The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #13,576 of 28,992
  We've got some wicked thunderstorms going on right now so I decide to shut down anything plugged in.  Running my MacBook Air with my dusted off AQ Dragonfly 1.2 and you know what, not too bad with the HD800.  Nice job in a pinch.  Miss the bass slam, air and control but still very listenable.  Not a bad way of slumming it.

They are something wicked! Now using my new Bose QC25s to drown out the thunder.  
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #13,577 of 28,992
We've got some wicked thunderstorms going on right now so I decide to shut down anything plugged in.  Running my MacBook Air with my dusted off AQ Dragonfly 1.2 and you know what, not too bad with the HD800.  Nice job in a pinch.  Miss the bass slam, air and control but still very listenable.  Not a bad way of slumming it.
I'm listening through the storm too, getting some paperwork done while using my basic iPod Touch 5G -> JDS Labs O2 -> HD800. I've got a Nuforce HA200 on the way, estimated to arrive on the 12th. Now all I need is a decent DAC for what will no doubt be my dream headphone setup :D.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #13,578 of 28,992
The moral of the story is that you don't need a milti-thousand dollar setup to enjoy the HD800.  Listening to Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy and Enigma.  Lights out, candle lit and enjoying every second of it! 
L3000.gif

Looking at my WA6 with the Sophia Princess rectifier and I sure don't want to see it blow up in my face if we get a power surge. 
blink.gif

Quote:
I'm listening through the storm too, getting some paperwork done while using my basic iPod Touch 5G -> JDS Labs O2 -> HD800. I've got a Nuforce HA200 on the way, estimated to arrive on the 12th. Now all I need is a decent DAC for what will no doubt be my dream headphone setup
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #13,579 of 28,992
Pretty interesting seeing people run the HD800 with wallet friendly setups. Always resigned myself to not owning a pair because recommended setups are very high dollar.

I saw several people running the HD800 with the Valhalla 2. To anyone that has tried this combo. Can you pair it with a Bifrost or do you still need a high dollar DAC ahead of the Valhalla 2?

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #13,581 of 28,992
They are almost utterly opposite. The lcd-2 is rich, meaty, wet...whereas the hd800 is more about accuracy, imaging, sound stage. The hd800 is very dependent on the gear in front of it. The lcd2 much less so. Much better comfort for me on the 800. ymmv

I agree with all of that. :wink:

First option sir :wink:

My thanks to both of you!

I've ordered the Valhalla 2.

:D

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #13,582 of 28,992
Pretty interesting seeing people run the HD800 with wallet friendly setups. Always resigned myself to not owning a pair because recommended setups are very high dollar.

I saw several people running the HD800 with the Valhalla 2. To anyone that has tried this combo. Can you pair it with a Bifrost or do you still need a high dollar DAC ahead of the Valhalla 2?

There are a lot of dacs under $1000 that will pair well with the HD800 but they may not bring you that last 5%-10% you get for the higher prices. I found that getting the right  amp is a greater issue with my HD800's. If you troll the reviews you can find products in your price range that work just fine. This is Headfi so comments tend to lean towards the "ultimate" pairing. Not everyone can afford to drop 10K on a dac or an amp. You don't really need to do that to get most of the way to very high end sound with the HD800's.

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #13,584 of 28,992
  My friends reaction when comparing the two on my setup that I found humorous and a bit like Matt's description , "The Lcd-2 (non fazor)is  like my Mom's meat and potatoes, the HD-800 is like a meal in a fancy restaurant that you paid too much for but it was worth it".

Needless to say, he is a chef. 

They are almost utterly opposite. The lcd-2 is rich, meaty, wet...whereas the hd800 is more about accuracy, imaging, sound stage. The hd800 is very dependent on the gear in front of it. The lcd2 much less so. Much better comfort for me on the 800. ymmv

A guy on the LCD-2 thread is doing a "flagship" rundown, where he's buying headphones for a few weeks, returning them and then buying another pair to see what he likes most.

He has a pair of LCD-2 on hand, and just got his HD800 a few days ago.

He mentioned the bass on them isn't anywhere near as lackluster as people make them out to be, and found them more "punchy" than the LCD-2, but the LCD-2 had the weight + depth as well and the HD800 didn't have quite as much.

(considering many occasions people have said that adding fazors on has reduced the bass of the LCD-2 quite a bit, which I seem to agree with because my LCD-2's really don't have a crap ton of "kick-you-intheface" bass, but rather articulation and depth in the lower register, I don't think the switch would be that bad.)

