The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #17,731 of 28,992
Waiting for Fedex to deliver my Valhalla 2. Should be here soon, hopefully. Fedex always delivers later than everyone else.

I'll update with impressions with the HD800 later, I'm currently using my M-Stage to power my HD800's.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #17,732 of 28,992
Waiting for Fedex to deliver my Valhalla 2. Should be here soon, hopefully. Fedex always delivers later than everyone else.

I'll update with impressions with the HD800 later, I'm currently using my M-Stage to power my HD800's.

That's really exciting. I hear great things about that schiit Valhalla 2. Enjoy. I'm sure it will be everything you hoped for. Quality amp.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #17,733 of 28,992
Well, it arrived a few minutes after making that post, and I've been listening ever since. :)

Build quality is a lot better than I expected. It's heavy, uses thick and well finished metal, all the switches are high quality, and the volume knob has a nice high quality weighty feel to it. Also, Schiit wasn't kidding when they said this amp runs hot. Holy crap!

I'll keep sound impressions broad for now, since I haven't had much time with this amp. All impressions are at high gain unless noted. The M-Stage is not the new HPA-2 version, it's the 2010 or 2011 version. My DAC is currently an ODAC hooked up to a USB PCI-E card to minimize noise and distortion issues I had with normal USB ports.

The M-Stage is darker, but the Valhalla 2 is warmer, meaning that deep bass and upper highs have increased compared to the M-Stage. I currently have an EQ (Equalizer APO) applied system-wide tuned for the HD800's. I will probably reduce the bass by a db or two and reduce the upper treble by a db on the EQ. I can imagine without an EQ, the Valhalla 2 would give more satisfying levels of bass than the M-Stage.

The less dark nature of the Valhalla 2 means that they're more fatiguing than they used to be (admittedly, I am also listening to music at higher volumes than usual because of the New Amp Yummy Goodness™).

Instrument separation is definitely improved with the Valhalla 2, but individual note separation (decay rate) is longer. Notes are more individual and fast sections are better with the M-Stage. (Some very minor testing with low gain on the V2 seems to help with this). I will say, however, that longer and intentional decays (upright bass especially) has more detail on the V2. Bass is less taught on the V2, but it's also stronger, so a reduction in the EQ may tighten it back up.

Valhalla 2 is more impactful.

Soundstage is larger and imaging is more defined with V2. Some would describe it as more "holographic".

V2 is much more detailed. Yes, it does have more treble, but detail is better across the frequency range, notably in the bass and midrange.

The V2 definitely sounds "tubey" to me compared to the M-Stage. I know some say it's not that tubey, but I definitely hear it. Low gain is definitely less tubey. I'm very glad I didn't go with a Crack, the Valhalla is a good amount of tubeyness, high gain is about as much tubeyness as I would want at the moment.

The V2 does not get as loud as I would have expected considering the power rating. It should be a fair bit more powerful than the M-Stage, but I find the volume pot at similar levels on the V2 (high gain) and the M-Stage (18 gain). About 11:00-1:00 in high gain depending on the music, and around 3:00 on low gain. Really quiet music like Chesky stuff can get close to 3:00 at high gain, where I can hear noise from my ODAC. Of course, as noted before I could be listening to music louder than normal because of the new amp, so take the previous with some salt.

The most notable difference between the two is that recorded music sounds quite a bit more "real" with the V2.

Low gain seems better for electronic at the moment, and high gain seems better for stuff like classical, folk, and bluegrass.

Please note that these are just first time use impressions, my impressions may change over the next few days/weeks. My brain getting used to the new amp's sound as well as whatever "burn-in" if necessary may also change my impressions.

I'm happy to finally be the proud owner of a tube amp! I've wanted a good tube amp for a long time, but the HD800's are the first high Z headphones I've owned, so I finally had the chance to get into tubes when I picked them up mid last year. This amp may also play nice with my D7000's in low gain, which may be worth trying out.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #17,735 of 28,992

Great amp for HD800! it makes a fantastic combo paired with Bifrost Uber

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #17,736 of 28,992
For Canadian members, Headphone Bar, located in Vancouver is selling the HD800 for $1,200.00 brand new, 0.1cent for s&h.  Of course there is tax.  Sorry to my American friends who may be interested, Headphone Bar only ships in Canada.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #17,737 of 28,992
Wow. That may be cheaper than Jan Meier.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #17,738 of 28,992
  For Canadian members, Headphone Bar, located in Vancouver is selling the HD800 for $1,200.00 brand new, 0.1cent for s&h.  Of course there is tax.  Sorry to my American friends who may be interested, Headphone Bar only ships in Canada.

I'm sorry about my overzealousness in wanting to help someone looking for a good deal; upon going back on the Headphone Bar site there is no "basket" icon next to the advertisement which usually means that they are out of stock.  I guess one can always contact them & asked them if they are getting more soon & if the price will remain the same.  Again, sorry about that.
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #17,740 of 28,992

Yeah except they don't seem to have any left = out of stock.  I only noticed that after I posted about it.  Feel bad now, somewhat embarrassed.

I'm sure someone will shoot them a message and see if there will be future stock. If not, there's always Meier. 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #17,741 of 28,992

Yes, you're right about that but with the CDN $ being so low even a deal in the US can be void due to the currency exchange loss + the CDN Customs & Excise taxation fee.  At times it seems like it's a crime to make money in Canada, but that's another story/topic.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #17,742 of 28,992

Yes, you're right about that but with the CDN $ being so low even a deal in the US can be void due to the currency exchange loss + the CDN Customs & Excise taxation fee.  At times it seems like it's a crime to make money in Canada, but that's another story/topic.

Actually Headphones Bar has 3 in stock, but because of the big discount, they are only selling in-store.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #17,743 of 28,992

Actually Headphones Bar has 3 in stock, but because of the big discount, they are only selling in-store.

Thanks katakana.  Well then I suppose it's still good to talk about it on this thread even though the field as shrunk from CDNs to Vancouver & area residents/Head-fi members.  So in the end it's still all good. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #17,744 of 28,992

Meier is in the EU. I recall my HD800 only costing me $1300 two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back