The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,806 of 6,859
Hey guys this is a short video i did for a the R3 ..so far its a good player this is just a little overview ..i am not a pro with this video thing so i hope it is ok

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #2,813 of 6,859
Congrats! Enjoy it!
What are you using besides the R3 to drive your headphones (especially the NightHawks?)
How does the R3 compare?
I’ve had a Pioneer XDP-100R since late 2016, it’s my daily driver. I have the audioquest dragonfly red for my iPhone X and Pixel 2.
R3 seems to be much better than the Pioneer

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2,814 of 6,859
20180626_141022.jpg

First Impressions

R3
Had mine delivered on Sunday. Listened for a full day and now burning in the Seeds and to also check the power cycle. Sound aside (it sounds good), I loaded it up with 400gb worth of files (AAC, FLAC, APE, MP3) and it took some time to index everything. There is a noticeable delay when scrolling though files. Album art only appears once the scrolling input is completed. Really loving the form-factor and button usability is on point after some customizing. Haven't tried DLNA, Tidal or Bluetooth yet. Running the latest firmware as of today. Interested in how it will pair in a stack as the headphone outputs are good for portable but lack a bit of control for my harder to drive headphones (HD580s so far, HE4XX later).

Seeds
Speaking of portable, these are quite the gem. Got them for free from the Singapore CanJam promotion (Thank you kindly, @Joe Bloggs). Construction is good and the units are very nice to the touch. They remind me of a pebble that's been worn sleek by the gentle ebb and flow of a river over centuries. They are satin-touch finished metal (aluminum? Magnesium? Alloy?) and clack together whenever I handle them. Cable is nicely braided but are thin and prone to tangles. Terminated in 2.5mm TRRS tho so that's nice considering the Ω rating of the graphene drivers. It pairs with the R3 perfectly for a compact, run-and-gun system. Sound-wise: they sound good and isolate well for me with the included selection of tips. Curious how Hiby will handle this driver in higher-end designs. If this had replaceable cables and priced to match the iBasso IT01, I would shortlist both for auditioning before deciding which to buy.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,815 of 6,859

First Impressions

R3
Had mine delivered on Sunday. Listened for a full day and now burning in the Seeds and to also check the power cycle. Sound aside (it sounds good), I spent some time loading it up with 400gb worth of files (AAC, FLAC, APE, MP3) and it took some time to index all the files. There is a noticeable delay when scrolling though files. Album art only appears once the scrolling input is completed. Really loving the form-factor and button usability is on point after some customizing. Haven't tried DLNA, Tidal or Bluetooth yet. Running the latest firmware as of today. Interested in how it will pair in a stack as the headphone outputs are good for portable but lack a bit of control for my harder to drive headphones (HD580s so far, HE4XX later).

Seeds
Speaking of portable, these are quite the gem. Got them for free from the Singapore CanJam promotion (Thank you kindly, @Joe Bloggs). Construction is good and the units are very nice to the touch. They like a pebble that's been worn sleek by the gentle ebb and flow of a river over centuries. They are satin-touch finished metal (aluminum? Magnesium? Alloy?) and clack together whenever I handle them. Cable is nicely braided but are thin and prone to tangles. Terminated in 2.5mm TRRS tho so that's nice considering the Ω rating of the graphene drivers. It pairs with the R3 perfectly for compact, run-and-gun system. Sound-wise: they sound good and isolate well for me with the included selection of tips. Curious how Hiby will handle this driver in higher-end designs. If this had replaceable cables and priced to match the iBasso IT01, I would shortlist both for auditioning before deciding which to buy.

same here it needs a bit more power check out my intial impression video ...the equalizer is not great but the MSEB thing is promising i like it

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,816 of 6,859
I'm backer #1522 and haven't received shipping info for my grey r3. Could you check my tracking number? I'm in NC, USA if it helps.
I’m in a similar situation. Grey, USA, high backer number. Please let me know if you hear anything.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,817 of 6,859
Got mine yesterday, 1 day early from estimated DHL delivery. Used several HPs (Audioquest nighthawk liquid wood version, HD600, and 1more triple drivers). I ordered a 2.5mm balanced cable from amazon to use with the nighthawks and 1more. So far I’m liking the sound, quite surprised that it drives my HD600 well enough at 80s volume level. Used it in the gym today paired with Sony MUC-M2BT1 and Campfire audio comets (has snugs custom ear tips salvaged from my other IEMs). Can’t wait for the promised LDAC so my MUCs can connect with better quality Bluetooth.
4B475C22-6BCE-451B-9E3B-BCE73CC78F25_zpsaak9uugf.jpeg
4530E148-7DB2-4233-A063-BD11D4C5A954_zps51fr8je1.jpeg

ddbd3a77-6a84-452a-94a9-52a5cbf2a6bd
I also have the 1more triple driver, which I like more than I thought I would. What cable are you using for balanced?

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,818 of 6,859
I also have the 1more triple driver, which I like more than I thought I would. What cable are you using for balanced?
I got a generic one from Amazon, from a company called future win. I haven’t got the funds for expensive balanced cables at the moment, maybe in the future I’ll buy good aftermarket cables.

My only gripe about the 1more triple drivers is that it isn’t a proper over ear. After about 2 hours my ears start to feel the pressure and I have to take it off for a while. Other than that, I do like it a lot.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,819 of 6,859
I’m in a similar situation. Grey, USA, high backer number. Please let me know if you hear anything.

I received the shipping email this morning after asking. It says it shipped today. Makes me wonder if it shipped only because I asked about it.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #2,820 of 6,859
I received the shipping email this morning after asking. It says it shipped today. Makes me wonder if it shipped only because I asked about it.
I had the same situation last week. I sent HiBy and email and 2 days later I got my shipping notification, but it took a few more days before the item actually started moving. I’m guessing the shipping proxy they are using takes a while to get the paperworks and custom clearance before they actually forward the packages to DHL; which is frustrating for some people because they expect their R3s to arrive shortly after the shipping notification gets sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back