The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #13,501 of 28,989
Sep 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #13,504 of 28,989
Had my colorwares for 2 1/2 years, no flakes yet.

Impressive.  My #6954 that I've had for quite some time could be called Colorflakes.

Don't read that wrong, I don't have Colorwares.  

My stock 800s are looking pretty bad.  Sounds the same though.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #13,506 of 28,989

The best connectors are no connectors..

Best place to get it done? Also, you hear an audible difference between hardwire vs. non hardwire (assuming same quality of cable is used)?

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #13,508 of 28,989
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/8880#post_10338732

A lot of Abyss bashing for bad reasons here. Yes the Abyss is ugly, Yes Abyss measurements show oddities, Yes this is expensive but sorry guys , the Abyss is better than my beloved HD800  and it's due to two points and the most important is not the E.T bass departement but the imaging capabilities.  I don't which measurement show imaging capabilities. Soes someone know that ?  

Could you elaborate what you understand as imaging capabilities ?
For me that is the ability to recreated the image of the position of the sound source, otherwise also referred to as "sound stage". I only heard the Abyss once with Woo Audio amp & DAC at the NY 2014 spring meet and I wasn't particularly impressed with the Abyss. I got the standard headphone "in the middle of my head" effect and the only can I don't get this is the HD800. Other than that the weight of the Abyss gives me a headache. So luckily for my wallet I'm very happy with the HD800 and not tempted at all by the Abyss
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #13,510 of 28,989
  Best place to get it done? Also, you hear an audible difference between hardwire vs. non hardwire (assuming same quality of cable is used)?

I got mine done at SAA.  Be careful, yes he is an ex Senn. engineer but he will also try to sell you a lot of snake oil.  I knew I just wanted my headphones hardwired and nothing else.  He also does an Ultra- Mod.  Greed got both done to his HD800s.  Depending on what cable you want - It will take away any hardness or harshness in the highs.  The mids are more enjoyable.

To my ears it makes the HD800 sound more mature 

http://www.stefanaudioart.com/

http://casques-headphones.com/index

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #13,513 of 28,989

I got mine done at SAA.  Be careful, yes he is an ex Senn. engineer but he will also try to sell you a lot of snake oil.  I knew I just wanted my headphones hardwired and nothing else.  He also does an Ultra- Mod.  Greed got both done to his HD800s.  Depending on what cable you want - It will take away any hardness or harshness in the highs.  The mids are more enjoyable.

To my ears it makes the HD800 sound more mature 

http://www.stefanaudioart.com/

http://casques-headphones.com/index

So just hardwire with endorphin and skip the Ultra mod? That's still like $749 stock at 4 feet. Is it actually worth anywhere near that?

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #13,514 of 28,989
  Could you elaborate what you understand as imaging capabilities ?
For me that is the ability to recreated the image of the position of the sound source, otherwise also referred to as "sound stage". I only heard the Abyss once with Woo Audio amp & DAC at the NY 2014 spring meet and I wasn't particularly impressed with the Abyss. I got the standard headphone "in the middle of my head" effect and the only can I don't get this is the HD800. Other than that the weight of the Abyss gives me a headache. So luckily for my wallet I'm very happy with the HD800 and not tempted at all by the Abyss
wink.gif

we talk about the same thing. I had the big chance to try the Abyss quietly without any noise around me and I've no doubt about is superior imaging capabilities ( more consistent image with a better sense of mouvement from back to front, more 3D) . We've scrutated those abilities with very specific music.  It seems the settings ( pads positionning anbd head band settings) make a big difference though. 

With big orchestral pieces , it seems the difference was less obvious though :wink:

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #13,515 of 28,989
  So just hardwire with endorphin and skip the Ultra mod? That's still like $749 stock at 4 feet. Is it actually worth anywhere near that?

That is a lot of money I know.  However, you know how it is when you want something - you go get it at all cost (well almost at all cost).  I looked around trying to find someone who would do it - no takers.  My guy that hardwired all my other headphones would not touch it.  So when I found out about SAA I was like "game on"  Then the price gave me pause.  

I thought about it for about 3 weeks.  It eat at me so much I just gave in and got it done.  James tried to get me to get the Ultra mod as well, but after hearing the Anax mod I decided not to.  Not saying both mods would sound the same.  Hell - I just wanted the hardwire, I said if I feel the need to have the Ultra Mod done I'll send them in.  Well - I don't feel the need.

The cable it self is what cost.  To bad you can't have him hardwire your own cable.  If he did I would have sent him a Norse Cable - much cheaper.  I had to go with what he offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back