The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #28,037 of 28,989
Bought another HD800 'like new open box' from a private seller.
Hopefully this is a good one because I'd really like to have this headphone.
I enjoyed it every time I've heard it (in home) but went on to other headphones and never got around to buying it new 'til it was too late.

Would be interested in hearing your comments on this headphone with your new tube amp.
I found this headphone much more enjoyable with my OTL tube amp than my SS amp.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #28,038 of 28,989
Would be interested in hearing your comments on this headphone with your new tube amp.
I found this headphone much more enjoyable with my OTL tube amp than my SS amp.
Hey Joe,

If you remember, a while back I borrowed the HD800 from TCC due to you telling me how much you really enjoyed yours, and I felt the same way after hearing them, but as I mentioned, I just never got around to buying them.

I've read the HD800 pairs well with OTL amps, but I've heard both, the 800 and a modded 800 on my WA33 within the past month and both sounded spectacular which is why I feel these are a must to own.
I'll keep you posted on how they pair with the Citadel. I was reading the FS forums and see that you've sold yours after all this time?

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #28,039 of 28,989
He'll buy them again. We all do. :sweat_smile:

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #28,040 of 28,989
Hey Joe,

If you remember, a while back I borrowed the HD800 from TCC due to you telling me how much you really enjoyed yours, and I felt the same way after hearing them, but as I mentioned, I just never got around to buying them.

I've read the HD800 pairs well with OTL amps, but I've heard both, the 800 and a modded 800 on my WA33 within the past month and both sounded spectacular which is why I feel these are a must to own.
I'll keep you posted on how they pair with the Citadel. I was reading the FS forums and see that you've sold yours after all this time?

Yes, I did sell mine some time back, I liked them a lot,but they were getting the least amount of head time.

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #28,041 of 28,989
Mar 29, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #28,042 of 28,989
Bought another HD800 'like new open box' from a private seller.
Hopefully this is a good one because I'd really like to have this headphone.
I enjoyed it every time I've heard it (in home) but went on to other headphones and never got around to buying it new 'til it was too late.
Congratulations! Much as I LOVE my Grados, and have a variety of other top tier headphones like the HiFiMAN HE 1000 and Ultrasone Edition 10, it is my Sennheiser HD800 (with the HDVD 800 DAC/amp) that I would never part with!

F26B16A1-BEC9-4A57-BA5F-7ECD97AC24E4.jpeg

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #28,044 of 28,989
I wanted to buy an portable amp for HD800, not for on go, just to be mobile enough to move within home.

Any recommendation on best paring portable amp will be helpful.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #28,045 of 28,989
Received another pair of 800's from a seller claiming to have only used them once and described them as 'open box/like new'.
I took a shot and purchased them, and they're absolutely in this exact condition, like new.
Very glad I took another chance purchasing an 800. I'm enjoying them right now single ended via my WA33 and they sound excellent right out of the box, Tomorrow I'll terminate the stock cable to XLR.

On another note, the first pair I bought & returned ($989.00) I'm having an issue with the seller refunding me, as well as PayPal taking my side even though I provided everything they asked for and even an email from the seller telling me to "return the to their address and telling me I'll refund you immediately, sorry for any inconveniences". My credit card company is already aware and I'm going to go this route. What a shame.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #28,046 of 28,989
So it seems whoever was investigating my PP case for my refund of ($989.00) overlooked the email I sent quoting the seller had offered me the refund after I shipped back the headphones. I found this out this morning when I called PP and asked if they missed this (?!) and they reviewed the information I submitted again between the seller & I while I waited on hold, and then immediately refunded my account with an apology.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #28,047 of 28,989
After quitting the HD800 camp for almost 3 years now, in favor of the HE6/Clear and HE1000v2 combo... followed by an HE1000se, K1000 and Susvara - I am now back on Sennheiser's team.

With Oratory1990's Harman correction EQ, on a stock HD800 (sdr or anax mod removed as it was worse); these scale to godly heights and have a listenable tuning.

Susvara is still my top headphone, but HD800 is right along its side and does some things better believe it or not.

HD800 is now more enjoyable than the likes of Empyrean, Utopia, HEKv2, LCD4. Not quite as good as a Stax 009 or 009S, but still a better product imho as it sounds better to the ear despite the technicalities.

I hate to say it, but EQ can be good.. and I really hate to say it; in this case it's fantastic.
But did you try any of those other ones with EQ?

I kinda want to try the HD800 in the near future, also with EQ. I have an LCD-2F but I don't particularly like timbre and imaging on them even with EQ. Maybe the HD800 is better but I'm worried its bass will be a significant downgrade compared to the LCD-2F. Is the HD800 bass bloated like other dynamics or is it similarly clean to a planar?

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #28,048 of 28,989
In my experience using parametric EQ on the 800's, my aim is try to use as little as possible and also try to keep it at 6db or less.
Of course there are exceptions, even so the 6dB 'semi-limitation' is a good starting point.

And also reduce the overall level by the same amount, when you add any boost.
IOW if I add a 6dB boost to the bass, I will reduce the overall level by 6dB.
This helps keep transients from digitally clipping etc.

Just my 2¢

JJ

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #28,049 of 28,989
But did you try any of those other ones with EQ?

I kinda want to try the HD800 in the near future, also with EQ. I have an LCD-2F but I don't particularly like timbre and imaging on them even with EQ. Maybe the HD800 is better but I'm worried its bass will be a significant downgrade compared to the LCD-2F. Is the HD800 bass bloated like other dynamics or is it similarly clean to a planar?

Which 800? 800 or 800S?

Personally I can live without EQing the 800 on most of what I listen to. They are a little much with some female vocals though. The quality of bass on the 800 is outstanding. It is just not boosted and does not slam like a pair of LCDs.

I can't see having either the LCD or the 800/S. The LCDs are better all-rounders than the 800 but the 800 does some things better. You really need to have both :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back