The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #13,531 of 28,989
For anyone who interested in Custom Painted HD800, I'm selling my brand new HD800 from Colorware, also the Cardas Clear cable, welcome to have a look. :)

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #13,532 of 28,989
  Aside from hardwire endorphins, where does cardas fall among all the other Moon Audio, Headphone Lounge, Norse Audio and such.

I think Cardas are litz copper if that is information of any use.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #13,533 of 28,989

I think Cardas are litz copper if that is information of any use.

I have no idea what that's supposed to translate to what I am supposed to be getting out of it, but thanks for the info 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #13,534 of 28,989
For anyone who interested in Custom Painted HD800, I'm selling my brand new HD800 from Colorware, also the Cardas Clear cable, welcome to have a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wondering does the new paint job change the sounds at all?

I would imagine the headphone was design with specific housing type/material. Would the new paint job affect it?

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #13,535 of 28,989

I would imagine the headphone was design with specific housing type/material. Would the new paint job affect it?

Of course won't. You can see lots people sending their HD800 to Colorware for the paint, also it still have warranty after the paint. They only paint the surface and won't touch anything that relevant to sound quality.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #13,536 of 28,989
  omg, just got a pair for myself.  31xxx.
i don't feel the amazingness at first, but it's when I go BACK to the HD-650 that makes me feel like everything is much smaller..

Yea, same thing happened to me.

After awhile I eventually sold the HD650.......then after another little while I sold my RS1i.

You get so used to listening to them, that you just expect that sound......as soon as I put on another set of cans, I was like.....damn....these are small and narrow   
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #13,537 of 28,989

I now have three pairs of HD800, one stock. one cranberry-gold and one limited-edition glossy gold and black.

They all sound very slightly different because...all stock units are never perfectly identical--though they are extremely close--and all three painted units have different level of break-in, the last one being brand new.

Of course the paint job has no effect whatsoever on the sound.  After all these are just headphones made of metal and plastic.  They are not Stradivarius...

So stop worrying at get yours painted exactly the way you like it--just stay away from lime-green and fuchsia; you may never be able to re-sell them.

BTW, it you buy directly from Colorware, the cost is the same as the stock unit new.  If you send in your old pair (in pristine condition only), it will cost you $300. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #13,538 of 28,989
  I now have three pairs of HD800, one stock. one cranberry-gold and one limited-edition glossy gold and black.

They all sound very slightly different because...all stock units are never perfectly identical--though they are extremely close--and all three painted units have different level of break-in, the last one being brand new.

Of course the paint job has no effect whatsoever on the sound.  After all these are just headphones made of metal and plastic.  They are not Stradivarius...

So stop worrying at get yours painted exactly the way you like it--just stay away from lime-green and fuchsia; you may never be able to re-sell them.

BTW, it you buy directly from Colorware, the cost is the same as the stock unit new.  If you send in your old pair (in pristine condition only), it will cost you $300. 

So you're saying headphone the housing material / design has no affect on sound quality?

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #13,539 of 28,989

So you're saying headphone the housing material / design has no affect on sound quality?

The color doesn't make a difference if the underlying material is exactly the same.
Housing material and shape obviously make all the difference - next to the drivers
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #13,540 of 28,989

No, I am saying that the frames are made of metal and plastic which is not the same as a resonance box of a violin made of delicate wood where any tiny change even on the surface can alter the sound.

I am also saying that the variation of the sound from one unit to another, as small as they are, are much larger than any change--and I pretty sure there is none--caused by a layer of paint on metal and plastic.

I am also saying that I have three pairs, two of which are painted, and I know that there is no difference among them except for the very small, slow and progressive sonic evolution during break-in.

No speculations necessary. The paint does not change the sound.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #13,541 of 28,989

No, I am saying that the frames are made of metal and plastic which is not the same as a resonance box of a violin made of delicate wood where any tiny change even on the surface can alter the sound.

I am also saying that the variation of the sound from one unit to another, as small as they are, are much larger than any change--and I pretty sure there is none--caused by a layer of paint on metal and plastic.

I am also saying that I have three pairs, two of which are painted, and I know that there is no difference among them except for the very small, slow and progressive sonic evolution during break-in.

No speculations necessary. The paint does not change the sound.

Thanks Justin. Its a beautiful piece and I'm tempting to get one. Then I'm not so sure since the paint looks quite thick, I suspect it might affect the way the unit is designed. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #13,542 of 28,989

The color doesn't make a difference if the underlying material is exactly the same.
Housing material and shape obviously make all the difference - next to the drivers
wink.gif

Exactly!

Absolutely nothing is changed underneath the layer of paint.

I do not know why people are concerned about this. I guaranty you, in the dark, they all sound the same

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #13,543 of 28,989

wink.gif

The original question was whether the paint job done by Colorware changes the sound of the HD800, nothing else.

And the answer is a resounding NO.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #13,544 of 28,989

wink.gif

Exactly!

Absolutely nothing is changed underneath the layer of paint.

I do not know why people are concerned about this. I guaranty you, in the dark, they all sound the same

LOL, as people are not sitting in the dark all the time, I am sure they will attest that a silver one is worst in terms of sibilance issues
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #13,545 of 28,989

I think the black paint makes them sound darker.  

j/k, but yeah could be that the paint has some minute effect on the resonant characteristics of the headphone, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back