The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,051 of 6,859
Thanks for this! Have a question, though - what are the dimensions of the box packaging?

I ask this because I can then estimate how likely it is that I'll have to pay import charges. Customs in my country (India) often pass over smaller packages.
The larger the package, the greater the risk of inspection and getting charged a hefty 30-40% extra. :frowning2:
Hi. it is 11.1 cm X 16.2 cm!

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,053 of 6,859
Do you know if this usb-c to coaxial cable for the next stretch goal is the one needed to plug the Hiby R3 into an ifi Micro iDSD Black Label? The coax port on my ifi looks to be a regular digital coax RCA port and not a 3.5mm plug as shown. Not sure how this 3.5mm plug will work with the ifi Micro. It looks like I need something like this Cayin cable, but read that the R3's usb-c pin out isn't compatible with this cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Cayin-CS-30TCR-Type-C-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B0722NH4SK

Any help would be much appreciated as then I could run the R3 off the Coax port on the ifi Micro and use the USB port direct to a USB charging block when it needs to be recharged.

Thanks!
You are absolutely right about the coax input on the BL. I am also looking for a solution to connect the R3 to the BL via coax and cant seem to be able to get myself to find the right cables. USB C to regular coax jack or some kind of adapter which would convert the 3.5mm coax pin to a regular coax connector. I shall let you know if i come across anything. I would request you to do the same.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,054 of 6,859
Subbed. Sigh. The small footprint and technology suckered me in. Didn't care too much about what's said.

Hoping this will provide textures wrapped in analogue sounding goodness...

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,055 of 6,859
I unfortunately cannot answer the Bluetooth connection performance question on the R3, as they haven't shipped yet. Only a few people have received the R3 for early reviews and I am not one of them.

Here are the 2 reviews from Headfonics and Headfonia (You might want to send these two reviewers your question, as they will have have a good idea how well it works)

https://headfonics.com/2018/03/hiby-music-r3-review/

https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-audio-r3/

Hawaiian Bad Boy on this forum would probably know as well. His full review on the R3 should be coming soon:

Here's his original preview of the R3 in case you haven't seen it:

As far as whether or not you should keep the Q5 or not all depends on how you would use it. You mentioned that you would rather not stack items. If that is the case the Hiby R3 has the advantage over the Q5 as it is in all in one DAP player vs. just a DAC/Amp combo that requires another transport device. The R3 is about as portable as it gets for a music player. The portability/form factor and amazing touchscreen is the reason a lot of people here are excited about the R3. Just look at the great pictures on this thread that Hawaiian Bad Boy has posted.

If you plan to use efficient/easy to drive IEMs and headphones with the R3 then an external Amp/DAC isn't required. The quality of the DACs between the R3 and Q5 are going to be close. Although the Q5 does have dual DAC chips vs a single chip in the R3. However, both use high quality DAC implementations so I think you'll be pleased with the sound quality of both. The amp stage isn't going to be as powerful or flexible on the R3 as it is on the Q5, but it sounds like that isn't a main issue for you if you mainly are going to be driving the Pinnacle P1s with it. Are you planning on getting a balanced MMCX cable with a 2.5mm trrs jack for your P1s to use with the balanced port on the R3? I would recommend one as this would give you the most power out of the R3 to power them as they are 50ohms impedance. By no means inefficient but they will benefit from having some power on tap to crank them up!:L3000:There are a lot of aftermarket balanced MMCX cables terminated with a 2.5mm trrs jack that you can find on ebay, AliExpress, and Amazon.

Given the reception of their original R6 product I would expect the R3 to be top notch as well. Having their R6 model raise over $368k on Indigogo and now their R3 product at almost $280k doesn't just happen by accident. Hiby really listens to their customers and tries to make the best product they can. They also do a great job updating their firmware and adding new features to their DAP players after they are sold. I would expect Hiby's Bluetooth functionality to be flawless. It looks like Hiby is possibly working on getting Sony's LDAC wireless technology certified on the R3, but they are not able to currently discuss/guarantee this feature at this time. However, having LDAC support would make it a top notch Bluetooth streaming device, as many people regard this as the superior streaming codec for bluetooth. As I mentioned earlier there are a few reviewers on this forum that could answer your question on the current quality of the Bluetooth streaming on the R3.

You also mention that you use Spotify. If Hiby is able to get certified by Spotify and create a Spotify app similar to what they are doing with Tidal then that would be the icing on the cake for you. Even if the built in Spotify app doesn't happen it still gives you ability to use Bluetooth to stream songs from Spotify directly from your smartphone to the R3.

