The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #17,701 of 28,992
Quote:Mach3
 All my cousin thinks I'm part of the cool kid now.

If you really wanna be cool, sit on a block of ice.........  
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #17,703 of 28,992
  Someone should see if Sennheiser has as sense of humor !

Put this picture on a T-shirt , put the shirt on & then text them a picture of you giving the "Thumbs Up" sign !

Isn't there something in the American Constitution forbidding 'cruel and unusual punishment'?

This might qualify.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #17,704 of 28,992

Someone should see if Sennheiser has as sense of humor !

Put this picture on a T-shirt , put the shirt on & then text them a picture of you giving the "Thumbs Up" sign !

Isn't there something in the American Constitution forbidding 'cruel and unusual punishment'?

This might qualify.

Are you implying this would be "Politically Incorrect" ? (We wouldn't want to stir up anymore "International bad feeling" then we
already have; though you could say you're from France & they'd be none the wiser
devil_face.gif
)

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #17,705 of 28,992
Did you notice that the symbol that looks like the Beats lower case "b" is actually a lower-case "a?" That is to signify that these headphones are a-level quality, not b-level (and that at "a," we are one step ahead of those "b's" at Beats).

You can read more about how this symbol and the headphone medallion came to be in one of my first posts, "How I Plan To Fund My Headphone Addiction," here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704339/how-i-plan-to-fund-my-new-headphone-addiction#post_10243434

In short, my venture seeks to bridge the fundamental gap of headphones... headphone that sound great vs. headphones that look great. It introduces a very expensive medallion that can be stuck on each earpiece of yourr very-best-sounding headphones, regardles of headphone model, making them attractive like Beats, while still sounding great.

And in selling these medallions, I can fund my 36-headphone habit! :p

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #17,706 of 28,992
  Are you implying this would be "Politically Incorrect" ? (We wouldn't want to stir up anymore "International bad feeling" then we
already have; though you could say you're from France & they'd be none the wiser
devil_face.gif
)

I'm implying that it might cause some "probably very serious about their products" Sennheisser people to choke on their bratwurst
wink_face.gif

Kinda like putting a Ted Bundy endorsement on a Twinkie - not really a good fit.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #17,707 of 28,992

devil_face.gif
)

I'm implying that it might cause some "probably very serious about their products" Sennheisser people to choke on their bratwurst
wink_face.gif

Kinda like putting a Ted Bundy endorsement on a Twinkie - not really a good fit.

Actually, if you think about it the Bundy endorsement of Twinkies is a natural fit; They're both "Killers" that no one recognizes until it's
too late !!!

The Sennheiser people will just have to learn how to eat "Liverwurst" (If you can't have a "chuckle" about things every so often, maybe
it's time to try something else; If they're smart enough to make a high quality product, they should be smart enough to see a "joke"
for what it is)

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #17,708 of 28,992
About 2 years ago I became interested in the sonic problems of the metal headband with the Stax SR007 and came up with a damping system which imrpoved the sound quite a lot. The other day it was pointed out to me that Sennheiser appears to be doing the same thing with the HD800.

Here I quote from their advertisement : "Metal headband with inner-damping element" http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800. It even says "minimal resonance."

This you tube video shows the headband in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlA84jbTkxk

This one talks about "the worlds most advanced sound dampening frame:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttLgOWgk7PU This is very much in line with what I am doing with Stax phones except that now I am more concerned with damping the earcups.

Has anyone looked into the construction of the band? In one of the videos I swear I see something like sorbothane pads under the band when it is opened up. Apparently Sennheiser refers to "visco-elastic treatment"

My search of this thread didn't turn aup any discussions of this topic. Anyone here looked into it?

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #17,713 of 28,992
I have a few scratches on my Sennheiser HD800. These have a worse build quality than my Shure SRH 1840?

I doesn't affect the sound so it's no problem. But it probably will reduce the re-sale value.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #17,715 of 28,992

The paint is known to scratch and chip for 6 years now. They must be treated nicely :)

I see. I'll baby them from now on 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back