The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #21,226 of 28,992

I alway hear "scales better" about HD800? How do you quantify this? What exactly is with the "better" gear that most people say that makes HD800 scale up. The better gear must must some attribute greater than the supposedly lesser gear. Then what is it exactly? Is it power output? THD+N numbers? 

Or is it just HD800 sounded differently with different amps and you prefer one over the other?

Better - is a subjective term.

That said, to my ears, I go to the real instruments in a live band that a childhood friend plays and manages.   The closer I get to that sound out of my headphone rig, the "better" I say it is.  Then again, the results are judged by my ears.     So.

You may be partially correct about this statement.  "Or is it just HD800 sounded differently with different amps and you prefer one over the other?"

Try using a FiiO E18 to drive an HD800 as opposed to using a Mass Kobo 404.  List down a set of criteria, e.g., Bass Body, Separation, Treble Air, etc..

Then compare.  The results may be biased according to the assessor's ears but at least you get to have a better idea about how the HD800 scales.

I am only replying to your questions -- IN NO WAY AM I PREACHING.

Allow me to borrow and modify a quote by Stendhal, To each his own in this hobby of unparalleled subjectivity.    
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #21,227 of 28,992

Better - is a subjective term.

That said, to my ears, I go to the real instruments in a live band that a childhood friend plays and manages.   The closer I get to that sound out of my headphone rig, the "better" I say it is.  Then again, the results are judged by my ears.     So.

You may be partially correct about this statement.  "Or is it just HD800 sounded differently with different amps and you prefer one over the other?"

Try using a FiiO E18 to drive an HD800 as opposed to using a Mass Kobo 404.  List down a set of criteria, e.g., Bass Body, Separation, Treble Air, etc..

Then compare.  The results may be biased according to the assessor's ears but at least you get to have a better idea about how the HD800 scales.

I am only replying to your questions -- IN NO WAY AM I PREACHING.

Allow me to borrow and modify a quote by Stendhal, To each his own in this hobby of unparalleled subjectivity.    
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly, but when we throw quantifier words like "adequate" and "scaling" to describe subjective differences with gears just makes impressions non-sensical. Impressions like "bass body" or "treble air" is very subjective. It could be good for you but too much for others or too little for some.

So going back to the question earlier "if Mojo is adequate to drive HD800", I am expective a yes or no answer in terms of an attribute than can be quantified like power output or THD+N numbers that when we reach a certain number, not a comparison on how it sound subjectively different from other amps. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #21,228 of 28,992
What headwhacker said, though it is pretty easy to hear when an amp can't manage the voltage swing with high-impedance headphones, as the perceived soundstage is small and narrow when it should be wide.

Speaking of the MASS-Kobo 404, they had that with a pair of HD-800s on the weekend at the Tokyo show and that was a great match.  I liked it more so than his bigger amp with the HD800s.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #21,229 of 28,992
  What headwhacker said, though it is pretty easy to hear when an amp can't manage the voltage swing with high-impedance headphones, as the perceived soundstage is small and narrow when it should be wide.

Speaking of the MASS-Kobo 404, they had that with a pair of HD-800s on the weekend at the Tokyo show and that was a great match.  I liked it more so than his bigger amp with the HD800s.

True, but before you can even detect how narrow the soundstage is, the most obvious is the volume level. Especially, with tracks that has  very wide dynamic range. they sound very soft and/or the the sound has noticeable clipping/distortion at or near max volume level.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #21,230 of 28,992

True, but before you can even detect how narrow the soundstage is, the most obvious is the volume level. Especially, with tracks that has  very wide dynamic range. they sound very soft and/or the the sound has noticeable clipping/distortion at or near max volume level.

Yup, but an amp that clips with the HD800s wont meet spec to begin with. Even an amp that meets the spec, if the stereo image sounds like a blob in the middle, then it can't swing the voltage well enough. I found that amps that can't power planars well sound soft with fast music as a contrast. 

