The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #17,777 of 28,992
 Guys do we consider the Rok to be the finest amp with the hd800?

Nope. Not even close. It's got very good resolution and microdynamics but doesn't give enough bass weight to the HD800, and soundstage size isn't any bigger than an M-Stage. It also requires a really good DAC to get the most out of technicalities, you won't see much of an improvement on an average DAC other than a smoother treble response on the HD800. High end tube amps have better staging, more bass weight, especially in the midbass, and can sound just as fluid and smooth as the Ragnarok.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #17,778 of 28,992
Nope. Not even close. It's got very good resolution and microdynamics but doesn't give enough bass weight to the HD800, and soundstage size isn't any bigger than an M-Stage. It also requires a really good DAC to get the most out of technicalities, you won't see much of an improvement on an average DAC other than a smoother treble response on the HD800. High end tube amps have better staging, more bass weight, especially in the midbass, and can sound just as fluid and smooth as the Ragnarok.

That's what I felt too.
My Leben CS300X gives me all that you have described and yes I do use a Luxman da 06 for a dac.
But like everyone I was curious.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #17,779 of 28,992

Guys do we consider the Rok to be the finest amp with the hd800?

Not sure how the requirement for a good dac can be a slight against an amp. This is the HD800 we're talking about after all. At this level, and if the Ragnarok is as resolving as they say, of course a weaker dac will lower the performance ceiling. This is a good thing in my book. It means the amp itself isn't adding anything that's not in the source material. Some people like their amps to colour the presentation though. Nothing wrong with that, but it highlights the futility of attempting to rate a component with the authority of a "Nope" "Not even close" when individual preferences differ so starkly.

I know there are some who've been underwhelmed by the Ragnarok, but those who've spent some time with it and are familiar with higher end components have generally had very good things to say. Keep in mind that the Ragnarok fills other needs too (speaker amp) and not everyone is willing to spiral down the tube rolling rabbit-hole. The Ragnarok has been lauded as among the best SS amps for the H800 by ears I can calibrate my preferences against. It even gets compared to the top-tier tube amps that apparently have great synergy with the HD800. It may "not be close" by your reckoning, but it seems to be a component punching well above its weight - all things considered. Classic Schiit.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #17,781 of 28,992
Awesome chart Wink!

The Moon Neo 430HA is a great match with the HD800's. Best SS I have heard with them so far.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #17,782 of 28,992
Quote:longbowbbs
 Awesome chart Wink!

I found it in one of the posts in the SoCaql CanJam impressions thread.

The scary thing is it applies to any 10 headphone reviewed here oh Head-Fi. 
eek.gif

basshead.gif

blink.gif

confused_face.gif

ph34r.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #17,783 of 28,992
@deuter : look for people who have the HD800 as their end-game or favourite headphone for a long time.  The best amp fot the HD800 is the one that allows the HD800 to eliminate almost all competitors.  

You can do a google search with those keywords "best amps for Sennheiser HD800" and you will find interesting threads here or there too. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #17,784 of 28,992
  Quote:longbowbbs
 Awesome chart Wink!

I found it in one of the posts in the SoCaql CanJam impressions thread.

The scary thing is it applies to any 10 headphone reviewed here oh Head-Fi. 
eek.gif

basshead.gif

blink.gif

confused_face.gif

ph34r.gif

True that! A great representation of our madness....
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #17,785 of 28,992
Quote:Sorrodje
 You can do a google search with those keywords "best amps for Sennheiser HD800" and you will find interesting threads here or there too. 

and, sadly the same graph applies for any 10 amps reviewed with the HD800...

Just change the headphone names for amp names or, even DAC names...
basshead.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #17,786 of 28,992
The hd800 responds to an amp and upstream gear more dramatically than any other hp that I've ever owned or tried. The "best" amp for the 800 will be the one that makes this hp sound like you want it to. The lcd2 pre fazor was previously my favorite hp for bass response. But now, the hd800 has my favorite bass response, just by changing the amp. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #17,787 of 28,992
I just give sources that match my own experience. I don't claim it's the truth. Their no truth apart of  what time teach us that's why I said : 

@deuter : look for people who have the HD800 as their end-game or favourite headphone for a long time.  The best amp fot the HD800 is the one that allows the HD800 to eliminate almost all competitors.  

Much much blathering based on unsignificant experience in every threads. Much less people who lives with a headphone during a long time. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #17,789 of 28,992
  I've had mine for years......

That's significant experience. So Maybe you can enlight us with some of this experience instead of sneering ? 
wink.gif

Experienced people are partly responsible if they let blathering invades forums. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #17,790 of 28,992
I do not sneer, and I cannot be held responsible for all the blathering that goes on here as I have no control over it.

I try to educate with facts, huomr and some well pointed sarcasm.

I cannot stop some newbie who has just moved from iBuds to a Koss KC35 or Grado SR60 from thinking they have found the holy grail of headphones.

I also cannot stop others from thinking an O2 and ODAC is a match made in heaven, or the Starving Student is all one ever needs for any headphone.

I stand innocent of all charges of denigrating or disparaging remarks here on Head-Fi 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back