The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #13,563 of 28,992
  Purrin, in reference to your amp lineup, where would you place the Apex Teton which some claim is a step above the EC 4-45 (within that price range)? I'm seriously considering it.   

I have not heard anyone claim that. How many people have heard the EC 445 anyway? Its unfortunate that the Teton is kind of ugly because I have heard a lot of good things about it. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #13,565 of 28,992
Somehow, I'm drawn to two options and thus, a question for you, please:

Independent of price (a difficult consideration), with tube rolling allowed, of course, which amp would you prefer for the HD800 - the Valhalla 2 (with or without Anax) -or- the DNA Sonett 2 (with or without Anax) ?

Purrin can't answer himself so it's for you :

I would go for V2, because I'm an "all-in" (Stratus) or cheapskate (V2) kind of guy. Doesn't take anything away from the Sonett 2 though. 

beerchug.gif

PS: Didn't try the V2 myself so I haven't any reliable opinion.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #13,566 of 28,992
  Purrin, in reference to your amp lineup, where would you place the Apex Teton which some claim is a step above the EC 4-45 (within that price range)? I'm seriously considering it.   

I really should not make any comment here, since I have not heard Teton or 445, but one of my best friend has heard both Teton and my 2A3MKIV(Similar design of 445). Although using different source, he said Teton is really good with HD800, but 2A3MKIV is also as musical as Teton and offers a similar bass attack and wider sound stage. I will have my 445 coming in few weeks and I also will get a Teton from Todd for audition. Although I am selling my 2A3MKIV, but it is really a stunning amp, I just got too many amps at the same time. I will let you guys know how those 3 compete with each other. But really you cant expect me to write a full review, I am so bad at it. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #13,568 of 28,992
Thank you Sorrodje!

Are you relaying purrin's response to my question on his behalf or are you quoting something he wrote previously, in response to someone else's question?

In any case, I trust that you are quoting purrin, and again, thanks for this post!

Mike

Quote:

Purrin can't answer himself so it's for you :

I would go for V2, because I'm an "all-in" (Stratus) or cheapskate (V2) kind of guy. Doesn't take anything away from the Sonett 2 though. 

beerchug.gif

PS: Didn't try the V2 myself so I haven't any reliable opinion.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #13,569 of 28,992
Are you relaying purrin's response to my question on his behalf or are you quoting something he wrote previously, in response to someone else's question?

First option sir :wink:

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #13,570 of 28,992
Does anyone here own both the LCD-2 and the HD800?

Could you perhaps give me a good comparison?

I own LCD-2 fazors that are a few months old, but I want to maybe get HD800 instead.  Their frequency response curves are almost identical (hd800 has a tad bit more treble, but I'm ok with that)

I sort of want the bigger soundstage+ better imaging that lots of people describe, but I wanted to get some more opinions first before I think about making the switch!

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #13,571 of 28,992
They are almost utterly opposite. The lcd-2 is rich, meaty, wet...whereas the hd800 is more about accuracy, imaging, sound stage. The hd800 is very dependent on the gear in front of it. The lcd2 much less so. Much better comfort for me on the 800. ymmv

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #13,572 of 28,992
My friends reaction when comparing the two on my setup that I found humorous and a bit like Matt's description , "The Lcd-2 (non fazor)is  like my Mom's meat and potatoes, the HD-800 is like a meal in a fancy restaurant that you paid too much for but it was worth it".

Needless to say, he is a chef. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #13,573 of 28,992
  I really should not make any comment here, since I have not heard Teton or 445, but one of my best friend has heard both Teton and my 2A3MKIV(Similar design of 445). Although using different source, he said Teton is really good with HD800, but 2A3MKIV is also as musical as Teton and offers a similar bass attack and wider sound stage. I will have my 445 coming in few weeks and I also will get a Teton from Todd for audition. Although I am selling my 2A3MKIV, but it is really a stunning amp, I just got too many amps at the same time. I will let you guys know how those 3 compete with each other. But really you cant expect me to write a full review, I am so bad at it. 

I look forward to your impressions. Hopefully those 2 sales go well for you

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #13,574 of 28,992
I think you probably would like the Questyle CMA800R as well. 

Ears I trust say it dulls the HD800 too much. I'd be willing to try it, but won't be buying one for the opportunity.

Purrin is banned from this thread. Too much 'contribution', I suppose. I'm guessing that's a quote from past comments.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #13,575 of 28,992
We've got some wicked thunderstorms going on right now so I decide to shut down anything plugged in.  Running my MacBook Air with my dusted off AQ Dragonfly 1.2 and you know what, not too bad with the HD800.  Nice job in a pinch.  Miss the bass slam, air and control but still very listenable.  Not a bad way of slumming it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back