The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #17,746 of 28,992
I'm about to buy an amp for the HD800 (don't have them yet with me, they should arrive in two weeks or so)
I'm considering the Vali or Magni 2.
The Vali is recommended  by a lot of people here, but,  i never had a tube amp before so i'm not sure i'll like the sound.
i like neutral sound, not warm and slow.
And on the other hand the Magni 2 is also more powerful than the Vali.
What should i do? Which one would you recommend? 

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #17,747 of 28,992
@pearljam50000 - When looking for an amp for the HD800, I'd recommend a complementary amp.  What I mean by complementary is that it plays to the strengths of the HD800 without accentuating the treble and making it harsh.  The Vali is what I would deem the minimum complementary entry level amp for the HD800.  I tried the original Magni and gave it a good shot but soon sold it.  I actually hated it and couldn't get rid of it fas enough That's just me.  I have a Vali but it is seldomly used not because its not a great little amp but because I have a Naim DAC-V1 and a McIntosh MXA70 (=MHA100) which are just kick ass with the HD800.  I have no issues and quite enjoy the Vali.  Check my gallery and you'll see a $2.5K Naim paired up with the Vali just for kicks.
To make a long story short, I really like the Vali and as an entry level amp to pair with the HD800.  I duely recommend it assuming you have a relatively decent DAC. As always, YMMV.  For me, the Vali, although not used that much, is a keeper.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #17,748 of 28,992
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to buy an amp for the HD800 (don't have them yet with me, they should arrive in two weeks or so)
I'm considering the Vali or Magni 2.
The Vali is recommended  by a lot of people here, but,  i never had a tube amp before so i'm not sure i'll like the sound.
i like neutral sound, not warm and slow.
And on the other hand the Magni 2 is also more powerful than the Vali.
What should i do? Which one would you recommend? 

Tubes, ah yes tubes…

With 800's and their high impedance you have the option to use a particular tube designs to it's fullest advantage..

OTL (OutputTransfromerLess) 
What this means is the tube is directly coupled to the HP's and there is no transformer in the middle.

This has some very significant advantages.
Not the least of which is circuit simplicity.
And cost.

But the biggest is in SQ.

Here are 2 wonderful examples;
There is the Schiit Vallha 2
http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

and the Crack build-it-your-self kit from Bottlehead
http://bottlehead.com/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit-specs/

However if you don't want to head in this direction, at least keep it in mind as a future possibility
And this doesn't even touch on tube rolling… 
wink.gif

JJ

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #17,750 of 28,992
Thanks, but my budget is 150$, so i guess the Vali is my only option at this price.
Quote:
  Tubes, ah yes tubes…

With 800's and their high impedance you have the option to use a particular tube designs to it's fullest advantage..

What this means is the tube is directly coupled to the HP's and there is no transformer in the middle.

And cost.

However if you don't want to head in this direction, at least keep it in mind as a future possibility
wink.gif

JJ

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #17,754 of 28,992
  In this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800

He says the T1 has more clarity than the HD800 
confused_face_2.gif

Has anyone else compared them and thinks the same?

The T1 has a more pronounced treble response compared to the HD800, it is a more closed soundstage than the HD800. There is no issue with the clarity of an HD800 to my ears and having had both headphones at the same time for a year.
The T1 is a fine headphone which some will prefer over the HD800 on an audition, some jazz fans or acoustic music or string quartet appreciators - I'm not knocking any owners of them. My tastes over time meant the T1s got no listening time

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #17,755 of 28,992
  The T1 is mediocre by even mid-fi standards, the midrange to lower treble distortion is significantly higher than a HD600 or K701; it gets outresolved by the HD600/650 when it comes to fine background detail & ambiance and cannot reproduce instantaneous clean edges & snappy transient response to the level of the K701. The T1's bass response is barely better than the above given that it cheats with a semi-closed design. Forget about comparing it to the HD800.

The T1 is a good phone but the sound signature is not an easy one to get used to compared to the HD800. I preferred the HD800s hands down for bass response fuller sound non fatiguing you name it

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #17,756 of 28,992
  Tubes, ah yes tubes…

And cost.

wink.gif

JJ

I just ordered my HD 800s .

I have the Valhalla 2, Lyr and Vali so I guess I'm pretty well set in that department, but I'm considering the balanced outputs of the Mjolnir. I already have balanced cables for my HD 650s.

So, is anyone using a Schiit Mjolnir with their 800s??

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #17,758 of 28,992

I just ordered my HD 800s .

I have the Valhalla 2, Lyr and Vali so I guess I'm pretty well set in that department, but I'm considering the balanced outputs of the Mjolnir. I already have balanced cables for my HD 650s.

So, is anyone using a Schiit Mjolnir with their 800s??

The mojo is a great amp but was not great with the 800 for me. It works better with darker cans like the hd650, lcd2...

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #17,759 of 28,992

The mojo is a great amp but was not great with the 800 for me. It works better with darker cans like the hd650, lcd2...

What are you using now with your 800s?? The Crack?

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #17,760 of 28,992
The Crack is excellent but the Valhalla 2 is powering the 800 right...BUT, the ifi stack of power has finally brought the warmth and sweetness to the 800 for me. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back