The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #21,287 of 28,989
  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-participant-report-bob-katz

Scroll down.

This one as well
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-bob-katz-eqing-headphones-harman-target-response#mr3lq3vQY3vkv7F2.97

Katz's advised that EQing headphones doesn't suffer some of the downsides of EQing full speaker systems, but I can't remember in what Katz publication I read it.

I use Jriver MC21 parametric EQ (like Katz) after comparing HP response with Harman Target Curve and then modelling the EQ needed in separate software (Peter's Equalizer APO Configuration) and then adjust by ear from there. The results have been very satisfying.

Frank

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #21,288 of 28,989

This one as well
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-bob-katz-eqing-headphones-harman-target-response#mr3lq3vQY3vkv7F2.97

Katz's advised that EQing headphones doesn't suffer some of the downsides of EQing full speaker systems, but I can't remember in what Katz publication I read it.

I use Jriver MC21 parametric EQ (like Katz) after comparing HP response with Harman Target Curve and then modelling the EQ needed in separate software (Peter's Equalizer APO Configuration) and then adjust by ear from there. The results have been very satisfying.

Frank

I have been playing around with the EQ as well (I also use JRMC20 Parametric EQ) 1 thing I find is when switching back and forth (EQ to non EQ)  It gets very evident how much dynamics are lost (For Me)  would you mind sharing your settings ?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #21,290 of 28,989
  I have been playing around with the EQ as well (I also use JRMC20 Parametric EQ) 1 thing I find is when switching back and forth (EQ to non EQ)  It gets very evident how much dynamics are lost (For Me)  would you mind sharing your settings ?

That's because the EQ reduces volume (remember the preamp?). You'd have to increase the volume when switching to the EQ by about 4db or so (maybe more) from the amp for an accurate comparison.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #21,293 of 28,989

This one as well

Frank

Ditto!

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #21,294 of 28,989
Can someone explain why someone would sell a pair of HD800s? I just got a pair and I absolutely love them. I tried them about a year ago and fell in love with them. The biggest gripe I hear is they don't have bass and they reveal too much detail making it unlistenable. Neither I feel is an issue on my modest setup. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #21,295 of 28,989
HD800 is definitely a good benchmark for a top headphone but there are others which might suit different people better. 

For all its superb comfort, I actually found the Ethers more comfortable and while the HD800 scales very well, I found the Ether to be technically superior on the same amp and I preferred its signature slightly more. 

I kept both for 2 months while I was debating which one to sell and I ended up selling the HD800. It wasn't an easy decision as I really did enjoy it but I couldn't justify keeping both. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #21,296 of 28,989
  HD800 is definitely a good benchmark for a top headphone but there are others which might suit different people better. 

For all its superb comfort, I actually found the Ethers more comfortable and while the HD800 scales very well, I found the Ether to be technically superior on the same amp and I preferred its signature slightly more. 

I kept both for 2 months while I was debating which one to sell and I ended up selling the HD800. It wasn't an easy decision as I really did enjoy it but I couldn't justify keeping both. 

I was never a fan of mrspeaker. Despite that I thought the looks of the ethers looked awesome. 

I plan to get my Hd800 painted. Matte black and another color like the hd800s.

I also plan to get a headphone stand that looks like easter island.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #21,297 of 28,989
I would like to hear some peoples experiences with OTL amps paired with the HD800.........................For what ever reason I keep finding myself looking at OTL.  My first amp in headphones was the Schiit Valhalla I had it paired with the Schiit uber bifrost and listened to the HD650, and then later the HE500.  I keep romanticizing about the sound I had

while my current rig is way more resolving and articulate I keep looking for that almost  hallucinogenic sound signature, It always showed up after a couple hours

Man I miss that sometimes

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #21,298 of 28,989

while my current rig is way more resolving and articulate I keep looking for that almost  hallucinogenic sound signature, It always showed up after a couple hours

Man I miss that sometimes

If it showed up only after a couple of hours, it was probably your mind that was going hallucinogenic, not the gear 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back