The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #13,486 of 28,989
  IMO, more the SR 009 than the HE 6.

You haven't yet heard HE 6 driven to its full potential
wink.gif
. Have you zeroed in for an amp for them ?

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #13,487 of 28,989

You haven't yet heard HE 6 driven to its full potential
wink.gif
. Have you zeroed in for an amp for them ?

Punit, you need to come to Chennai to listen to the SR 009. But I will not digress. In terms of an amp for the 6, I am driven to despair between the parasound series (probably not), Audio gd, Odyssey and the Ragnarok. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #13,490 of 28,989

Not so fast my friend (in the words of Lee Corso).  

Both Headphones (HD800 and HE-6) deserves a great amount of effort and unfortunately a little cash to get them to the point where they can be enjoyed.  When you get there, both headphones are pretty damn good at what they do.

Prep, that's fair. I am using the KGSShv with the Stax so I'm probably almost "there". With the 6, I'm driving myself nuts in my quest for an amp. The more I look at Odyssey and read about it, the more I like it. Will give me a good opportunity to replace my JVC. I'll need a pre-amp as well. OR, I'm hoping the Ragnarok is the Holy Grail for both the 800 and the 6.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #13,491 of 28,989
I have been thinking the same thing. The HD800 is like its molded over a certain ear/head shape :D
Still super comfy to everyone.
Yeah that's one of the faults that headphones have versus speakers. Then again a lot of high-end speakers benefit from room treatment which can be costly, but I shouldn't be bringing speaker conversation in here :p.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #13,492 of 28,989
  Prep, that's fair. I am using the KGSShv with the Stax so I'm probably almost "there". With the 6, I'm driving myself nuts in my quest for an amp. The more I look at Odyssey and read about it, the more I like it. Will give me a good opportunity to replace my JVC. I'll need a pre-amp as well. OR, I'm hoping the Ragnarok is the Holy Grail for both the 800 and the 6.

That would be nice if the Ragg can pull that off.  I'm looking for it the be a really good match with the LCD-3Fs..  

Talk to Klus (Odyssey) he is a great salesman.  He will give you a great deal on the Kismet..Go for an integrated..

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #13,493 of 28,989
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/8880#post_10338732

I gave my impression about Abyss vs HD800  from a Totaldac D1 Dual + ECBA ( PX4 + Mullard tubes) rig  a few month ago.   Everyone who really have the Abyss in hands understands immediately that  measurements should be very difficult with those "headphones" . So IMO every measurements of these cans should be taken with a grain of salt. its maybe right and accurate maybe not.  And you can trust me, I really appreciate headphone measurements and innerfidelity is my bible for that (I only compare measurements from the same source) . Some other Headphones are very hard to measure accurately too ( ATH woodies If my memory is good)

A lot of Abyss bashing for bad reasons here. Yes the Abyss is ugly, Yes Abyss measurements show oddities, Yes this is expensive but sorry guys , the Abyss is better than my beloved HD800  and it's due to two points and the most important is not the E.T bass departement but the imaging capabilities.  I don't which measurement show imaging capabilities. Soes someone know that ?  

That said for my own tastes , I'd take the SR009 over the Abyss .  More precisely , I consider that my HD800 , although less fast and accurate than the SR009, although less impressive in imaging and bass that Abyss  is my best option to enjoy my music in my current environnement.  And i don''t care about not owning the best headphone of the world. We don't speak about Olympic Games for audiophiles here , don't we ?  :wink:

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #13,494 of 28,989
When you gaze long into an Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you your wallet!

just sayin... 

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #13,496 of 28,989
Can anyone tell me if the colorware paint jobs are more resistant to flaking and small scratches on the HD800? 

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #13,497 of 28,989
The Head-Fi Summer Buying had a review of the Ragnarok, and in the review Jude seemed to really like how the HD-800'S and the HE-6' sounded, when powered by the Ragnarok. It was this review, that has inspired me to save up and get the Ragnarok and the HE-6.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #13,499 of 28,989

I swapped a few emails with them. I stated that yes, in fact their paint in more resistant to scratches. 

brilliant - thanks matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back