The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #28,051 of 28,989
Hi

does anybody know how to safely clean the outer grills of the cups on the HD800? The sensitive part.

Attachments

• 74A1F394-0816-4B30-B871-35BDA69E3B59.jpeg
    74A1F394-0816-4B30-B871-35BDA69E3B59.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #28,052 of 28,989
Which 800? 800 or 800S?

Personally I can live without EQing the 800 on most of what I listen to. They are a little much with some female vocals though. The quality of bass on the 800 is outstanding. It is just not boosted and does not slam like a pair of LCDs.

I can't see having either the LCD or the 800/S. The LCDs are better all-rounders than the 800 but the 800 does some things better. You really need to have both :D
I meant the other headphones you listed. If you tried them with EQ.

Are they aggressive on female vocals with EQ? I'm also expecting the bass to be a bit bloated above 100 Hz like many dynamics are. Planars sound much more coherent through that region due to lack of distortion and possibly the flat impedance curve.

I think there might be too many things about the LCD-2 that I don't like, like the timbre and some weird resonances that cannot be removed via EQ (probably the leather pads do something weird to the sound). If the HD800 is technically superior in most ways then maybe I'd enjoy it more.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #28,053 of 28,989
I meant the other headphones you listed. If you tried them with EQ.

Are they aggressive on female vocals with EQ? I'm also expecting the bass to be a bit bloated above 100 Hz like many dynamics are. Planars sound much more coherent through that region due to lack of distortion and possibly the flat impedance curve.

I think there might be too many things about the LCD-2 that I don't like, like the timbre and some weird resonances that cannot be removed via EQ (probably the leather pads do something weird to the sound). If the HD800 is technically superior in most ways then maybe I'd enjoy it more.

Sorry, I'm losing context. The 800 is a technical headphone, analytical. I don't think anybody would be happy only with a pair of 800s. No bass bloat. Female vocals can be tamed on the 800s with judicious use of preferably paramateric EQ.

The LCD-2C is a good all-rounder. The LCD house sound is warm, there is nothing offensive at all about them. And they slam pretty well. There is nothing wrong with the pads but I also don't believe cables have sound or that pad rolling is a good use of my time and money. If I have to spend the rest of my life modding a pair of cans I won't buy them in the first place.

Bottom line is these two headphones are coming from opposite ends of the spectrum although LCD-2C is a lot closer to the imaginary middle than the 800s are. I think they're complementary and both excel at different things.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #28,054 of 28,989
The LCD-2C is a good all-rounder. The LCD house sound is warm, there is nothing offensive at all about them. And they slam pretty well. There is nothing wrong with the pads but I also don't believe cables have sound or that pad rolling is a good use of my time and money. If I have to spend the rest of my life modding a pair of cans I won't buy them in the first place.

Bottom line is these two headphones are coming from opposite ends of the spectrum although LCD-2C is a lot closer to the imaginary middle than the 800s are. I think they're complementary and both excel at different things.
I have the 2 Fazor and they are somewhat offensive. They have ringing in the presence region. It affects vocals to some degree and pianos. It causes them to sound shouty or klangy at times and honestly the timbre even post EQ isn't all that great. They do sound like speakers in a sense but they lose some of the focus of other headphones which makes them crappy for binaural recordings in particular (imaging is not very cohesive or clear). Yeah, I wouldn't change the pads either because that could have far worse consequences and with no clear FR I can't EQ them properly.

I've just been wondering if the HD800 was better in the ways that the LCD-2F is lackluster (weird timbre, unfocused imaging, slightly resonant upper mids/treble). The LCD-2 is good but is in fact a downgrade in some ways compared to other things I've owned or still own.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #28,055 of 28,989
Hi

does anybody know how to safely clean the outer grills of the cups on the HD800? The sensitive part.

Use either alcohol wipes or lightly moist cotton balls to gently wipe away any dirt.

Sorry, I'm losing context. The 800 is a technical headphone, analytical. I don't think anybody would be happy only with a pair of 800s. No bass bloat. Female vocals can be tamed on the 800s with judicious use of preferably paramateric EQ.

The LCD-2C is a good all-rounder. The LCD house sound is warm, there is nothing offensive at all about them

I had the LCD-2 & I don't think they compared to the HD800 in any way. The thinness & bass light of the HD800 is strictly on the amplifier used. The cheap stuff (even from Sennheiser themselves) are just not good enough for the HD800 & they will sound underpowered, bright & lacking in bass.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #28,056 of 28,989
I have the 2 Fazor and they are somewhat offensive. They have ringing in the presence region. It affects vocals to some degree and pianos. It causes them to sound shouty or klangy at times and honestly the timbre even post EQ isn't all that great. They do sound like speakers in a sense but they lose some of the focus of other headphones which makes them crappy for binaural recordings in particular (imaging is not very cohesive or clear). Yeah, I wouldn't change the pads either because that could have far worse consequences and with no clear FR I can't EQ them properly.

