The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #17,716 of 28,989

I see. I'll baby them from now on 
tongue.gif

But honestly, I know a shop owner who's HD800 has probably been handled more than any of us here, for more than five years. It's been dropped and dragged and has tons of scratches and chips on it. These things are amazing. Not one alteration in the sound quality.

That can only happen if you break the steel mesh. Just don't touch the mesh at all lol ...

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #17,717 of 28,989
I have a few scratches on my Sennheiser HD800. These have a worse build quality than my Shure SRH 1840?

I doesn't affect the sound so it's no problem. But it probably will reduce the re-sale value.

It's a well known issue. My first HD800 had few paint chips and scratches.
You can always send it to Colorware to have it painted with new coat of paints of your choice :p

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #17,719 of 28,989
  Got to listen to my HD800s after a brief hiatus due to classes (and other things)...

Oh my god. These make my SE846s sound like $10 earbuds. o.o

woah.  I missed this post.
I will give you $20 for your SE846

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #17,720 of 28,989

The paint is known to scratch and chip for 6 years now. They must be treated nicely :)

The Colorware custom colorization, done with automobile-quality paint, is said to be more resistant to chips and scratches than the original finish.  I have both Sennheiser amp and headphones from Colorware and there have been no scratches or chips, but they are only 9 months old.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #17,721 of 28,989
Anyone know if Sennheiser warranties are transferable as long as the headphones were originally purchased from an authorized dealer? I want to buy a second-hand set from someone who just purchased it a few months ago, so it should still have ~1.5 years left of warranty.

If so, what does Sennheiser require for them to fulfill the warranty? I'm guessing just the original sales receipt?

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #17,722 of 28,989
Can anybody tell me if the stock HD800 has 4 wires to the jack or 3 would like to make a balanced cable with XLR connector if possible it should have 4 .Thanks

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #17,723 of 28,989
  Anyone know if Sennheiser warranties are transferable as long as the headphones were originally purchased from an authorized dealer? I want to buy a second-hand set from someone who just purchased it a few months ago, so it should still have ~1.5 years left of warranty.

If so, what does Sennheiser require for them to fulfill the warranty? I'm guessing just the original sales receipt?

Have you tried registering on their site?  I got mine (new-ish) second-hand and I got an email confirmation that my warranty was in effect for the next 2 years.  As part of the registration I put that I had gotten them used; it didn't seem to matter since the unit wasn't already registered.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #17,724 of 28,989
Yes it does,I think I found it in a thread on here sorry can't remember which one,might have been in a general HD800 one or a specific one about modifying one for balanced operation,got a feeling it was the latter but can't be sure.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #17,726 of 28,989
  Can anybody tell me if the stock HD800 has 4 wires to the jack or 3 would like to make a balanced cable with XLR connector if possible it should have 4 .Thanks

+3 I had my HD800 stock cable converted to an 4 pin xlr connector.  

I bought a Neutrik  xlr 4 pin male connector & a Neutrik xlr female connector for the stock cable 1/4 single end connector & create an adaptor.  I had it done by an electrician friend of mine.  It works superbly.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #17,727 of 28,989
It's a well known issue. My first HD800 had few paint chips and scratches.
You can always send it to Colorware to have it painted with new coat of paints of your choice
tongue.gif

Yeah, with the choice of paint with a rather fragile body, I hope that their next flagship has a better overall build quality (and perhaps just uses aluminum, wood or something else for the outer earcups).

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #17,728 of 28,989

Yeah, with the choice of paint with a rather fragile body, I hope that their next flagship has a better overall build quality (and perhaps just uses aluminum, wood or something else for the outer earcups).

The choice of the the Leona plastic, which is a 60% glass fiber filled, high stiffness specialized plastic, for the HD800 was not made lightly. It was selected purposely to avoid resonance (although the metal mesh reintroduced it lol), and to make it as lightweight as it can get. I'm sure as a previous owner, you'd agree it is perhaps one of the most comfortable headphones ever made, and one can wear it for many hours without any muscular fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back