Here's his whole post:

Right now I have the hd 800 for a week or so, then gonna try the he-560. I'm slowly learning I fall into the minority of sound preferences somehow. like a great example, SO FAR, with the hd 800 is that I actually feel it has harder hitting and more noticeable bass than the lcd 2 (and I am using a good amp, the new Violectric V281). Yes the lcd 2 has more bass, and goes audibly down to the 20hz and below mark, where the hd 800 only goes down to 30hz (as in the volume you hear at 20hz on the lcd 2 is only reached when it gets to 30hz on the hd 800), and in general the hd 800 is less linear in the bass region, and has less boom( like reverberation, as in the sound you get playing a bass tone, versus the punch of a bass kick), BUT the hd 800 hits harder, and the bass stands out more in the mix. I realized the lcd 2 is so linear that the bass can sometimes fall into place too well, and as a result does not stand out as much. but since the hd 800 has all that treble and air, you end up noticing the bass much more, as it is such a contrast to everything else you hear. (but I still would not keep the hd 800, too much treble, a bit too hot, and a tad too bright in tone, plus the bass needs a bit more reverberation), but it made the lcd 2 bass seem soft and hidden. unless you played straight bass tones.

well I never heard the fazor version, so take this into consideration, but in comparison to a september 2013 model the hd800 is instantly noticeable to have better imaging. the soundstage is bigger, but not in the distant kind of way a lot of reviews make it out to be, its more that it just extends out infinitely, rather than having an end to it. but that just means only if a recording has a huge soundstage, will you ever really notice this difference. otherwise they are close enough to not care so much about it (unless you listen to music with massive soundstages a lot, like classical or something. I listen to a lot of metal and some ambient electronic, and a few random stuff in between). the imaging though is definitely better. like the slight improvement in air and soundstage availability really does just help place sounds/instruments exactly where they should be, and separate them from each other nicely. Plus it is super 3d holographic, meaning a sound panning from left to right does not feel like it gets lost or dimmed when its in front/center, thats the problem many headphones have. the lcd 2 images very well also, but without having as much air, there isnt as much space between sounds, but they never blend. the hd800 gives them breathing room. so both image great, just depends how much size you like.

to put everything I just said into context, neither headphone does soundstaging/imaging good or bad enough for me to prefer one over the other for this trait. the hd800 can have some sweet moments with binaural stuff though, and if you are not a fan of smaller soundstages, the hd 800 will give you the extra breathing room. I can see how it might be a bit too large on some stuff, but honestly I think the reviews blow that negative wayyyyy out of proportion. its just subtely too big, but it wont make anything sound wrong to you. the imaging I would miss though, it does that way too awesome lol.

it also has noticeably better detail. you will hear it first thing for sure. and because the hd 800 has a sharper treble, details always get noticed. which makes them impress you all the time. the lcd 2 was like that for me for the first day or so, then it got a bit dull in that respect. the hd 800 is always intense (too much so for the long term, as in fatiguing) but it sure is pretty cool to listen to like ambient electronic music with tons of subtle layers and just get your mind blown. the lcd 2 treble makes the details too quiet compared to the rest of the sound. so they are there, but you have a hard time noticing them, esp the subtle ones. and at this price point, those details make the difference between sounding amazing, and sounding like you want more. (hence why audeze has 3 models more expensive to remedy this).

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #13,585 of 28,992
  The dac is going to be the least of your worries, any reputable dac will give you almost every last percent of the music.  

You need to define `reputable`.  I think I agree with you.  The HD800s clearly showed unambiguous, effortlessly-noticeable differences between my old TEAC UD-H01 dac and the vastly superior and more expensive Luxman DA-06, especially with vocals, and the fatigue factor.  It was like, absolutely obvious, the difference in sound quality, staging, musicality.   I enjoyed the DA-06 for 6 months then recently tried TEAC`s new UD-301.  I was again blown away, because even though I really really wanted to, I could not hear any benefit whatsoever in the Luxman over the TEAC.  I got the TEAC as a store-demo model for about US$350; the Luxman was nearly 10 times that (here in Japan; about 15 - 20x abroad).  I sold the Lux.   

I`m not sure if a 350$ dac would fit in your `reputable` category.  

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #13,586 of 28,992
I've run the HD800 with the PS Audio DLIII, Bifrost Uber, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V1.  To be honest, I could live with any of them.  In my case, the amp made more of a difference than the DAC did.  Other than the Bifrost, all the other DAC's have a bit of a warmer tilt which is my preference.  YMMV.
Yes, the Bifrost Uber will do nicely.  Would like to try a Valhalla 2 someday.

Quote:

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #13,588 of 28,992
  Does anyone here own both the LCD-2 and the HD800?

Could you perhaps give me a good comparison?

I own LCD-2 fazors that are a few months old, but I want to maybe get HD800 instead.  Their frequency response curves are almost identical (hd800 has a tad bit more treble, but I'm ok with that)

I sort of want the bigger soundstage+ better imaging that lots of people describe, but I wanted to get some more opinions first before I think about making the switch!

Don't have LCD-2 but have 3f.
If possible, keep both. In certain mood, you'll listen to certain music which LCDs will excel at. Others HD800 will.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #13,589 of 28,992
Ears I trust say it dulls the HD800 too much. I'd be willing to try it, but won't be buying one for the opportunity.

Yeah I read that too. However I think CMA800R is an amp that you needs to grow on you. I can see why someone would say that at a meet. I am very happy pairing it with X-Sabre for now! Not dull sounding to my ears.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #13,590 of 28,992

To my understanding the bifrost and valhalla 2 are a really nice pairing for the hd800.....and without breaking the bank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back