For $189, this device is a non-brainer for music enthusiasts. You will have to add the cost of a microSD card if you don't have one, but that's a requirement for almost every DAP player on the market. Even if you still have to buy a MicroSD card it's still a great value. I call it the little Swiss Army knife of DAPs.:darthsmile:

Good luck in your decision.

Well, what can I say ? Thank you very much for taking the time to write your detailed opinion ! :)
I might take the leap and back the project....

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,056 of 6,859
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like it just might evade customs. :)
I am in the same boat as you. I ordered a Dignis case from Korea and i got slapped with a 46% customs duty by our ever so vigilant Indian customs. :astonished:

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,057 of 6,859
Well, what can I say ? Thank you very much for taking the time to write your detailed opinion ! :)
I might take the leap and back the project....

This v.s. the Q5 is basically:

• stack v.s no stack
  • All streaming platforms (phone) v.s. TIDAL + promises

You folks are knee capped because only a few folks have this and none of us paid for it. If I were you I would not believe any of us. That's me. I am on the other side right now but I wouldn't believe anything beyond what i see if i were in your shoes.

If you are like me and listen mostly to flad/DSD or files on an SD card...I say buy.
If you are all about streaming then I got nothing to say really. TIDAL? I ain't paying for that ..Jay-Z got enough money. That ain't ever gonna happen in my life but I used another persons account for testing and it works fine.
If LDAC comes though that will be so epic...not sure how much Hiby realizes how huge that is? Spotify doesn't need my CC so I dig it and use it on all devices that can do it. They need to get that. Spotify and LDAC make this a true all in one streaming source IMO.

Joe is in Japan and so are some other review folks who like free stuff so I expect more opinions for ya'll. For $200 it is a thing I would buy for exercising which is why this thing needs that arm band in the original promo vid. Shoulda been the first stretch goal IMO

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,059 of 6,859

• stack v.s no stack
You folks are knee capped because only a few folks have this and none of us paid for it. If I were you I would not believe any of us. That's me. I am on the other side right now but I wouldn't believe anything beyond what i see if i were in your shoes.

If you are like me and listen mostly to flad/DSD or files on an SD card...I say buy.
If you are all about streaming then I got nothing to say really. TIDAL? I ain't paying for that ..Jay-Z got enough money. That ain't ever gonna happen in my life but I used another persons account for testing and it works fine.
If LDAC comes though that will be so epic...not sure how much Hiby realizes how huge that is? Spotify doesn't need my CC so I dig it and use it on all devices that can do it. They need to get that. Spotify and LDAC make this a true all in one streaming source IMO.

Joe is in Japan and so are some other review folks who like free stuff so I expect more opinions for ya'll. For $200 it is a thing I would buy for exercising which is why this thing needs that arm band in the original promo vid. Shoulda been the first stretch goal IMO

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Well considering the Hiby R3 works as a BT receiver through aptx (smartphone's app to hiby), it's basically doing the same thing as the FiiO Q5 + Tidal and potentially other stuff later ...

What about the sound quality ? AK4490 vs ES9028 ...

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,060 of 6,859
Hi!

Already pledged, but I'm thinking of adding the leather case as an add-on. I haven't been able to spot, neither in the campaign nor in this thread, any actual high quality image of the leather case, just the low quality image here, which even might look like a mockup or something:

Captura_de_pantalla_2018-04-20_a_las_17.39.51.png

Has any real image of the leather case been featured? Sorry if I skipped any page of the thread!

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,061 of 6,859

• stack v.s no stack

Its the ldac that made me go for this one. Just a little worried about it being now a firmware upgrade. In my experience its hit and miss with future upgrade promises. Looks like the little shanling one is already certified?
I dont care about streaming, I used to have wimp\tidal free with my cable tv but never used it.

My main concern is how it works with Bluetooth and that BT controls works after the screen has been off for a while.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,062 of 6,859

• stack v.s no stack

Exactly, armband should have been one of the stretch goals as it’s strength is portability, not the ability to stack with more gear.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,063 of 6,859
You are absolutely right about the coax input on the BL. I am also looking for a solution to connect the R3 to the BL via coax and cant seem to be able to get myself to find the right cables. USB C to regular coax jack or some kind of adapter which would convert the 3.5mm coax pin to a regular coax connector. I shall let you know if i come across anything. I would request you to do the same.
I got a couple of USB 3.0 to Type C for my XDSD and soon to be Hiby R3. I got theses cables off of EBay for 8 bucks.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,065 of 6,859
I got a couple of USB 3.0 to Type C for my XDSD and soon to be Hiby R3. I got theses cables off of EBay for 8 bucks.
For coax out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back