I've just been wondering if the HD800 was better in the ways that the LCD-2F is lackluster (weird timbre, unfocused imaging, slightly resonant upper mids/treble). The LCD-2 is good but is in fact a downgrade in some ways compared to other things I've owned or still own.

I haven't noticed any ringing with the 2C. I got a pair of 3Fs recently but they're in another country, I don't have much time on them. Timbre is as good as it gets with the 800, imaging is good to very good. I haven't listened to so-called binaural recordings but with music I'm used to the 800s make a difference. I don't notice any resonance but the treble peak is there and can be annoying on some recordings. I can't recommend the 800 as a daily driver. To me it should be in the arsenal and there are times it will bring joy.

I had the LCD-2 & I don't think they compared to the HD800 in any way. The thinness & bass light of the HD800 is strictly on the amplifier used. The cheap stuff (even from Sennheiser themselves) are just not good enough for the HD800 & they will sound underpowered, bright & lacking in bass.

I agree with this. I have often said that people who don't like a pair of 600s and think they sound meh aren't feeding them enough quality power. When Sennheiser 600 or 800s sound like crap the first place to point the finger is at the amp driving them. They're very sensitive to amplification and scale amazingly.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #28,057 of 28,989
Use either alcohol wipes or lightly moist cotton balls to gently wipe away any dirt.

I had the LCD-2 & I don't think they compared to the HD800 in any way. The thinness & bass light of the HD800 is strictly on the amplifier used. The cheap stuff (even from Sennheiser themselves) are just not good enough for the HD800 & they will sound underpowered, bright & lacki

Thank you

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #28,058 of 28,989
I haven't noticed any ringing with the 2C. I got a pair of 3Fs recently but they're in another country, I don't have much time on them. Timbre is as good as it gets with the 800, imaging is good to very good. I haven't listened to so-called binaural recordings but with music I'm used to the 800s make a difference. I don't notice any resonance but the treble peak is there and can be annoying on some recordings. I can't recommend the 800 as a daily driver. To me it should be in the arsenal and there are times it will bring joy.
Yeah, I found the issue on my LCD-2 Fazor. It's the freaking leather pads. I always hated the idea of leather being used on pads and now I know why. It absolutely colors the sound. Another internet friend has the 2C and he heard something similar with the different Audeze pads (leather, pleather, vegan, etc). It sounds like the sound comes from a tunnel almost, like you're aware that there is an enclosure where the sound is coming from. It's kinda subtle but very annoying in many instances.

I might as well just get the HD800 then. I've never had a bad experience with velour/microfiber pads and I'll probably stay away from higher end stuff with leather pads for now. I guess the Susvara isn't 100% leather so those might work but they're super pricey.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #28,060 of 28,989
In my experience it’s the sum total of the amp, dac, cables, ac power delivery, EQ, program material, etc. etc.
But then I am aiming for sub 20Hz performance all the way up, which does stretch the edges of the envelope a tad.

JJ

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #28,061 of 28,989
Wow, I'm super, super late to the HD800 party, don't know why I waited so long after selling my 800S to buy the 800.
Enjoying these very, very much via WA33. Waiting on a 3m Cardas Clear Dual 3-Pin XLR to arrive to compare to the stock cable that I terminated to XLR. These sound great with the stock cable, but I want to hear how they can sound by pushing the envelope a bit.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #28,062 of 28,989
I am kind of late to the sennheiser mod party, I just need to know what the consensus on mod? Anaxilus mod, resonator mod? I'm so confused, all these mods threads are dead so thought to ask for help here. I need to improve the bass, that's all. My sennheiser HD800 only has maybe less than 100 hours on them. TIA

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #28,063 of 28,989
I use hardware EQ on mine and then only for about 5-10% of what I listen to. I can't see modding them...

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #28,064 of 28,989
I am kind of late to the sennheiser mod party, I just need to know what the consensus on mod? Anaxilus mod, resonator mod? I'm so confused, all these mods threads are dead so thought to ask for help here. I need to improve the bass, that's all. My sennheiser HD800 only has maybe less than 100 hours on them. TIA
My recommendation (the Original!). Sadly all images have gone lost with the change to the new homepage.

Highly recommended also: adequate equalizing (works wonders especially for the bass).

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #28,065 of 28,989
I have sent in my HD800 for the Stefan Audio Ultimate mod. I've heard nothing but praises regarding this mod. Hopefully I will get it back by next week. I also asked them to hard-wire my Cardas Clear cable to the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back