The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,703 of 6,859
From the kickstarter feed

5. For those backers who find out ""Returned to shipper" informtion for their tracking numbers. We highly appreciate your support and patience. As we mentioned in the previous public reply, we used a shipping agency help to ship all the orders. Once we sent all the products to the shipping agency, they helped to create the DHL label (Tracking number) for each order. And once they finished all the labels, they sent the products to DHL's Hong Kong office. But the shipping agency made a wrong shipping battery sticker for a few orders so that DHL had to return those shipments to them. They are now fixing the issue, and will provide the new tracking # to you soon. We genuinely apologize for bringing you the inconvenience.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,705 of 6,859
From the kickstarter feed

5. For those backers who find out ""Returned to shipper" informtion for their tracking numbers. We highly appreciate your support and patience. As we mentioned in the previous public reply, we used a shipping agency help to ship all the orders. Once we sent all the products to the shipping agency, they helped to create the DHL label (Tracking number) for each order. And once they finished all the labels, they sent the products to DHL's Hong Kong office. But the shipping agency made a wrong shipping battery sticker for a few orders so that DHL had to return those shipments to them. They are now fixing the issue, and will provide the new tracking # to you soon. We genuinely apologize for bringing you the inconvenience.

Yes but I already paid for customs clearance. If they ship again with a new number, I'll probably pay a 2nd time.
Their shipping agency is a fiasco.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #2,706 of 6,859
Regarding sound I find the R3 to sound clearer than my ZX300 SE out and my restored ak70 ( was out of commission for a while ) it also has a touch more forward sound, which I don’t mind at all. I’m running them all on high gain. Keep in mind I’ve only used meize 99 classics, akt8ie, and sound magic ie 80- three phones that don’t bother my ears.

But also 3 phones that are easy to drive. I don’t think the ESS is a bad dac at all, in fact I don’t think any modern dac is bad. It has more to do with implementation and the amp circuit. For instance the mojo has an obscene amount of power compared to most daps and will definitely drive full size cans better. Power wise the R3 is ahead of the ZX300 SE out and behind the ak70 and the balanced ZX300. So it doesn’t have a very robust amp section. However for stuff that is realitively easy to drive it should be fine.

Also it runs very cool like the ZX300 which I like- lots of daps get very warm and the mojo well you can practically fry an egg on it ha ha. My only complaint on the sound is the stage seems like it could be a touch wider and the treble seems a bit hot causing cymbals to sound splashy and a touch unrealistic. I have remedied this with magic 8 ball, but my ZX300 sounded similar out of the box and after 50 hours it started to open up and smooth out. So hopefully R3 will do the same.

Can’t wait to hear more impressions as you guys finally get yours. As it stands I think this is the best ‘small’ dap you can get right now. Still I’m a little worried though on how silent hiby is on LDAC support. I can live without it but I still think it’s the best sounding Bluetooth solution so far.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,709 of 6,859
Regarding sound I find the R3 to sound clearer than my ZX300 SE out and my restored ak70 ( was out of commission for a while ) it also has a touch more forward sound, which I don’t mind at all. I’m running them all on high gain. Keep in mind I’ve only used meize 99 classics, akt8ie, and sound magic ie 80- three phones that don’t bother my ears.

But also 3 phones that are easy to drive. I don’t think the ESS is a bad dac at all, in fact I don’t think any modern dac is bad. It has more to do with implementation and the amp circuit. For instance the mojo has an obscene amount of power compared to most daps and will definitely drive full size cans better. Power wise the R3 is ahead of the ZX300 SE out and behind the ak70 and the balanced ZX300. So it doesn’t have a very robust amp section. However for stuff that is realitively easy to drive it should be fine.

Also it runs very cool like the ZX300 which I like- lots of daps get very warm and the mojo well you can practically fry an egg on it ha ha. My only complaint on the sound is the stage seems like it could be a touch wider and the treble seems a bit hot causing cymbals to sound splashy and a touch unrealistic. I have remedied this with magic 8 ball, but my ZX300 sounded similar out of the box and after 50 hours it started to open up and smooth out. So hopefully R3 will do the same.

Can’t wait to hear more impressions as you guys finally get yours. As it stands I think this is the best ‘small’ dap you can get right now. Still I’m a little worried though on how silent hiby is on LDAC support. I can live without it but I still think it’s the best sounding Bluetooth solution so far.

I'm upto about 80 hours the sound stage has oppened up quite a bit. The treble appers not to be so harsh, at first it was a bit bright. I've resisted the temptation to EQ so far. I agree for on the go with easy to drive IEM's its one of the best small daps out there. Swithching to X7ii points out some shortcomings but cosidering the price difference its 90% so fo size, cool running, battery longevity, usable UI, it's a good buy for on the go listening. :ksc75smile: So for all those waiting it will be worth the wait.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #2,710 of 6,859
I'm upto about 80 hours the sound stage has oppened up quite a bit. The treble appers not to be so harsh, at first it was a bit bright. I've resisted the temptation to EQ so far. I agree for on the go with easy to drive IEM's its one of the best small daps out there. Swithching to X7ii points out some shortcomings but cosidering the price difference its 90% so fo size, cool running, battery longevity, usable UI, it's a good buy for on the go listening. :ksc75smile: So for all those waiting it will be worth the wait.
How do you find it compared to your XDP-30R? I don't have my DPS1 any more but I think the DPS1 is more neutral, detailed and laid back than the R3, which is more forward and dynamic.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,712 of 6,859

Good to know because if it opens up a bit and the treble tones down and gets a bit more refined this will be almost exactly to my preferred sound sig.

I wish it had a counter that kept track of the hours you’ve listened to each output like the Sony ZX 300. I estimate I have maybe 25 to 30 hours on it so far. I’m not sure because I haven’t done a battery test yet. I’ve charged it twice and it was almost full charge when it arrived- so I’m guessing 8x3 = 24 but I suspect I’m getting a bit more than 8 hours per charge.

I will have to test the run time.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,713 of 6,859
How do you find it compared to your XDP-30R? I don't have my DPS1 any more but I think the DPS1 is more neutral, detailed and laid back than the R3, which is more forward and dynamic.

I think I like it better than the sound XDP-30R. But I do like the UI on the XDP-30R its oh so simple for on the go use. The 400mb card moves easily between the two so its easy to compare I think the XDP-30R is perhaps only a lttle more datailed and a tad less bright but perhaps not as wide a sound stage. I can happily live with both perhaps classical on the XDP-30R and rock on the R3.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,715 of 6,859
So if I want to buy a hiby r3, what is my best choice? Getting one from taobao or waiting for it to release in the US? Does anyone know when it will release in the US?

If you're in the US wait as the Chinese ones run different software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back