The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #6,543 of 6,859
Very close to order the new 2022 version, just unsure if I wanna step up and get an android device. Can always send it over with Bluetooth from the mobile if I don't have something I wanna listen too. Does Hiby usually have sales during autumn or blackfriday?

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #6,544 of 6,859
Wondering how the 2022 version stacks with Shanling M3X.. just sucks that this has a 2.5mm balanced rather than 4.4mm.
you could wait for December for the Shanling M1s. It is also a non-Android M-Touch device. It will have a 4.4mm, and will use the more advanced Ingenic X2000 CPU rather than the X1000E that the Hiby uses. Plus it will have better DAC with the ESS ES9038Q2M. Shanling hasn't announced the price or battery life yet.

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #6,545 of 6,859
you could wait for December for the Shanling M1s. It is also a non-Android M-Touch device. It will have a 4.4mm, and will use the more advanced Ingenic X2000 CPU rather than the X1000E that the Hiby uses. Plus it will have better DAC with the ESS ES9038Q2M. Shanling hasn't announced the price or battery life yet.
Can't seem to find a comparison with these ESS chips, is the ES9038Q2M chip better than having dual ES9219 chips? (and by extension, the M3X's Dual ES9219C chips as well?)

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #6,546 of 6,859
I'd go for the new R3 if I didn't just get the original Saber. It's either that or maybe try the M1s for balanced with IEMs. M3X is kinda overkill I think. Or try Hidizs.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #6,547 of 6,859
Here's a weird problem for our shared experiences. My R3 Pro is now stuck such that I can only use the balanced 2.5mm port for listening. I've tried to connect multiple 3.5mm cables, but the port never switches to single-ended, remaining stuck on balanced.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #6,548 of 6,859
Here's a weird problem for our shared experiences. My R3 Pro is now stuck such that I can only use the balanced 2.5mm port for listening. I've tried to connect multiple 3.5mm cables, but the port never switches to single-ended, remaining stuck on balanced.
One way this can happen if the 2.5mm jack gets "stuck/shorted" so that the DAP thinks there is a Jack in it. It could be dirty, or just stuck. With the unit off, try cleaning the 2.5mm Female jack on the R3 with some 90% Isopropyl Alcohol on a piece of "Pipe Cleaner". (or just try inserting and removing a 2.5mm jack several times.) Let it dry out, and see if the 3.5mm now works.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #6,549 of 6,859
One way this can happen if the 2.5mm jack gets "stuck/shorted" so that the DAP thinks there is a Jack in it. It could be dirty, or just stuck. With the unit off, try cleaning the 2.5mm Female jack on the R3 with some 90% Isopropyl Alcohol on a piece of "Pipe Cleaner". (or just try inserting and removing a 2.5mm jack several times.) Let it dry out, and see if the 3.5mm now works.
Thanks, I'm giving your suggestions a try

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #6,551 of 6,859
I might be putting my OG Saber up for grabs soon if anyone’s interested. Haven’t had any issues, but I don’t stream or use Bluetooth so no comment on how it fairs with those. Great device, but it doesn’t really wow me.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,552 of 6,859
Hi guys. Merry Christmas…
I’m thinking on getting the Pro or the Pro Saber. I want to use the HibyR3 only as a transport to my external Schiit DAC. If I do this, will the volume be controlled by the R3 or by the amp that is connected to the external Schiit DAC?

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #6,553 of 6,859
Hi guys. Merry Christmas…
I’m thinking on getting the Pro or the Pro Saber. I want to use the HibyR3 only as a transport to my external Schiit DAC. If I do this, will the volume be controlled by the R3 or by the amp that is connected to the external Schiit DAC?
It will be controlled by the external DAC.

Dec 27, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #6,554 of 6,859
What USB-C to Micro USB could you recommend for connecting it to my Schiit Modi3+ DAC? I’ve read somewhere that an OGT cable is better for something like this, or at least has worked for some folks (although I think on those cases they were using android phones) . Whats the difference?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #6,555 of 6,859
What USB-C to Micro USB could you recommend for connecting it to my Schiit Modi3+ DAC? I’ve read somewhere that an OGT cable is better for something like this, or at least has worked for some folks (although I think on those cases they were using android phones) . Whats the difference?
ANY USB Type C cable to Micro USB should work. (As long the cable is not "charging only"; Or missing data connections.) Just make sure it has DATA and Charge connections.
(Actually don't need the charge connections with a powered DAC, but for a "dongle" or unpowered USB DAC the phone provides the power for the DAC to operate.)

The Older Micro USB connector on the phones needed a special cable to make the phone act as the host. (The OTG "On The GO" Cable moved a ground cable to a diffecent connector point)

The USB-C cables will work, as long as the phone has OTG function, and that function is turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back