The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #17,686 of 28,989
  Got to listen to my HD800s after a brief hiatus due to classes (and other things)...

Oh my god. These make my SE846s sound like $10 earbuds. o.o

Each one has its purpose. Try using the HD 800 in a gym..
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #17,690 of 28,989
Hi looking for some advice from some experienced hd800 owners

I bought the hd 800s a couple of months ago and have really been enjoying them. It was these and the he560s that stood out for me and i went for the hd800s because of their soundstage and analytical nature (for the lack of a better term). I also have found myself drawn to the upper mids and highs and do not find these harsh

However as we all know sub par recordings do not go well with these. Now I listen to cd and aiff files and i'm finding some recordings are lacking in magic. Others are fantastic. I am only using a cayin C5 (that i love) and an odac/o2 that i usually eq a little to add meat/texture. For now, I am quite happy with this - I knew this would be the case when I bought them.

I am planning to audition a range of amps in the near future - based on my research of views here on head fi and other sources.

My question is will cds that currently are "nothing special" improve with better amps (I have no idea what i'll spend but something under $1500 would be good) or would i need to spend a bucket load of money on amps and dacs to get there or do these tracks in fact have no hope? 

Have I taken a wrong turn towards a dead end?

your experienced views are most welcome

cheers
peter t

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #17,691 of 28,989
IME, best and well suited amp for HD800 or dacs does wonder for all recordings :wink: . A Rig that would allow us only to listen to perfect recordings wouldn't be a good one.  Bas recordings will always sound bad unfortunately.

My recommendation is to ALWAYS use average recordings during tests and the right path is a bit narrow... the gear must do justice to best recordings and allow to listen quietly to average ones.  A too forgiving amp or dac does not do justice to the HD800 abiltiy to render stellar recordings .

My 2 cents. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #17,692 of 28,989
My question is will cds that currently are "nothing special" improve with better amps (I have no idea what i'll spend but something under $1500 would be good) or would i need to spend a bucket load of money on amps and dacs to get there or do these tracks in fact have no hope? 

cheers
peter t

Hi there,

the HD800 will tell it like it is. Any equally transparent component in your system (amp or DAC) will bring you closer to what is on the recording. If that recording has been messed up, it will not be a pleasure to listen to. Any amp that is not introducing some coloration will not make it nicer. Your taste of music will greatly affect if you will like to listen to it via the HD800.

Any DAC that has been trimmed for "high resolution sound", will most likely not be a good match for HD800. I am not sure if info is available which DAC has been developed using the HD800 but I know that the exasound e20 has been finetuned using the Sennheiser as tool. I have never found any of the negatives others were complaining about. But OK that little thing is about $3k.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #17,693 of 28,989
However as we all know sub par recordings do not go well with these. Now I listen to cd and aiff files and i'm finding some recordings are lacking in magic. Others are fantastic. I am only using a cayin C5 (that i love) and an odac/o2 that i usually eq a little to add meat/texture.

cheers
peter t

In my experience a suitable mid range amplifier and dac are enough to enjoy HD800 with 95% of music. High feedback based opamp (or even discrete) circuits are the enemy of HD800, these make HD800 sound dead, distant and sibilant. 
I recently compared a 'decent on paper' (measures 10x better than the Sansui) diamond buffer high feedback amplifier to an old and cheap Sansui integerated amp. The old Sansui made me realise how much crap floats around in the market at the present. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #17,694 of 28,989
  Got to listen to my HD800s after a brief hiatus due to classes (and other things)...

Oh my god. These make my SE846s sound like $10 earbuds. o.o

That's a little exaggerated!  SE846s are a fine pair of IEM and you are comparing apple to orange.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #17,696 of 28,989
  Some headphones are definitely lemons......  (Old Beats, looking at you.......)  
confused_face_2.gif

You mean, THESE old Beats...?

or THESE?

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #17,699 of 28,989
  Some headphones are definitely lemons......  (Old Beats, looking at you.......)  
confused_face_2.gif

Bag Beats all you want, but the pair I bought from MacedonianHero are getting me stare everywhere I wear them.
Of course I don't actually listen to music with them. They just make great fashion accessories/statement. All my cousin thinks I'm part of the cool kid now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back