The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #21,256 of 28,992
What you are talking about is a simple EQ which is more cost efficient if you only need to alter the Frequency Response of HD800 instead of trying a plethora of amps to get the sound you want. Still it's your choice and nobody can tell you you can't do that.

But saying other amps "not adequate" not only for HD800 but other headphones as well because of ones subjective opinion to me is the ugly. People spend time in forums like this to get information. I'm not against subjective impression. But when it comes to comparing gears especially ones making a buying decision. Subjective opinions has no merits. In fact it only causes regrets.

You'll find all these amplifiers measure flat. Whatever is causing differences in subjective impressions is not the frequency response of these.solid state amplifiers.

As to what is "adequate" the headphone out of my laptop could be "adequate" just there is room to improve if you have the listening skills to hear the difference.

As to what is useful, I will take anyones subjective impressions based on actual listening experience over random regurgitation of prior knowledge claims read up from sound science.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #21,257 of 28,992
What you are talking about is a simple EQ which is more cost efficient if you only need to alter the Frequency Response of HD800 instead of trying a plethora of amps to get the sound you want. Still it's your choice and nobody can tell you you can't do that.

But saying other amps "not adequate" not only for HD800 but other headphones as well because of ones subjective opinion to me is the ugly. People spend time in forums like this to get information. I'm not against subjective impression. But when it comes to comparing gears especially ones making a buying decision. Subjective opinions has no merits. In fact it only causes regrets.

As politely and as honestly as I can put it, you may be correct about wanting or requiring more objectivity in this hobby.

However, in my defense, I didsubsequently offer an explanation as to how I arrived at that judgment. I listened to both the 800 powered by the Hugo and the live performance.

I learned something from you. And that is the necessity to be more objective in this hobby. Nothing is absolute though. So I will always maintain a certain degree of subjectivity.

Please do not respond to this anymore. I believe you have sufficiently driven home your point.

Have a nice day.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #21,258 of 28,992
Come on Guys, let's give it a rest, some people love the Hugo with the 800, some don't. Ideally folks can try before they buy, if not caveat emptort. Audio enjoyment is a highly personal, subjective experience. Next subject please.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #21,259 of 28,992
I have stated in my posts, in various threads, how much I prefer a balanced setup over single ended. My Pono Player is a good example. And it does well with my HD800's and lcd2-f's. I had read about the ifi micro-idsd and was able to purchase one. Even though it was 'only' single ended. I took the ifi - idsd and my HD800's on vacation for 10 days. What a great sounding pair. The ifi - idsd drives the hd800's with authority. Plenty of Bass and great mids and soundstage and wonderful buzz words are all built in. The real treat is the treble. There's gobs of it, but this must be the 'smooth treble' everyone talks about. I do not get fatigued with this kit. I will take the ifi-idsd over my Bifrost uber / Lyr2 setup. So in my opinion the ifi-idsd pairs very well with hd800's and could serve as your only dac/amp and not feel like you are missing out on high-end.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #21,261 of 28,992
Yes the micro iDSD is a perfect match for the HD 800 love them since a year.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #21,262 of 28,992
Come on Guys, let's give it a rest, some people love the Hugo with the 800, some don't. Ideally folks can try before they buy, if not caveat emptort. Audio enjoyment is a highly personal, subjective experience. Next subject please.

Agreed,  Subject 
deadhorse.gif
 to death

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #21,263 of 28,992
I have stated in my posts, in various threads, how much I prefer a balanced setup over single ended. My Pono Player is a good example. And it does well with my HD800's and lcd2-f's. I had read about the ifi micro-idsd and was able to purchase one. Even though it was 'only' single ended. I took the ifi - idsd and my HD800's on vacation for 10 days. What a great sounding pair. The ifi - idsd drives the hd800's with authority. Plenty of Bass and great mids and soundstage and wonderful buzz words are all built in. The real treat is the treble. There's gobs of it, but this must be the 'smooth treble' everyone talks about. I do not get fatigued with this kit. I will take the ifi-idsd over my Bifrost uber / Lyr2 setup. So in my opinion the ifi-idsd pairs very well with hd800's and could serve as your only dac/amp and not feel like you are missing out on high-end.

Any comments on ifi-idsd at $500 list) vs. CEntrance HiFi-M8 at $700 list for driving HD 800?  Anyone?

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #21,264 of 28,992
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #21,266 of 28,992
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #21,267 of 28,992
  were you be able to enjoy the music?

Well through the Macbook Air the HD800 sounds like my HD598, except it doesn't go quite as loud. Still loud enough for long term hearing damage though. Through my Rega/ Valhalla combo you cannot compare the two headphones. The difference is vast to the point that I will never plug my HD598's into this rig anymore.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #21,268 of 28,992

Sorry, forgot to reply to your question properly. If I never heard the Rega / Schit combo then yes I would be able to enjoy the music but I would be upset that I spent so much money on such a very slight change to my HD598

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #21,269 of 28,992

Sorry, forgot to reply to your question properly. If I never heard the Rega / Schit combo then yes I would be able to enjoy the music but I would be upset that I spent so much money on such a very slight change to my HD598

+1.  Great honest answer!

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #21,270 of 28,992
the centrance will drive the hd800 quite well,it is a nice piece of gear....i think it has ample power to drive all cans but it is not quite as refined as the hugo/mojo IMHO....but still quite good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back