 hrs might be pushing the limits. It is less than I would like, but everything else with this player looks so good.
Well you can't expect cowon plenue d-like or sony a35 like battery life from every dap you meet!

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #626 of 6,859
I am so tempted to get this. Really hope Tidal offline will be possible, that would make it perfect for me!
Not being able to listen to downloaded Tidal tracks on my phone + DAC through UAPP is a bummer and this could be a great solution.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #628 of 6,859
I am so tempted to get this. Really hope Tidal offline will be possible, that would make it perfect for me!
Not being able to listen to downloaded Tidal tracks on my phone + DAC through UAPP is a bummer and this could be a great solution.
Well good news for you, tidal offline IS possible on the hiby r3!

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #629 of 6,859
Wellllll...one thing both lack is dual mSD slots. That would have been lovely.
Agreed - that would have been lovely!
Having said that - SanDisk already introduced a 400GB microSD card. Over time, 512GB and larger cards will become available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back