If I may lighten things up a bit, I did my Valhalla II review with the HD800s:

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #21,231 of 28,992

Yup, but an amp that clips with the HD800s wont meet spec to begin with. Even an amp that meets the spec, if the stereo image sounds like a blob in the middle, then it can't swing the voltage well enough. 

That or, the published spec is too generous than the actual output. I have seen a few amps and DAPs which the max output voltage is below than their published spec.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #21,232 of 28,992

Yup, but an amp that clips with the HD800s wont meet spec to begin with. Even an amp that meets the spec, if the stereo image sounds like a blob in the middle, then it can't swing the voltage well enough. I found that amps that can't power planars well sound soft with fast music as a contrast. 

If I may lighten things up a bit, I did my Valhalla II review with the HD800s:

Valhalla 2 is possibly the best amp for the HD800 in the budget range, and one has to spend three to four times its price to achieve a more revelatory experience.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #21,233 of 28,992
I tried the Mojo with the HD800s just now. Very good results, much the same, apart from warmer sound, as the Hugo, the Studio Six/Hugo rig still being a bit more effortless-sounding. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #21,234 of 28,992
anybody kniow a good price to purchased hd 800? or should i copem straight from amazon?
and a good small amp if anything to drive them.

mainly listen to
rap,
hiphop,
trap,
dub,
club music,
rock,
metal (like songs from rock band,guitar hero that kind of genre)

currently just using ie800 with my ipad air 2 and iphone 6,
and beats sports wireless 2 whenever i go workout

The used prices go for around $900 to $1,1100.
I seen a few sell for under $900, but they were heavily chipped & didn't come with the box or the cable etc...

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #21,235 of 28,992
Yup, Mojo Jojo is surprisingly very good with the HD800. I didn't expect much but I was pleasantly surprised.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #21,236 of 28,992
Exactly, but when we throw quantifier words like "adequate" and "scaling" to describe subjective differences with gears just makes impressions non-sensical. Impressions like "bass body" or "treble air" is very subjective. It could be good for you but too much for others or too little for some.

So going back to the question earlier "if Mojo is adequate to drive HD800", I am expective a yes or no answer in terms of an attribute than can be quantified like power output or THD+N numbers that when we reach a certain number, not a comparison on how it sound subjectively different from other amps. 

I do not hear with numbers. Words like adequate may also qualify as much as they quantify. So I beg your pardon if I use words to qualify instead of quantifying.

In the matter of describing what we hear, we may politely disagree.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #21,237 of 28,992
anybody kniow a good price to purchased hd 800? or should i copem straight from amazon?
and a good small amp if anything to drive them.

mainly listen to
rap,
hiphop,
trap,
dub,
club music,
rock,
metal (like songs from rock band,guitar hero that kind of genre)

currently just using ie800 with my ipad air 2 and iphone 6,
and beats sports wireless 2 whenever i go workout

Hi,

I got mine (brand new) for $1,029 including fast shipping from the Italian seller on Ebay. Its the first post on the ebay page when you search  for HD 800. 

Confirmation of Sennheiser warranty registration in case anyone worries that the seller is not authorised:- 

Dear Mr. Middleton,

Thank you for registering your product!

The following information you have provided has been stored in our data
base.
Please check them carefully.
If you wish to make any changes, please use our ticket system on
http://support.sennheiser.com/new and select category 5 (Help for Product
registration).

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #21,239 of 28,992

My HD800's were $976 USD brand new and I bought them from an online company in Australia.

Thats very useful information for future reference.

What is the name of the online company and do they sell a wide range of headphones?

Thx

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #21,240 of 28,992

Valhalla 2 is possibly the best amp for the HD800 in the budget range, and one has to spend three to four times its price to achieve a more revelatory experience.

I am really enjoying my Valhalla 2 also. I chose this amp based upon a lot of positive feedback in head-fi and purchased without even hearing it. In my opinion it is very neutral and I can listen to this amp for hours on end. The HD800 / Valhalla lets me distinguish between all of my sources very easily and I find I am enjoying my music (which hasn't always been the case on my audio journey).  I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back